Myth??? No you are a dumb ass.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, May 21, 2008.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

2. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

enough said... and it will mess with the over all performance of the car over time. In all it not worth the problem.

3. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

i wish i could email this guy to tell him that he is a douche bag

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah it will mess it up....eventually it'll blow up.

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I run premium in my honda civic, and it makes it drive happier

6. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

LOL...87 octane....welll they guy on Yahoo said its ok....boooom.....huh

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERWEBZ!!!!!!

8. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

FIXED

9. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Not to mention your car will even idle smoother with better gas.

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Actually I remember reading in the Import Tuner power pages a year ago that the guy they were dynoing used 87 since the day he drove his 02 off of the lot. In its stock state the car ran fine since the ECU did in fact adjust itself to the different octane. When they found out he wasn't using premium, they immediately filled up with premium and reset the ECU.

they noticed a 40 wtq gain. I am sure if you have a stock car and switch over to 87 your ECU will adjust itself so if you want to lose the power to save a couple bucks you shouldn't worry. I wouldn't try switching if you have a protune and not so stock goodies.

11. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I bought this car for performance and to have fun in it. If I need to save a few bucks that bad I'll ride the bus and leave the STi in the garage. Freaking Sheople

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

just because the ecu adjusts for the lower octane doesn't mean its running fine, dana. sure it will run, but it will knock like a sonofabitch. but 98% of drivers don't know/care what knock is. so they'll read this and actually do it.

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I myself only use premium :coolugh: which is why the pizza delivery business sucks right now

14. FACE

FACE Active Member

I saw a short block that had 19k on it and had been feed 87 sitting next to a short block that had 37k that was only feed 93 and I could not believe the difference between them! I feel sorry for the people spending the money on the higher octane that dont need it. (correct me if I am wrong...) using a higer octane gas than you are "tuned" for many decrease performance and mpg...

15. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

My dad told me a long time ago, that if you have a car that is running 87 octane, that you should put in a tank of premium every once in a while...it helps to burn off some of the deposits and crap left behind from the lower grade gas. Please bear in mind, he was an insurance agent.:dunno

16. WJM

WJM Banned

Your powertrain warranty is severely affected on EJ255/EJ257 equipped vehicles if the use of 87/89 octane fuel is used.

17. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I burned off my deposits in your mom last night...

Seriously.. that is more bullshit :) Run the octane that the manufacturer requires... having the ecu pull timing because you are a cheap ass is not a good solution. Alternately, I see no reason to run more than regular in a car designed for regular.

My car was built for regular, but I have an aggressive ecu and advanced timing that requires me to run premium, and gives me a couple extra hp.

18. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

lol! ouch...:fawk: :jerk:

pics?

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  19. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

20. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

anyone remember the bp tent where they had a gto with 2 gas tanks and 1 was reg and 1 was premium.. the valves were all gunked up on the reg and clean on premium

21. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Most cheap gas places don't put hardly any detergents in the non 93 gas so i'm not surprised

22. WJM

WJM Banned

thats the biggest marketing BULL SHIT I've ever seen.

I've had TONS of high mileage engines apart that were run ONLY on 87 and never had any of those 'fuel injection services' and shit.

Guess what the valves looked like?

Rather NOT THE FUCK GUNKED UP.

Fucking shit heads....anything to make money.

23. Vektra

Vektra Member

I can't find it but some guy at clubwrx did a test with 91 vs 87 in a wrx, he did it pretty methodically making sure to run a full tank of whatever he was testing before he started watching it, than running 3 tanks of the chosen fuel. Basically he said at the end of the day he got slightly better MPG for running premium and you would only save money on cheaper gas if the price difference was somewhere around 40-60 cent don’t remember exactly how much.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

25. WJM

WJM Banned

or 87.

26. Vektra

Vektra Member

your right, I'm an idiot. Fixed :)

27. This was the best part imo! :rofl:

Only a person driving a slow pos would say something like that.

EDIT: Can't we use lower oct while using our economy map? Will it still be harmful to the motor? I lost my accessport manual so I can't read up on the info of the map. Can someone help me out with this question?

28. WJM

WJM Banned

Yep.

My 1996 SUBARU Legacy Outback Wagon 4EAT is a perfect example. 1st year of the 'real' outback.

EJ25D engine. Says Premium fuel is RECOMMENDED in both the owners manual and fuel door.

The 1997~1999 ran on 87.

Guess what? If you run 87 or even 89 in it, its fucking SLOW AS BALLS. A hamster could outrun it. Even with an exhaust its still fucking slow. Plus you can hear it det'ing like no tomorrow and its surging all over the place trying to throw fuel and pull timing to make it not det.

91/93 in it, runs AWESOME and is reasonably quick. However, on even the BEST of days and babying the shit out of it, 28mpg was the best I could get...any faster than 70mph and forget about it.

Fast forward to when I figure out that the 1998 2.5 RS has the exact same pinout for the ECU...(more importantly, no 112mph speed limiter!!)

Wait, it makes 165hp/164tq and runs on REGULAR?!?!?!? My outback makes 155hp/155tq and REQUIRES 93!!!!!!!!

WTF...

Wait, parts check on engine internals...

Same compression ratio: check
    Cams? Wow, pretty much identical...VERY small changes in valve opening time and offset (some thing that subaru made to create swirl in the combustion chamber)

Other than the heads/pistons being different in terms of piston bowl and head dome shape, the engine is nearly the same.

Install RS ECU.

WHAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!! POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I can run it on 87 all day long....oh, and it gets 30mpg at 75~80 mph on the interstate.

Wait, there IS more...if I do run 93 in it and I let it relearn, there is stilla VERY noticable gain in power and fuel economy goes up to about 32~34 on the interstate.

However, around town on both 87 and 93 its still 26mpg.

Oh yeah, no det on 87 with the RS ECU.

Me thinks the 96 EJ25D ECU is screwy. All of them are like this.