turboing 2.5 rs 2004.... how to????

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by impreza jr., May 6, 2008.

1. impreza jr.

impreza jr. Member

number 1 is it the same block as the sti

number 2 what will i need?

number 3 how much?

and will the sti parts bolt straight up 2 the 2.5 rs block..... such as the intake and exhaust manifold... if so then will i just be able to get the sti or wrx turbo, tmic,y pipe, ecu......etc...etc

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

If you wanna push more than 7-8 lbs, I'm sure you'll need to change the heads. Honestly I don't think it will be worth doing. I've got an sti longblock I'll sell for the right price though

3. 1- No

2- Turbo, intercooler, exhaust piping, injectors, fuel pump, engine management, etc.....

3- You can find used turbo kits for $1000-$2000, search around

Better solution? Swap a WRX or STi motor..... less expensive (in the long run), more power, more reliability..... the RS motor won't stand up to much boost.....

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

You don't need to change the heads for more than 7-8psi. It's the pistons you gotta change.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

painful route, this one is

IIRC Ludespeed made a kit

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

WRX or STi swap is the way to go. Like previously said, it'll be much easier/cheaper in the long run.

7. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would just do a STi swap and I amagine you would need to think about EM

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Doing a WRX swap would be cheaper/easier

9. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

hold out for a WRX block I got a feeling that there will be a couple of them up for sale soon :coolugh:

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

so you gonna get that turbo from me, or not?

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I'd recomend selling your car, or trading it in on a wrx or sti. If its as clean as you said it is you should have no problem on trade in. You'll end up paying what it would have costs to swap it without the headache of doing it.

And if you do swap it, there's no real significance of your 04 body style, if it was a Gc or a wagon it would be worth it because it will be different. Your 04 sedan will appear to be just another wrx.

12. impreza jr.

impreza jr. Member

so how much would it be for an sti swap for the motor and tranny

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Well... I bought my motor for $3500. You'll need another transmission so add about 4k to that. I don't know what kind of engine management you will need.

All of that doesn't include labor.

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

$8-10k if you do it right. best bet is to buy a wrecked car and part out what you dont need/want

15. calmnothing

You can piece together a turbokit out of spare parts for less than $2000 if you do it right. Search rs25.com

16. schneid

schneid Member

I second this idea.

17. osborne519

osborne519 Member

well alternative ? what if u decide to go n/a what will it take to run with the turbos?

18. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Danny what are you talking about? Do you mean you want to convert to N/a? If that's what's u want, you and this kid should just trade

19. calmnothing

Uppipe, downpipe, turbo, intercooler, wrx subframe, wrx waterpump, various lines and such.

20. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

IIRC the most HP out of a 2.5L NA subaru motor is around 300whp. An NA 6cyl will make more power and torque but weigh more and be a pain in the ass to swap.

Get a motor and tranny if you want to keep the shell or just trade in your car for an STI or WRX.

21. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Allow me to ASSURE you that in the long run you will be MUCH happier (and richer) selling your RS and buying a WRX or STi.

Siegel

22. WJM

WJM Banned

No. Only in displacement, stroke, bore, oiling system design and crank design.

the EJ251/253 is open deck. The EJ255/257 is semi closed deck. The EJ255/257 have forged rods and hyperutectic (sp?) cast pistons which are much stronger than your stock ones. Those are the important differences.

You will need to drive to the nearest SUBARU dealership and trade in your RS for an 06~07 WRX, or an 05~06 STi. You will be MUCH happier this way.

Depends on what they give you for trade in. You can find excellent condition 05 STi's for $20,000 to $24,000. 06~07 WRX is similar in pricing depending on mileage.

But cost for a swap/build? It'll end up costing you as much as buying an STi or WRX.

Yes, most of it pretty much bolts up thanks to SUBARU cutting costs everywhere and making everything universal.

Again, as everyone else has stressed, dont try to swap/build it. Just buy a complete running car and drive it. Its not worth the hassle and money spent.

23. impreza jr.

impreza jr. Member

ok well thanks everyone for your input but to let everyone know i have listed my subaru for sale and hope to have a wrx by the end of the summer