center diff

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sleeper31204, Apr 13, 2008.

1. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

got a question...

the other day i lost a few gears in my transmission, and although i know it sucks. it was a replaced tranny, and i still had my old one lying around, good thing to. but the one i took out, factory my02 5mt, it was the center diff that was going bad. now that i have to rely on it to last, i figure ill just fix it.

so, to the center diff shop. any recommendations?

i was thinking with going with the cusco tarmac center diff, i like the split it will give, but are there any cons with this set up ill have, factory 5mt with this diff?

thanks for any advise and (or) thoughts.

-William...

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Good luck, I would like to know too

3. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

4. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

If you put in the cusco tarmac it is HIGHLY recommended to install a front diff.

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

You might as well go with an upgraded front and center diff if you've got the tranny out of the car.

6. WJM

WJM Banned

you NEED to upgrade the front and rear diff if you are going to do the cusco tarmac center diff. The CTCD is NOT an LSD, its a torque biasing diff. If you unload one set of drive wheels (both front or both rear) then you have no more motion, just wheel spin. This is MUCH less likely when you have GOOD front and rear LSD action. A 1.5 way rear and helical front does well in most applications (Tarmac) but for off road...you may need a 2 way in the back and 1.5 in the front.

7. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

Cool, I talked to parts at S.O.G. And a new OEM center diff is only 550$, so I'll just be keeping it cheap for now. But thanks to all for the help.

-William...

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Do you have an extra front ring and pinion you want to sell?

9. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

I'll sell you my old tranny set, its got the 4:11 final drive gear in it. The gears broke in it, so I think everything else is good to go, just need gear set.

Call me @ 4783189721
    -William...