Brakes clanking

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by beav, Apr 28, 2008.

1. beav

beav Member

I haven't found much on this but I'm pretty sure it's normal...I just want to get some confirmation. The front pads on my '06 STi are smacking/clanking up against the rotors something fierce. It mostly happens at low speeds - sometimes the left side, sometimes the right, other times both. From what I've gathered, this is common with Brembo-type calipers. Is there anything I need to be concerned with? Anything I can/should do to quiet them down? Thanks...

2. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I think I have this on the rear right side at low speeds, I don't know if it is normal. So I am curious what others have to say.

3. FACE

FACE Active Member

you should hear how hawk hp plus pads sound...they make all kinds of noise at low speed and stopping. The stopping power is more than worth all the noise!

4. beav

beav Member

I use HP+ pads...That's not the type of noise I'm talking about. This is a clanking sound like banging a brake pad against a rotor. Not squeaking...

5. FACE

FACE Active Member

Yeah I get that as well...Im not to concerened with it to be honest...

Anyone eles?

6. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

i get the clunk as well with my 04...its normal

7. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I get the noise as well at low speed i.e. parking. I have HPS pads but iirc I had the noise on the stock pads also

8. beav

beav Member

It seems like the calipers are sticking...It did this with the stock pads as well but seems to be getting worse - or maybe I'm just more in tune to it.

9. WRXBrakes

WRXBrakes New Member

The pads will click back and forth a bit as you switch directions - they are not retained with any anti-rattle clips in the fore/aft direction (only up/down by the cross springs)

Rear Hawk HPS are notorious for it.

No issue with it - but if it's REALLY loud I would say an inspection is worthwhile to make sure it's not something else.

10. beav

beav Member

Good to know...I thought I was going to have to get a 'friction reline' or something. :)

11. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

hawks pads here. they make the wierdest noises i wouldn't worry about it. especially in reverse for me.

12. beav

beav Member

I really think it's a Brembo thing. I had the same pads on single-pot Altima brakes previously and they never made the clanking sound.

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

I love all the looks I get when coming to a stop and dragging the brake! LOL

14. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

+1. Don't worry about it. You're fine.

do your HP+ pads squeak and squeal???? then go to AutoZone and buy the 99 cent packs of anti squeal goo they sell at the register. Two packs is all you need. Mine was HORRIBLE and now they're whisper quiet.

Someone said that they sell larger bottles of this stuff, but I've never seen it.

15. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

i think you have to ask for the large bottles they keep it behind the counter. personally im ok with the loud brakes the looks i get when am stopping are to much fun.

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You should hear what knockback sounds like if you think you have a problem ;)

17. 04STi-GUY

04STi-GUY New Member

so the squealing/screehing coming from the brakes is normal?? like someone else said mine only does it at low speed like parking or stopping at a light and when i am barely putting pressure on the pedal.