Brake Set Up

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jeb, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jeb

jeb Member

So I bought CeeLowes car this past Saturday and I'm loving it. I'll be starting a journal on it soon for more info on the car. With the amount of go it has though (350 WHP) I feel it needs some more stop. Track days are in the future as well so I need something that has some staying power. I've been looking around NASIOC and found several set ups that caught my eye. First there's this Wilwood set. http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp19/gtg218h/ Its off a WRX and would be a straight bolt up. I was thinking of offering the guy ~$800. It looks a little rough though.
    Second there another Wilwood set up that I really like but its not wrx specific.
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=py7KZg1QphPS0m8TBhrdLKw http://picasaweb.google.com/aajayven/NewPics252008
    Anyone have any idea what it would take to get those to fit. I know they would need some sort of custom brackets at least and most likely custom backing plates. Any input on how much that runs and who in the area does this kind of work would help a lot as well.
    I could always just get a Sti brembo kit as well. How well do they hold up for moderate track events?

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

just to sidetrack your questions a bit, what don't you like about the current brake setup? pedal feel? initial pad bite? fading after a 20-0mph stop in a school zone? knockback?

I can guarantee you that the system on there now will lock the tires up. however, if track days are in your future I would recommend a suitable pad and fluid with a higher boiling point

3. techlord

techlord Active Member

you will fade just about anything at a track. Ball faded the brembo's after 1 lap at road atl it think it was.
    at TGP with stockers upgraded pads and fluid both times faded horribly after 10 laps
    1st trip with Hawk HP+/ferodo toased my rotors
    2nd trip with Carbotech XP10/XP8, ATE. new rotors and toasted those after 12 laps.
    In short the stocker suck on the track imo.

I have yet to be with my 4 pot setup but am stoked to go and try them out.
    I doubt the wilwoods would fade much with correct fluid/pads, and other high priced setups but the cost a fortune.

I WOULD spend 5-800 on a spare 5mt otherwise I would not run anywhere near the redline in that beast on the track. my 2cents

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Spend the money to get Stoptechs...even if you get used ones. At minimum Stoptechs in the front and brembos in the rear.

I can walk you through what pad compounds you need if you tell me more about what tires\tranny\diffs you are running.

Matt

5. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Fixed it for ya' :D

Siegel

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Do not get the Wilwood's. They flat out SUCK. My stock WRX rear brakes with OEM STi Brembo fronts and HP+ front pads work better than the Wilwoods.

Doug even told me that my brakes felt better than what he has on Lucy when he drove my car.

7. slowwrx

The 6 piston Wilwoods with the right pads are fine, the street pads that come in them suck.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Correct. Although even with the right pads the Brembos still provide more clamping force. I'm also not a fan of the massive cutting you have to do on the rear brakes to fit the Wilwoods.

9. slowwrx

With the right pads the wilwoods have more clamping force, more pistons more piston area....more clamping force. But you do have to cut stuff for them to fit. You have to cut stuff for the Stoptechs to fit as well.

If you are going to do a lot of track days the stock Brembos are not enough.

Matt

10. jeb

jeb Member

This thing won't be going anywhere near the track until I have some sort of tranny sitting around or the $$$ in my bank account to quickly replace it. I'm happy with the stock brakes for the street but I know I won't want to change pads whenever I get out to track days in the future. There's also the fact that track pads will eat the stock rotors. As I don't really need them yet I'm just going to throw a low offer at the first set of Wilwoods. I've got a pair of stainless lines sitting in my trunk right now as well. The drivetrain is completely stock for now minus the clutch(Exedy Stage 3 with an organic disc) but I plan on either swapping to the 6MT or some sort of straight cut syncro/possibly dog box in the not too distant future.

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

jason has the wilwoods on the front and he just changed them after a good couple years i think. new rotors and pads. it was time consuming but fairly straight-forward. an idiot could probly put them on. and his car stops pretty hard.

12. 2thAche

2thAche Member

STi Brembos w/ stock pads I never had a problem stock, but I ran Barber in the heat, 1st time after suspension/power mods and 3rd session they went soft into a turn. 2 corners later pedal was to the floor and I had to pump 3-5 times to have any brakes as I pitted. Ghetto flushed with high-temp fluid (motul) and they were fine next session for almost 30 mins, but when I pulled into the pits the pedal went a little soft. I have to admit my fluid was old.

SS recommended full flush with Motul RBF600 and Carbotech XP10 front/ XP8 rear which is what I'm doing next week.

Going to Little Tally on 10/17 to test out. I'm going to get aggressive with them and see how it goes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  13. jeb

jeb Member

^^^Thanks, let me know how that goes. From what I've read, for the money(~1100$), the STi Brembos with the right pads and fluid look like my best bet.

14. dmp

dmp New Member

Pads Pads Pads.

I have Hawk HPs on my Legacy and think they stink. That may be harsh but they feel barely better than OEM. Axis Ulltimates are, based on my experience, the best street - occasional track pads out there (for the money, anyway). Truth in lending, I haven't had them on a heavy car (Currently use them on a 3000lbs RX8, and previosly on 2100lbs Miata).

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Have you upgraded your lines to SS? Have you got some decent fluid (ATE Super Blue, Motul, etc)? If not then that will be the reason why your pads don't feel that much better. I bet they do resist fade better though.

16. '05limited

'05limited Member

17. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

^^^
    Yeah, we talked about those the other day, but the rotors are already at 50% due to track use. How much would it be to replace those rotors, because that will most likely happen in the next year or so

18. '05limited

'05limited Member

Here are the part numbers for the replacement friction rings:
    328x28mm INCLUDES MOUNTING HARDWARE, BUT NOT MOUNTING BELL (HAT)
    Part Number Options
    31.326.1001.99 PLAIN/LEFT
    31.326.1002.99 PLAIN/RIGHT
    31.326.1101.99 SLOTTED/LEFT
    31.326.1102.99 SLOTTED/RIGHT
    31.326.1107.99 SLOTTED/LEFT/ZINC COATED
    31.326.1108.99 SLOTTED/RIGHT/ZINC COATED
    31.326.1201.99 DRILLED/LEFT
    31.326.1202.99 DRILLED/RIGHT
    31.326.1207.99 DRILLED/LEFT/ZINC COATED
    31.326.1208.99 DRILLED/RIGHT/ZINC COATED

And here's where to find them: http://www.propartsusa.com/index.php?cPath=1821_2521_2525&osCsid=f5c828af05a2515f5c15fb80dd996e7d