Clutch Pedal prob & Tranny Leak

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by flip, Sep 16, 2008.

1. flip

flip Member

Ok, after my last clutch install, I've got a couple of small problems. I don't work on this car every day so I don't know it as well as I know some of the others. Its not like my 240 where a slave cyl is 16$ so I can just throw a part at it and hope for the best so I'd like some second opinions here...

Let me start by saying I've had a large amount of experience with clutch/tranny jobs... I'm not a newb ;).

First problem:

The clutch pedal after quick shifting goes nearly to the floor. I'm still able to shift but the pedal goes away for the most part. It will come back if I either leave it or pump it. There are no visible leaks on the master or slave cyl. I checked under the rubber boot on the slave cyl as well and see no leaks.

I'm leaning toward slave cyl but am not 100% sure. Any idea if i can find these somewhere other than the dealer and what the cost might be?

Second problem:

I'm seeing drops on the ground of tranny fluid which look like theyre coming from inside the bell housing. Shortly after i noticed that, the brand new clutch disc began to slip so this pretty much confirms the leak from inside the bell housing.

I didn't do anything that I'm aware of to put abnormal stress on the input shaft so is it common for the input shaft seal to go bad after a tranny job?

Any idea on cost of this part?

Thanks in advance!

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

philip is a newb!!

sorry man, that's all I got. :p

3. flip

flip Member

Anyone? Somebody on here gotta know something...

4. I take it that its out of warranty? It could be clutch slave cylinder, sticking pressure plate, binding release fork or ???The disc slipping could be from fluid contamination or maybe the previous items.Though I doubt the slave cylinder would get stuck under pressure.Usu. they give out and you cannot disengage your clutch.You can have an internal failure of the slave without visible leaks.Can you get it to act up with the car stationary? If so I would get it to misbehave and then look to see what is going on. I think you can get to the release fork to see what is binding.?

5. flip

flip Member

No waranty...

I am thinking slave. I have played with the fork and it doesn't look like its binding but I can't really get it to do it when it's parked. Thats why I'm leaning towards slave cyl.

As for the leak inside the bell housing, what could cause that? Only thing that I know of that could be leaking in there is input shaft seal. What would make that go bad?!? Yeah we wiggled the tranny to get it back on but would that kill the seal?

6. flip

flip Member

C'mon... Nobody has experience with this?

7. Pretty much its either the rear main or input shaft seal.(the leak).I have yet to hear of one leaking from a tranny install, but there is always a first time...Did you replace all the parts or just the clutch disc?.(p.p. bearing,bushing,disc).stock or aftermarket.I had said something about this on another post...I heard the other day on car talk about a guy who called in about his subee clutch.The guys said that there were a lot of problems with bad pressure plates lately for Subaru. Not sure if its related.Usu. when I have a problem I look back at the last thing I did.Its very unlikely,thought not impossible,that the slave would go out right after you replace the clutch.I would question the quality of the parts.just my 2 cents..

8. flip

flip Member

Yeah i think its input shaft since its deff. tranny fluid leaking. I hate that smell...

I replaced everything and resurfaced the flywheel. The clutch and pressure plate are competition clutch.

I made the mistake of testing travel of the slave cyl without having the tranny all the way on the motor. It was about 1/2 inch off. So I believe that was what brought an end to the slave cyl.

Any idea on cost of slave cyl from dealer? Can i find decent quality slaves aftermarket?

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Slave cylinder, impreza, 2.5l, w/turbo 04-05 Retail $100.43 Our Price $72.31

This was from www.fredbeansparts.com

10. flip

flip Member

Awesome! Thanks! For some reason I couldn't find anything googling... and I'm pretty good at google lol.

11. aha, now the truth comes out.just kidding.I think you might be right.If you depressed your clutch pedal when the trans was not all the way in, you may have killed the slave.Usu, they come out to the end of there travel when there is no pressure against them(i.e. no fork).

12. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

master cylinder leak would be inside the car. calmnothing had some odd clutch issue once due to the release bearing fork bending

13. flip

flip Member

:) Yeah I kinda cringed when I noticed he tranny wasn't quite on all the way when we hit the pedal but what can ya do... I checked it out and the plunger hadn't poped out so I thought I had squeaked by lol. Guess not.

I just ordered a slave cyl rebuild kit so I'll do that and see what happens...

14. flip

flip Member

Yeah, no leaking in the car so I think master is good. No reason it would have gone out and it would have been too much of a coincidence for that to happen...

The fork bending problem sounds interesting. I know a this past time the fork got caught up a bit so it is a slight possibility, however I inspected it and can't see any obvious damage. Also, the pin was out so I think the old throwout bearing would have taken most of the force... Its $35 from that site so I may just order one, replace it and sell mine if it turns out that wasn't the problem.

Was the bend obvious?

15. flip

flip Member

Ok so I fixed the input shaft seal and that took care of the leak but the pedal is still feeling kinda funny.

I'm down to two things.

Needs to be bled better or again, or the clutch fork pin needs to be greased...

I'll try those and report back. Anyone seen something similar?

16. flip

flip Member

Fixed the problem. The slave was fine. I was simply missing the spring on the top of the fork. I guess whoever was helping me last took it off without me seeing it so I didnt' realize there was one there. Then it got lost lol.

I fixed the leak by replacing the output shaft seal on the tranny...

Thanks!