Racing on I-85 Leads to Wreck

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Raziel1, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Racing on I-85 Leads to Wreck Near Union City
    Last Edited: Tuesday, 19 Aug 2008, 6:30 PM EDT
    Created: Tuesday, 19 Aug 2008, 6:30 PM EDT
    Union City Crash

Reported by Devin Fehely
    Edited by Steve Dixon

ATLANTA (MyFOX Atlanta) -- Union City Police are searching for two drag racers who caused a chain reaction crash that sent a woman to the hospital.

Investigators said the drivers topped speeds of a 100 miles per hour.

Union City Police said the crash sent cars spinning and careening across the interstate.

The three-car pile-up happened just before six a.m. Tuesday morning and police said the two drivers showed no concern for the other cars on the road during the morning commute.

It was a chaotic scene as a chain reaction crash brought the Tuesday morning commute in Union City to a virtual standstill.

Police said the driver of a black Eclipse was racing another driver -- weaving in and out of traffic -- at speeds well over 100 miles per hour when he rear-ended an SUV.

"It's just reckless disregard for anyone's safety to be operating motor vehicles at that speed on an interstate anywhere in metro Atlanta," said Union City Police Officer George Louth.

The force of the impact caused the SUV to flip over. The driver was trapped upside down when she was struck by a second car. Police said the only thing that may have saved her life was that she was wearing her seatbelt at the time.

Paramedics rushed the driver of the SUV -- 61-year-old Linda Wiglesworth -- to Atlanta Medical Center to be treated for serious injuries.

Union City Police said the driver responsible for the crash ran off before emergency crews arrived.

"He fled the scene prior to our officer's arrival," said Louth.

Investigators are checking the car's registration, hoping it will help them zero in on the driver.

Police say the other racer -- who was possibly driving a white Dodge Neon -- sped off, never stopping to help -- perhaps only glancing in his rearview mirror at the damage he'd help create.

Union City Police said the 61-year-old is now in stable condition.

Police say the driver of the third car was treated at the scene but did not go to the hospital.

Investigators are asking anyone with information about the crash to contact the police.

Story content produced by FOX 5 Atlanta WAGA

Vid Here

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i hate people.

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

damn, people are so reckless. Didn't they learn last year when that kid in his RSX killed a whole family?

4. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Idiots

5. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

thats right near where i work. how did i not hear about this? its rediculous that people dont use common sense and have no concern others on public roads. there are plenty of places to race without the risk of losing your license or possibly killing people. personally i get more satisfaction winning a race in front of a crowd at the track.

/end rant

6. Street racing at 6:30 in the morning??? I'm barely conscious then..... who knew ricers woke up so early in the morning.....

That was this year, March 30th IIRC..... my buddy's still working on wrapping that case up, very involved.....

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I heard about that on the radio. All they knew was it was a black Mitsubishi and a white car of some kind.

Guess you can only hope people will learn from it and not repeat it.

8. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I concur...people in cars like that piss me off so bad. There's nothing that makes me more angry than when I'm cruising at 75mph down the interstate and some douche bag wants to race me....hey jackass, I'm already cruising over the speed limit, get the hell outta here :squint:

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

He turned himself in and guess what? Illegal immigrant. CRAP! She can't sue him, they can't put him in jail, they can't take his license... all they can do is send him home.

I saw a Dodge Ram slam into a median on 285 and the hispanic driver crawled out, ran across five lanes, and jumped the fence.

10. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

I was thinking the same thing.
    when you're able to, we'd like to know what went down. that whole thing was fucking weird.

11. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I believe the one from march the father just got home from the hospital correct? that's one strong wife/mom....thats all I can say.... be careful out there folks

12. schneid

schneid Member

well i guess that this illegal was going 100+ to make up for all the other illegals driving exactly the speed limit (no license, no insurance, no tag etc)

I am so proud to have a modified import today

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Well, NONE of them are making atl traffic better ,because IF any of them, god forbid, get in a car wreak they wont pay for damages. I don't know about you, but i don't like to pay deductible.

14. schneid

schneid Member

i was being sarcastic...if you think deductibles are bad read up on what non-paying immigrants are doing to our healthcare system. but thats a whole 'nother thread

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

yeap, sorry i get defensive about that stuff =(

16. 07Ltd#767

yeah...this is a thread-jack, too, but Fair Tax Act FTMFW!

It won't help w/ the deductibles and health care costs, but at least we'll be able to tax illegal immigrants to help pay for the free schooling they're receiving

17. I think there was another thread on when it happened..... the report is something like 170 pages right now, I'll see if I can't read over it and paraphrase it..... it really was a messed up situation.....

18. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I commute primarily on 400 between Windward and Sandy Springs throughout the day and evening and see reckless idiots who are and are not racing primarily during rush hour between 6-10am, 4-8 pm. Maybe it is just me but at least on 400 during rush hour I barely ever see cops. I drive allot! They are everywhere and I mean everywhere on local side streets and they're out in force on 400 from around 8pm on and heavy all weekend. Not to say they are at fault for reckless morons and I don't want to even get started on the illegal thing that is a dissertation because it is so wrong. I don’t know how the fuck local legislators would allow individuals who are here illegally to legally register a vehicle or get a license. They should be deported!
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/05/24/cartags.html WTF!

I am curious about what seems to be a lack of police presence atleast on 400 during rush hour. I stay in the right lane in rush hour abiding the speed limit not only in respect of the law but for self preservation and the preservation of my Suby staying out of the way of some of the worst drivers I have seen in this nation. They’re not all illegal aliens, many of them drive luxury cars and high end SUV’s command the road as if they own it and everyone else is just a guest. Typically doing 15-20 over on the cell phones with no regard for turn signals and or merging with barely a car length to spare. If you are in anything but the right lane you are doing at least 10 over just to keep from getting forced off the road. Now if cops wanted to bring in some revenue the opportunities at these peak times could probably fund the whole goddamn state of Georgia, where are they?

This is a strange ass place, that’s all I can say.

19. 07Ltd#767

^^^

Feel better? ;)

We all feel your pain, though...400 turns into an Autobahn for soccer moms in minivans and GIANT SUVs who will run over anything in their way...usually while talking on their cell phones and not paying attention.

20. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

21. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Racing in Atlanta, get out... I thought 100 was the normal speed in metro Atlanta. Or at least it seems that way whenever I have gone down there. Its sad, but this doesn't surprise me and it will most likely never end. Until the next time...

22. Eco Auto Clean

did anyone see the channel 2 news report on this? ups truck driver pulled over and blocked traffic because the lady flipped into on coming traffic.....very unselfish..i started tearing up....

23. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

That's cool as hell! God bless him or her>

24. Eco Auto Clean

yea very cool...very sad is the husband witnessed the whole acciedent in his review because his wife was following him to airport. and yea again UPS driver you did an amazing greatful thing....