911-need Help W/emissions Tomorrow! 4/30/08.

Discussion in 'General Community' started by lisa, Apr 29, 2008.

1. lisa

lisa New Member

-I bought my 2005 wrx with the check engine light on, and now it's time to get my tax renewed, and being too broke at the moment to fix it--i'm temp. gettin just the "emissions" paperwork out of the way...however, i need somebody with the same yr/model. i know its sort of the last min. post....but somebody please help!!! :eek:hnoes:

2. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

This is sketchy, yes, but you can pay your way through some places for less than it would cost you to fix the car....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

doenst the ecu have to match with the scanned vin?

4. lisa

lisa New Member

my heads spinning in circles because nobody can really tell me exactly whats wrong with my car right now...i went to see scott at topspeed, and we really couldnt come up with a conclusion-so, went to the dealership and the same results..seems like i have major wire issues goin on? i dont know if the ecu has to be the same or not...the guy just told me to see if i can find the same yr and model and we'll try from there =/

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Couldn't you use an accessport to remove the CEL?

6. WJM

WJM Banned

What the code for the CEL?

When I worked at SOG, I was the one who went over your car before it was sold, when I checked the CEL code it was a P0420. That can be easily fixed by someone with a laptop, EcuFlash 1.34 and a tactrix cable. Voila! no emissions failure.

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn Will you have a good memory

8. WJM

WJM Banned

I sure do....now what are you doing in ogame besides being a n00b?

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have the cable and program loaded on my laptop. I also know a guy that will tell me if it is going to fail before it actually fails. You could clear the code before you got there then let him run his test.

10. jayj713

jayj713 Member

I thought you have to be CEL clear for a while before you pass the test.

11. WJM

WJM Banned

There are monitors that run for each major system to see if its ok or not.

for SUBARU, those systems are:

MissFire
    Heated O2 Sensor (1 and 2, so two monitors here)
    Cat monitor
    EGR (only on models with EGR)
    Evap
    another heated O2 monitor

You can only have ONE monitor show 'incomplete' and still pass. Meaning, you can get the O2, evap, egr, missfire monitors to complete, but the cat one to be incomplete, and it will pass. However, EVAP requires a specific drive cycle in order to complete, by the time a normal person gets it to complete (usually 5~10 normal trips to work/lunch/etc) the cat monitor has long failed. The cat monitor REQUIRES two drive cycles to pass/fail.

So, you can reset the ECU and get all but the cat monitor to pass in one drive cycle, in which at that point you must IMMEDIATELY go to the emissions testing location and get it tested.

Easiest thing to do is delete the 420, its not important at all. The other systems are.

So...if the OP would kindly post up what the code is, we can go further.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  12. lisa

lisa New Member

sorry for the late respond, been so busy with work. anywho-the guy that was suppose to do my emissions that day, has the paper with all the codes. however, from the top of my head i know there was three codes: one for the cat system (i dont even have a cat on my car..). one for the map sensor. and another one for the gasket.
    **WJM** could you run a test for my car PLEASE. one day?

13. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I only had to put techron fuel additive, fill tank, reset batt. drive 30-60min and passed the test but you are throwing way more cel's than me.

14. WJM

WJM Banned

Cat code is easy. Reflash-delete!

But the other two codes, I need the numbers.

I can only run a test if you drive to FL. ;)

15. lisa

lisa New Member

ouchie. errrrr im gettin' frustrated because i had two people already reset my codes with their computers.

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

might be the best to take to to a professional and get it fixed

17. WJM

WJM Banned

You cant just reset it and hope it fixes it.

For the P0420 fix, you have to have someone who KNOWS what they are doing, meaning someone VERY familiar with SUBARU ECU reprogramming and the proper hardware to do it. PM LiquidForce, he can do it.

As for the other two things, you have to actually diagnose the problem and fix it. Resetting the ECU is not the answer.

18. lisa

lisa New Member

WJM, i work with lisa and am a old master tech...

Your knowledge, liquid force, and I together will fix this car..

Ok, the three codes are po420, po108, po244.
    My subaru tech friend in Chicago is telling me that because the hi flow no converter down pipe the engine is over turbo pressuring and throwing the other two codes. he said a stock converter would be a fix for all the codes.. Is this true??

19. WJM

WJM Banned

You would have to install all 3 stock cats (1 in up pipe, the other two in the stock downpipe) in order to completely cure the P0420.

P0108: Most likely replace the MAP sensor (on throttle body). Need to look at ECU data to confirm.

The P0244 is likely related to the P0108 if the MAP sensor is defective.

20. Galimore

Galimore Member

Hmm well I have the same year & model and i'm running on two cats...not sure what I can do to help but I'll keep an eye on the thread :)

21. WJM

WJM Banned

any OTS map for the AP deletes the P0420....unless they follow SCCA ST* rules and stopped turning it off for the OTS ST* maps.

22. Trey

Trey Active Member

Resetting the codes and removing the codes are two different things. ;)

Integroid and Liquidforce can remove the codes so you can pass the test. Just keep in mind you will need to drive the car for a few days before you get the test.

Or you can put your cats back on, take the test then take them back off.