Storing a Shortblock?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by integroid, Mar 26, 2008.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone has any tips on how to store a short block? Anything I should lube? Should I wrap the block in a plastic bag or anything? Thanks for your help.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I have seen people use a light coat of grease (white lithium) on the cylinder walls and crank snout and to keep them from rusting.

How long are you planning on storing it?

3. integroid

Until I cam afford to have someone install it for me;) Probably at least a few months maybe up to a year?

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I know someone who can install it and he takes old parts as part of the payment. You may not need to save up as much as you think.

5. I would cover it with wd-40 and then wrap in trash bag and suck the air out with end of vacuum hose.Also I would put one of those packages of damp-rid in the bottom of the bag.(usu. at grocery store).

6. integroid

Funny, I think I knwo the same person:)

I honestly am still debating if I should keep the old short block for a rainy day. It just seems like short block prices keep going up and up I might as well just save it or slowly build it.

7. integroid

That was exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

8. WJM

WJM Banned

WD40 will only last a few weeks. I found this out the hard way.

HEAVY grease and LOTS of it on the cyl walls, both ends of the crank and any other surface that is steel, then wrap it REALLY good with packaging wrap.

Store is in a DRY PLACE. Aka NOT a garage floor. Stick it in your bedroom closet. Thats best.

I have about 7 shortblocks on my garage floor...they are all ruined now due to the amount of moisture there. All of them rusted.

I'm not a happy person with that situation.

9. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Wow I learnded something new today! Really good info, gotta love it!

10. integroid

What kind of heavy grease are we talking about here?

11. integroid

What kind of heavy grease are we talking about here? Spray type or a tub of grease?

12. WJM

WJM Banned

tub of grease...like heavy wheel bearing grease.

13. integroid

Do you think heavy grease like that will harm the shortblock once it is put together and fired up? More so thinking about the cylinder walls.

14. WJM

WJM Banned

No. Before install you clean it all off. It may smoke some in the first few miles if the grease gets down into the rings. However, you want to protect the block from rust. I'll deal with some smoke for a few minutes vs the block rusting and needing work later on that will cost money.

I used to store lots of blocks like this.

15. riddlinkidd66

riddlinkidd66 Member

where to get greese like this? autozone?

16. integroid

Yup, autozone, advance, walmart, etc...

17. Gawrx

Gawrx Member

Gun oil has excellent rust prevention additives. Another good rust preventer oil is Marvel Air Tool oil.

18. dpbgst13

dpbgst13 Member

19. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

best place to store it........under the hood. :D

20. Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd Member

Wipe the cylinders down with oil and you should have used assembly lube on the rod bearings an crank.

That will keep everything fresh for awhile.

Wrap it with shrink Wrap TIGHT and you should be good for 60-90 days