What does a guy have to do for a decent alignment?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by crashtke, Feb 29, 2008.

1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Ok ANYONE have a recommendation for a shop that can do a good alignment on a lowered car? I have had 3 alignments done on my car since I have had it and ALL 3 times I am still wearing the hell out of the inside of ALL 4 tires. The first time was at a pep boys. No good, ate up the insides of the tires. Next 2 times I took it to Subaru of Gwinnett. Both times the tech ASSURED me that it would no longer eat the insides of the tires. I even had Will do the alignments and I am STILL eating up the inside edge of all 4 tires at twice the rate of the rest of the tire.

I am not driving this car nuts or anything else. The last 15k since my last alignment has been almost entirely commuting mileage on the highway. I am getting tired of buying tires every 15k miles and still having probably another 20k miles left on all but the inside edge of my tires.

So if anyone knows of a shop that has experience doing alignments on cars that have been lowered in the Gwinnett area please let me know. When I put this next set on, I want the alignment to be right.

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Gran Turismo East.

Not in the Gwinnett area, but more than worth the drive.

3. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

do you have the alignment specs they gave to you?

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Maybe there's something else wrong. Take it to steven at classic

5. FACE

FACE Active Member

King at classic FTW!!!

6. If you could post the specs(printout) that might help.

7. WJM

WJM Banned

Me.

But I'm far away.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Another vote for GTE, they've allways treated me right and I'm fairly low on RCE yellows...

9. crashtke

No, I don't have the specs any more, but everything was "within spec" but just barely. When Will did it the Toe was almost perfect, but I remember camber was set funny. I will admit I don't know much about aligning cars with aftermarket suspensions. But I remember back when I was working in a shop we would even go so far as to get the person to sit in the car with it set down and that would actually make a minor difference. So these things can be difficult.

10. WJM

WJM Banned

I aligned your car in the past at some point?

11. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Go to Gran Turismo East, Tell Kieran you want to make an appointment with Jeff for an alignment. They are open until 7pm Thursdays. Jeff has been doing alignments for over 20 years on everything from every day camrys, to the local SCCA club racers to bentlys. There is a reason that I bring my car to GTE.

12. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

GTE is the only place I let align my car now. Give Kieran a call and make an appointment to have Jeff align the car. There is no one as good as Jeff.

13. DaveH

DaveH Member

I'd also recommend GTE!

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Jeff just recently aligned my car after getting the coilovers on. The guys over at GTE rock. I highly recommend them!

15. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

+1 for GTE.

Also, "within spec" doesn't mean much unless you know what the specs are. Very likely they are factory spec and are not going to work well with your lowered car.

16. WJM

WJM Banned

the factory's idea of 'in spec' is garbage. Period.

Its fine for your daily driver thats 100% stock and on stock-ish tires... but anything beyond that, just say NO.

17. crashtke

Lol, Will, you were the one that told me it was in spec and that it would not wear funny any more...but you are right, you showed me the print out that said it was in spec and it most certainly is not wearing the tires correctly.

I guess I will look into the GTE guys. How much do they charge for an alignment?

18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Price has gone up in the last year or so.. used to be $85, now its $100... its worth it though to get it done right the first time...

19. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Another one for GTE. They are the go to place for an alignment in GA. They did a great job on the s2000, the legacy, and my room mates 02 wrx with aftermarket camber plates and suspension parts. Plus, how cool is it to be sitting in the car when they do it so the settings are correct for the person who is actually driving the car....i mean really

20. WJM

WJM Banned

In spec to me for modded suspension cars is 0.00 toe front and rear. Camber/caster/driving habits will determine tire wear from there.

Stock-ish suspension cars with the non crappy rear suspension (2000+ Legacy) I usually set with slight toe in front and rear. Cant get more than -1.2~-1.5 camber in most cases on lowered cars, stock-stock cars no more than -1.0 at most.

Ashley's WRX is at 0.00 toe F/R, -2.5 front camber, +9.1 caster and -1.5 rear camber. No uneven tire wear.

My Outback is at 0.00 toe F/R, -2.5 front camber, +7 caster and -2.0 rear camber. No uneven tire wear.

I also had similar alignments on my WRX and 2.5 RS....again, no uneven tire wear.

What kind of 'uncorrect' tire wear are you seeing?

21. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

+11ty For GTE. They're the only place I'll take my own cars now.

Siegel

22. crashtke

The same exact thing I have been seeing on the past 3 sets of tires, the inside edge of all 4 tires is being eaten.

Scott, thanks for the input.

23. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Sounds like toe issues.

I'd crawl underneath and look for bent steering arms and/or tie rods. Then I'd look at the bushings at the ends of them to see if they're mangled.

I'd check the rear real well. If something in the rear is off, it'll pull the car sideways during driving and may cause the wear issues you're seeing.

24. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Gte Ftw!

25. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

So that's where Jeff (mckenzietj) works now? I shoulda taken my car in for an alignment when he was down the street.

Alpharetta, isn't it?

26. Meredith

Meredith Banned

GTE is in Doraville.... right off of Buford Hwy.... Jeff the owner and alignment guy is not a member of wrxatlanta

27. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

robert fuller @
    robispec.com

just get in on his site to hav to aligned.

a lil $$ but well worth it.

28. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Different Jeff

29. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

well some company made a tire that has the inside (which a lowered car would wear) thread is a harder compound then the rest. i could've swore it was nitto but after a little research i came up with nothing. they do make them tho if you cant figure out your alignment problem

30. 1984

1984 Member

You're right, it was Nitto that was advertising that their Neo Gen tire wearing more evenly on lowered vehicles. Of course if you read the fine print at the bottom of the ads it would say "as compared to xyz Nitto tire."

http://nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Eneogen

31. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I would say Gran Turismo. They did an outstanding job on my WRX wagon alignment and they are also extremely professional, or drive to NC to see the Will....

Mark

32. Tbishop

Tbishop Member

if you want it done right do it your self.

33. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^
    if you have an alignment rack...

34. Tbishop

Tbishop Member

alighnment

spec is abroad range. 3 causesnoff the top of my head1.toe,tie rod, possibly eelbearing.

35. schneid

schneid Member

hi

36. HK40EXP

HK40EXP New Member

Gran Turismo they did a great job on my UGM 07 STi, the guys there are great to talk with about anything... I will for sure go back when I get my Tein set up....

37. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Let us know when you are ready for the Teins, or I can get you a smoking deal on the Racecomp Engineering Coilovers.

Matt

38. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Going to GTE on monday after some pothole fubared the rear thrust (so when i accelerate the car turns right).

Post whore?

39. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

I do what I can....Matt

40. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I just got back from GTE. Those guys are good!

Front

-2.8 L & R exactly
    0.06 Toe out L & 0.08 Toe out R
    3.2 Caster L 3.8 Caster R

Rear;
    -1.8 L & R exactly
    0.01 toe out L & R exactly

Great work!

41. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

That Sir is a mans alignment....don't be scared of the toe out.

Gran Turismo will be at the next WRXATL dyno day that Alex will be posting about shortly.

42. dpbgst13

dpbgst13 Member

Just went to GTE. My whole suspension is new except trailing arms. And this was the best suspension mod i have ever had to my car by far!!!

43. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

sweet! i got the respect of the bigballer:)

44. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

45. Mykl

Mykl New Member

What he said.

46. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

+1 for GTE too! FTW!

47. Mykl

Mykl New Member

Does GTE do corner balancing? If so, what's the charge?

48. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Jeff at Tires Plus on Old Milton just did mine, and I'm very happy. He drives a bugeye WRX himself and came recommended from other guys who really drive their cars hard. And he's there on Saturdays.