blow off valves

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sleeper31204, Aug 17, 2007.

1. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

im looking to upgrade my intercooler and maybe my fuel pump and injectors. i have heard good and bad things about the blow off valves, some would say that one can make the car run bad. and some would say that it helps the car, is there a line to stay in here?

picking the intercooler up on ebay, 4" thick. new in box w/ warranty, also getting a new "y" pipe. i doult that just the intercooler will help the car run better, but will it? or will the tmic + fuel pump and injectors do it for me.

p.s. wanting to get a protune in a couple of weeks, does anyone know where S.S. is, i got battleground but i think the spelling is wrong, any help on finding him? also looking for sound with the bov, will it be loader?

-William...

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

Scott is at battle ground...
    I'm not the expert but I don't think you get any performance advantage from a bov unless you real high in HP. As far as sound...yes it's louder.

Good Luck Bro!

3. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

BATLGROUND ;)

if you *must* have a aftermarket BOV, please get a recirculating valve (perrin makes one)

atmospheric valves take the pressure built up and releases it out between shifts (or when the throttle is lifted) then the pressure needs to build from square one when you get back on the throttle.

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

They have deer whistles for cars also if you are looking for making your car loud.

Just kidding, stay way from bov's stick with cdv. Your stock cdv is good to high psi's, more than the stock turbo can handle. No need to waste money on something shiny under the hood.

5. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

a BOV will hurt performance. It vents your pressurized air between shifts and your turbo has to start from scratch every shift. you'll get turbo lag every time you shift. Not to mention you'll run rich (too much fuel) and run your engine temp up.

They sound fun though...

6. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Try clicking on the words at the top of the page that say Siegel Racing SRDEC or Batlground Engineering and you will be able to reach SS.

7. WolfSong

WolfSong Member

Your stock BPV actually circulates the air back into the intake, so a BOV does not increase lag at all. Once the stock BPV opens the pressurized air is released to prevent the compressed air from hitting the turbine blades and stopping or "backspinning" the turbo. The trigger is the closing of the throttle plate so the compressed air doesn't stay compressed once it hits the intake... it expands almost instantaneously and leaks out the intake. The advantage being that it is air in the intake that has not been metered by the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS), however once the valve opens it can hardly be considered "pressurized" any more.

The ECU however has metered fuel for that air. So if you are replacing that air with air drawn through the air flow meter, that's where the problem lies. The Rich condition occurs because the air that has already been metered is now gone, so the engine draws even more air past the MAF... that's now confused because the air it measured for is gone, resulting in a momentarily rich condition until it gets things sorted out, which usually throws it a little lean because it detects from the O2 sensor that there's an ultra rich condition and goes lean for a second to compensate.

There are several recirculating BOV's and BPV's on the market, but unless you're running past 18PSI the stocker is good enough and doesn't leak. There's a mod out there to crush the stocker so that it holds more boost as well.

There are some options tho if you still want the sound... but don't want the rich/lean condition that they cause. Consider a hybrid BOV that allows for part of the air to be recirculated and the rest of it to be dumped to the atmosphere. Most are 50/50 and usually open the recirc side first to prevent the rich/lean issue. Some Hybrids like my GFB Stealth FX actually allow you to adjust the percentage of air going to each... mine's currently on 70% recirc and it still makes nice noises, and no stumble or issues of any kind.

The air that would've leaked out the intake has just been used to make a cool noise...

It boils down to personal preference...

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That 30% is still hurting ya to some degree....you aren't tuned for it.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Look, if you're just looking for the 'noise' the buy one of those fake BOV sound things off ebay. Honestly, they'll have ZERO impact on your performance, go 'PSSSHHHT' so you can fly around all F&F like and impress the ladiez, and hell they're probably CHEAPER than the real thing too!

10. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

:rofl::rofl: but true.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Haha that's hilarious. Seriously ask any tuner and they will tell you no unless you are tuned for them. I've asked Scott, Doug, Phil, and many others and they all say the same thing. The only reason I'm running the APS 50/50 is because I'm boosting more than my stocker would hold. Yeah I used to run the TXS RFL but then I learned my lesson when the car bogged between shifts.

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

With no mods, my stocker held fine past 22 psi.

13. OblivionWRX

OblivionWRX New Member

I have a Greddy RS bov with a screw on top that can be adjusted for a "firmer" or "softer" setting. Is it ok to play around with these settings or could it cause some damage?

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the BOV can cause damage regardless.

15. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

so i have a bov that can be ran both atmospheric and recirculating... if im getting tuned then it doesn't really matter which i do.. that is bassically what everything that has been said in this thread comes to in my opinion... i am going to probably end up doing recirc, but i would rather vent off in the atmosphere just cause i want everything to be loud, lol, if im tuned does it matter?

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes it does, you cant tune for a BOV. PERIOD.

Because it makes you run rich AFTER a shift.

nothing can be done about that.

17. undrgrndrdr15

i was jsut pointing out how the thread made it look... lots of good info for people in here though who dont understand how bov's and recirc. work!

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeap , recirc = good.

Atmho = BAD.

i dont get why you would change from stock unless you had to IE ( more than 22 psi)

19. undrgrndrdr15

you hit it on the nose right there!

20. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

ladies love the pssshhh. No denying that.
    And I get this statement almost everyday " Dude, you should get a Blow Off valve! It will make you car faster!" Ive gotten to the point where I don't even reply anymore. I just turn around and walk away.

21. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

External Wastegate FTW :) you cannot beat that sound

22. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Like a thousand demons screaming..