Brake prep for The Dragon?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Dante, May 7, 2008.

1. Dante

Dante Member

Hey all, headed to the Dragon this weekend with a small group of friends. First time in this car. Should I go ahead and switch to ATE Superblue? Only 5k on the car so far and the brakes feel fine.

In the S2000 I didn't get much fade unless I was driving sloppy. Seems like folks recommend an immediate swap to better fluid in the Subys though. Any thoughts?

2. Vektra

Vektra Member

cant help as far as the brakes go and I don’t mean to go off subject but I heard there was a big time crackdown on the dragons tail, is that still going on?

ok I looked at their site and they still have some stuff about it

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

I suggest you go just to see it, it’s beautiful! But I also suggest you find some good roads outside of that area, I have driven a lot of roads that are around there that are just as if not more fun to drive. Again sorry about the highjack.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Get Hp+'s and a high heat brake fluid. I was fine last time I went without the super blue, but I fried my brakes on Wolf's Pen (baby dragon) on cheap pads and old fluid.

When you get up there, make a nice pass through to the big dirt parking lot before the bridge. If you don't see any cops on your way there, do what you want on your way back, because it sits on the Tennessee border, cops wil be coming from behind you so you don't have to worry about one sitting on the other side of a corner.

Be safe, have fun, and don't dare touch the double yellow.The white line (shoulder) is yours, the yellow is God's.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

You don't have to do anything really. I have done it on stock brakes at a fairly spirited pace and had no issues. Just give them some rest when you get to the end.

Also, I don't want to see you on killboy.com crossing the double yellow...

5. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I ran stock pads that had some wear on them and they did fine, but I have done lines and fluid though. I wouldn't worry about it though you should be fine.

6. Dante

Dante Member

Thanks for the opinions Guys! I think I'll try this first trip on my stock fluid and pads just to see.

Enforcement is there but less than it was late last year. Cherohala and Joyce Kilmer are our other routes.

Just to be clear, this is my first Dragon trip in the STi :D. I've been a regular up there in the S2000 in the last five years. Should be a blast in the new car!

Also, shoot me a PM if anyone wants to go.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've stayed on stock brakes, but I highly recommend upgrading the fluid. ATE is perfect. that's what I run and have had no issues. :)

8. Matt

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

ATE Brake fluid FTW!

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Oh shit, I didn't even realize you were one of the '08 drivers :rofl: you should be fine

11. longfury

longfury Active Member

08 sti should have no issues bone stock

12. Matt

dont be so sure about that....they use the same DOT 3 brake fluid in the STi that's in a stock WRX. which can overheat pretty quick...especially up there!

13. DaveH

DaveH Member

Yeah, I've cooked the std rotors/pads/fluid on a lot less than Dragon's Tail. Wolf Pen Gap heading East seems to do it every time. Huge brake fade. Then the inevitable warped front rotors.

Thanks for the advice re ATE fluid.

Now, what's a good replacement rotor?

As far as Dragon's Tail alternate routes go, have a look at Mad Maps. Some most excellent routes described in there.

Having said that, the best routes I have found are the ones that are less known. Amongst the best are the forestry roads West of Dahlonega, South of Suches. But: you really need a GPS for these!

14. Matt

a rotor is a rotor....

15. DaveH

DaveH Member

Um....can't agree with that.

Material spec, quality, venting, cross-drilling,.....

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

the Sti has brembo rotors and will do just fine. No need to worry about your rotors bro.

17. theish05

theish05 New Member

i was up there a month ago for the s2k event and i def felt some brake fad after hitting it up after about 10 times. if you feel your brakes fade, trust me, just take a break, cruse for a minute and there be ok after a min or two. there are some cops up there bring your radar detector but there are so many people up there that you usually get a warning from somebody before you cross one. if a guy a motorcycle taps his head, just slow down. a perfect time to let your brakes cool. drive safe!

18. Dante

Dante Member

Excellent weekend for the Dragon. Not nearly as crowded as the summer months and the weather was fantastic! Lots of LEO's though!

These brakes are great! Friday we got almost a full run and the car felt really good. Runs on Saturday and then Saturday night (Night Runs FTW!) felt great with no brake fade. Overall, the car was amazing. Might do the SS lines at some point though, just to stiffen up the feel.

Having previously owned an S2000...

STi Pros: Massive power. Steering is smooth and very accurate. Headlights are awesome. They nearly matched the total output of a miata running two extra hella driving lamps! Much better range and width than the S2000's HID's.

STi Cons: Had to shift 2-3 a little more since 2nd runs out at ~55mph (need to work on my heel/toe too apparently!). The seats suck! Felt like I was doing a lot more bracing than I should have. My passenger complained of a sore knee yesterday! Also, I've got a whine of some sort when turning. (Sounds like power steering/steering rack, etc).

Look for the car on killboy.com this week!

19. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

edit....thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008