Uppipe install issues

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by feene1, Jul 20, 2008.

1. feene1

feene1 Member

Hey Guys,

I started my uppipe install yesterday and am running into an issue. I have the downpipe out and all the bolts off for the uppipe, but i am running into issues jacking the engine up on the passenger side. I removed the motor mount bolt on the passenger side but when i jack it up on the silver mount the whole car goes up. Any one have any ideas on what i might be doing wrong? THe air box has also been removed.

O ya, a word to the wise, where gloves when breaking the bolts loose. I ended up with 4 stiches in my hand.

Rob

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not the easiest solution, but instead of jacking up the motor, the guy who did my up-pipe for my bugeye just removed a corner piece of my headers... It should be the piece your hitting when trying to slide it out.... Just an idea..

3. feene1

feene1 Member

I am guessing he pulled it through the bottem then?

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yup... Still looked like a PITA but it came out... w/out jacking up the motor. Just remember you might have to replace the gaskets if they look shitty...

5. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

drop the exhaust manifold and pull the up pipe out from underneath the car. you will not be able to get it out from the top.

6. feene1

feene1 Member

Crap. Gonna have to wait then until I can get some exhaust gaskets. Would I still need to jack it up if I take it out through the bottom?

Thanks for the info.

7. kingwrex

if you take the egt sensor out of the up pipe you might be able to snake it out, but usually you still have to jack the engine up some.

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

we got mine out without jacking up ..

9. cannarella

cannarella Member

Get the EGT probe out and more then likely you can reuse the header gasket. We did on mine. It only had about 40K on it at the time. It will come out the bottom with help from above to twist it around and pull up on the turbo a bit.

10. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

I did mine this weekend also. I did a combination of both above. I unbolted the manifold to the block / cross pipe. We couldn't get it out due to the heat shields, but once we jacked up the motor, it all came out. I reused the gaskets to the manifold to block and manifold to cross pipe. So far no leaks. I have 77k on mine. It will be realitively easy to replace them if needed.

The biggest problem I had was the nuts that hold the manifold to the block (there are 4). There are studs in the block that the nuts attach / thread to. One of the studs came out and we could not get it back in. Ended up using a bolt of similar length.

Once you have the up pipe out you should be home free!.

11. feene1

feene1 Member

I have read that it is sometimes best to take the whole exhaust manifold down as 1 piece...ie keep the driver side and passenger side connected and drop the whole thing.

Any reccomendations?

12. jjanari

jjanari Member

I dropped the passenger side exhaust manifold and tried the "wiggle and twist" method with no dice. I ended up jacking up the engine and it fell right out. you might want to check nasioc or scoobymods.com for add'l tips because it's discussed frequently.

13. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ It's out.

Couldn't get the EGT sensor out, so I had to bend it a little.
    Then I rotated & slid it right up and out the top.
    No engine jacking or other problems to deal with.

14. kingwrex

good job ped.

15. feene1

feene1 Member

Peds the man. I couldn't believe he got it out through the top like he did.

16. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

takes a little skill but thats the fastest way

17. Cory

Cory Member

I removed Osborn159's up-pipe when replacing his turbos gaskets with no problems through the top, it just required some twisting and finagling of the up-pipe.

18. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

yeah, but remember what happened to his gaskets at the varsity a month or two ago. :eek:hnoes:

19. Cory

Cory Member

Ha, yea he told me about but I wasn't there. Thats one of the reasons I had to replace them is because they were the stock gaskets and he had removed the turbo one or twice without replacing them.

20. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

I did mine through the top...was in the middle of a turbo swap though,haha.

21. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

i doing my UP and DP saturday. Hope its a bit easier than this!

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

it will never be any "easier" its ALWAYS a PITA. Ped can speak volumes on this. but i've done it at least 5 or more times and it has sucked EVERYTIME

23. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

I would say mine sucked, but you can minimize the suckiness by preparation and having good how to's on hand. I used the ones from Nasioc in the Unabomers (sp?) mainfesto. Also a good assortment of sockets, deep sockets, pivot sockets, ratcheting wrenches helps. It seemed there were several times you needed an odball tool. I think the 2 that stick out in my mind were the 14mm piovting socket and the 14 mm deep socket. There is a good list on the Scoobymods "best dam* uppipe / downpipe" link.

Also I would bag / label the bolts. I did this some but not enough. I had a few sessions of where the heck did this come from.