Big "Old Install" Coming Up

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by WRXCoupe, Feb 26, 2008.

1. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

My original plan was uppipe/downpipe/cat back Stage2 I do have AP2. Make a long story short I suddenly lost my mind and purchased a td05 Big 16g/Deatsch Works Injectors and a Walbro fuel pump. I ran out of cash with the tmic(unless I can find a used one), but I did get the Y pipe for the stock TMIC and will probably get a turbo inlet pipe. I have to save the rest of my funds for the install and Mr Siegels fine tuning. Thanks for all those that have conrtibuted so far. Yeeha

2. techlord

techlord Active Member

sweet congrats bro, I would try to get an ebay huge TM. I want to say somone has one on here they were looking to sell, I got mine for 100 so they are not that costly, and the difference was noticable to me from STI TM to the ebay one. But definitely do not use the 02 TM is it just too small.

3. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Which TM did you get? SS warned against the e-bay versions. Realistically I can't swing the 500+ I have been seeing for aftermarket TM's. I have looked at the Godspeed e-abay TMIC, per Gosdspeed it uses the same design as the Greddy and have seen some OK reviews on NASIOC etc. on it. I am open to all suggestions. Just a foot note I have been searching for the STI TMIC they are hard to come by.

4. schneid

schneid Member

what did SS warn you about in ref. to the ebay tmic?

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

SSAC one on ebay is the best

6. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

congrats on the big purchase!! I guess the warranty is up :)

7. WJM

WJM Banned

I've got an STi one that I am NOT willing to part with....sorry.

Ebay one is better than stock...

8. techlord

techlord Active Member

I ended up with the hyperflow which is the same size as the ebay one. I had the ebay one and just did not like the look (hyperflow is more polished and says HYPERFLOW). I know SS did not say to stay away from the ebay TM cause when I went from the ebay back to the STI TM he said switch back and he was right I did switch back to the HUGE one just not the ebay.

For reference I notice no difference from the ebay and my hyperflow, I do however notice a big difference between the STI and either HUGE TM ebay or hyperflow. they are a PITA to install but I have done it so many times it is a piece of cake.

one thing is certain do not use that dinky stock TM at least do an STI TM but for the price of those these days you may as well get the ebay one.

9. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

He just mentioned buyer beware. Tell me a little more about SSAC. What do you like about it?

10. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

No Mas Warranty:hsnono:

11. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

This will be a temp unit until I can get the good stuff, so athestics takes a back seat to functionality with said........................what might you-all recommend or have for sale. Thanks WJM I won't bother you for anything alse.............4now:naughty:

12. WJM

WJM Banned

lol....

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this

:coolugh:

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

you should also consider a shroud to fit the huge TMIC. otherwise the air just bounces off of it. and maybe even a larger hood scoop. IIRC the larger shrouds are meant for the bigger scoops anyways

15. WJM

WJM Banned

yeah, bigger hood scoop with splitter/ducting FTW.

16. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Okay this poses a slight dilemna. My install day is scheduled for this Sunday. I have Stage two with the turbo, injectors, Walbro and TMIC Y hose in the mail. I do not think I'll be able to swing a TMIC by sunday. Do you think it would be possibe to bolt the 16g on when I do the up and down and run the stock TMIC set up with less boost until I get the funds together for an apropriate TIMC? I feel I f I could accomplish this then I could atleast get the turbo on when the up and down go on and retune when I upgrade the TMIC?

17. WJM

WJM Banned

Run wastegate pressure.

18. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

What do you think WJM? Should I just do the stage two and then run it like that for a while until I am proper with the parts? This is a daily driver I got no back up if this car is down. Looks like I'll need a splitter and new hood scoop as well as a TMIC and assembly. By the way I am bidding on two STI TMICS right now. I might stick with the STI TMIC since it is a clean install. I've noticed some drama with the fitment of bigger units in the 02WRX's.

19. WJM

WJM Banned

I would wait until you can do it ALL AT ONE TIME with ALL THE CORRECT PARTS and be able to get it tuned either the SAME DAY or the day after.

Thats just me. All or nothing. No compromises.

That way you dont risk something happening.

20. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Makes sense!

21. WJM

WJM Banned

Sure does.

22. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

With that said you may know this being a tech. I am looking at a STI JDM Splitter/ Shroud and Hood Scoop for a 2002-03 STI or wrx would you recommend this. It is from a Suby dealer.

23. WJM

WJM Banned

Make sure its 2002~2003 WRX Specific...aka the JDM STi pieces. They were aval. in the US as SPT parts.

24. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

"They were aval. in the US as SPT parts". Basically ask the parts guy if they're SPT parts as apposed to JDM

25. WJM

WJM Banned

Kinda. Hopefully they have the ORIGINAL SPT catalog that has the correct numbers in it. In 2004 they dropped the 2002~2003 STi scoop from the SPT catalog. I dont even have that part number or a catalog with it in there. :(

26. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

27. WJM

WJM Banned

Sweetness.

28. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

There goes my paycheck dammit

29. evil_wagon

evil_wagon Member

30. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Sorry about creating a run on thread. Since this is a part of the install I feel it is relevant. I will ultimately need a hood scoop. I am looking at going with the stock JDM STI hood scoop/spliiter/shroud vs aftermarket hood scoop/jdm sti splitter/shroud. I have seen some pretty cool aftermarket scoops that state they are a direct bolt on for my year 02 up to 4" high. Many of them have mesh, which I am concerned may create turbulence.

Anyone have experience and does size really matter:naughty:(with hood scoops)? I will be running a big 16g most likely an STI intercooler my goal is a conservative 260-275 at the wheels.

31. WJM

WJM Banned

Get the JDM spec equipment for your car. I'm not a big fan of those aftermaket ones...however, if painted to match, they look fine. The mesh is for looks only...it does not affect airflow across the intercooler noticeably.

32. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

It's in the mail. 2002 (STD/JDM) STI hood scoop/splitter&shroud. It will be painted Sedona Red a soon as possible. All I need is the damn intercooler. Regarding the intercooler. The guy I bought the scoop from mentioned I would need a new mounting bracket assembly if I purchased a used STI intercooler. I realized I would need hoses etc, but would I require a bracket assembly to upgrade from the wrx-sti intercooler for the bugeye?

33. WJM

WJM Banned

you might...I've fitted them before with no issue tho.

34. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Or get the ssac tmic. I found them to be as must better than most of the other ebay intercoolers. The workmanship is decent, the fin density is only ok, but the pressure drop is around .2 psi vs the sti or wrx tube and fin style intercooler which have a pressure drop of around 2.2 if I remember correctly. This translates into being able to run the boost that much higher and the turbo not having to work any harder...long story short if you are currently running 15.2 psi for example, you could run it up to 17.2 psi and the turbo would be working the exact same and not running any hotter or getting out of the efficiency range of the turbo in doing so.

I spoke to Scott about this and while he said that the more expensive ones have a higher fin density (read better cooling), they also have a higher pressure drop across the intercooler which means having to work the turbo harder and thus running it further out of its efficiency range and making more heat. So it kind of balances out and you can get them usually cheaper than the sti intercooler.

They are HUGE though and an upgraded scoop is recommended. I went with a taller aftermarket carbon fiber scoop and then painted it body color. For the seal, I used a good high quality rubber weather stripping that seals perfectly. I did not need any special brackets or anything else to use the SSAC bracket. I think all done and told I paid $145 shipped or something like that and it came with a BOV that I sold for $50 for a net of $95. It came with a new y-pipe that was a hard pipe, so I did not need the samco y pipe and sold that as well.

Just my thoughts though...

35. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

WRXCoupe, if you don't mind me asking what did they charge for the scoop ducting? I have the JDM scoop, but no ducting at the moment.

36. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Thanks that is great info, appreciate it!

37. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

38. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

39. youtellme

youtellme New Member

I dont wanna thread jack but im planning a BIG 16G Evo3 turbo install myself and i was going to go with a FMIC. Does anyone know if the ebay FMIC's will fit under the stock bumpers with enuff clearance or will i have to bring out Mr.Dremel? Also with a FMIC would it be better to run a hood scoop still or change over to a reverse cowl?

40. WJM

WJM Banned

the ebay fmic that liquidforce has does no clear the stock beam. If there are smaller ones, like the Injen FMIC, it should.

41. youtellme

youtellme New Member

42. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Huge thanks to Kingrex, FACE and Afande for helping with the install. King and FACE worked their asses off! Everything went smooth accept for the STi catback. There was some sort of loose shroud or god knows what inside the stock Sti axle back, so that was not going on. Kingrex had a new Blitz Nur so I bought it from him. One sweet axle back! Installed the up-pipe(turbo xs) Downpipe (Injen SES), Sti mid-pipe and Blitz Nur axle back. I need a different mid-pipe though. We worked on that SOB for about two hours and it is not sealing at the flange with the DP. Afande wrapped the down and Up and I am posting pictures of that , damn fine job.
    Sti TMIC bolted up no problems. Then loaded stage 2. Big damn difference, pulling real nice, Blitz Nur axle back is subtle as hell no melon launcher, rumbles nice at open throttle. I will post pic's. Once we figure out the midpipe and the exhaust leak is fixed, next install day: injectors, turbo(Big 16) and Scott Siegel.

43. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Congrats. Sorry I couldn't make it.

44. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

There is always next time.

45. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

the axleback was a stromung not a nur spec. and it does sound sexy

46. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

What he said,:naughty: including sexy

47. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

ahhh thats what i had on my 02.....I loved that exhaust!!!

48. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  49. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

By the way the D/P-mid-pipe 3" to 2.5" drama solved by Midas! Yup that's right Midas! I went to Midas on Abernathy and Roswell Rd "Sal" was the tech. He took the current stock STi 2.5" mid pipe and cut it off from the end of the resonator to the down pipe mating flange(I did Retain resonator). Welded a flex pipe between the resonator and the D/P, welded a huge new flange to the D/P mating end of the flex pipe for the 3" D/P flange to bolt on too and it bolted up clean. REAL CLEAN! Now the mid pipe has a nice flex to it and definitely not leaking at the flange. I have one custom ass cat back: Half Midas custom Mid/ resonator down= stock STi and Stromung axle back, HA!

It sounds sweet as hell. Totally quiet until you step on it! Sexy as King might add. I will show a pic of it!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  50. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Looks like fun! The local Subaru support is the BEST!!!