Orton Performance Meet&Greet, AWD Dyno Day (Payment update)

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by UpSideDownDesi, Sep 16, 2008.

1. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

We're talking about barely over 2 gallons of gas difference here...

Knowing what your car makes on probably the least commonly used dyno in the country isn't really going to tell you much...

Siegel

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

sounds typical...bunch of cheapskates!

3. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

yes sir yo are correct. Also, Land and Sea Dyno can be calibrated to put out whp very close to that of a Dynojet, but untouched and with 15% (or is it 20% for AWD?) drivetrain loss entered it reads 15% lower than dynojet, but the output it gives out is the real world whp one is putting down. It can be set of different driving condtions, and a standing 1/4mile run can be performed on it. I am gonna get classed on it when i get there monday so hopefully i'll be able to give more info. There will be some exotics out there to play on dyno too.

http://www.land-and-sea.com/chassis-dyno/chassis-dyno.htm

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  4. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

[​IMG]

5. 2thAche

2thAche Member

:werd:

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

capitalism's a bitch, ain't it?

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

1) Support your local Subaru shops :)
    2) $15 is cheaper than most meals on a Friday night.
    3) Shop (TS) that's reputable AND that we have had events at in the past so you know they will not break something
    4) Dyno that will allow for moderately accurate comparison to others

or...

1) Orton.

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Land and See has been known to read a bit higher, atleast from the 3 in the country that I have seen all read about 5% higher than the dynojet.

Honestly if some shop wants to do it for $25 bucks then go for it, our techs get paid $15 dollars for each car they put on the dyno. During dyno days due to the number of cars we usually do we always have two techs straping cars on and off the dyno. As far as I know nobody has dyno'd 40+ cars in one day like we did, without having one single issue. So our normal price of $40 bucks barely covers paying our techs and all the free food, drinks, and prizes we always give away.

10. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

LAME...

I won't be there for 15 bucks you can rest assured I will use one of the site sponsors

11. slowwrx

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

...and it begins. time to make some popcorn!

13. UpSideDownDesi

this is not a shop dis thread so no point going there or point out this and that. Simply a dyno day getting held at a new shop, sorry it's not a Site sponsor. I have been talking to the owner and he probably wouldn't mind being one either.

Honestly the dyno day would have been held at TopSeed, but it was lack of communication that got Orton the dyno day. BlackonBlack2 (on Evoatlanta.com) left Trey @ Topspeed PM's, phone calls, and email on 14th, and all he got back was "Scott will get back to you or i will get back to you". No one did, so we started looking for other shops and Orton was very good at coming through. I got a call literally 5 minutes after i left them a message, 15 mins on phone and all the details were taken care off. Then the price was great too. They in no way are trying to compete with any site sponsors, very laid back guys like guys at TopSeed.

Yes, TopSeed is one of the very reputable shop and one mostly everyone likes. It doesn't sound very mature to make a new shop look a bad without knowing much about it. Lets not turn this thread into the direction it's headed. I won't be discussing about this anymore. Everyone is welcome to come and hang out :).

14. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I replied to this thread 6 minutes after you posted it... With my cell phone number in my signature. I got the note from Tray about the dyno day, but I figured we were discussing it on here...

Please note that nobody from TopSpeed has said ANYTHING to "make a new shop look bad" we just said that that dyno is not common, and that we can't lower our prices to that level.

Siegel

15. UpSideDownDesi

BlackonBlack2 (Chintan) was waiting on a phone call or email reply from TopSpeed since 14th, and your post didn't include any of the requested info till you posted the rate (on 17th).

No i am not talking about TopSpeed saying anything bad, no one from there has.

Just few things i read as i ran over the thread. No shop is a loss-leader when it comes to getting their name out. I am sure a shop that knows how to handle a 850whp 996 TT shop car and other high end car on daily basis can handle Imports with care too and without breaking them. It is very mature to go in specially look for something to hold a shop down on, without looking at what they have accomplished. Orton Performance was the frist one (or one of the first) to successfully make their own SuperCharger kit for Cayman S (http://www.ortonperformance.com/performance/porsche/projects/cayman-r500/index.html). The shop is not doing this for the money, hence $25 charge.

Guys locations has been set so lets move on positively :). Check orignal post for updates.

16. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

As stated previously, I always enjoy visiting with SS and having a good time at meets. I would enjoy topspeed and I will enjoy this new shop. It is always cool to get to see exotic vehicles. I always enjoy meeting new shops and seeing what they represent. I have referred many people over to Topspeed when asked. Doing a dyno day or a meet for that matter at one shop or another makes no difference to me. I am always glad to get to meet some new people that are into making cars go fast :)

Topspeed, you guys already stated that everyone already knows you and you would gain nothing from the meet other than the fee for the dyno. You also stated that it does almost nothing for an increase in sales. So you are really not losing anything by this being held somewhere else. Same, I feel, goes for Battleground. You guys are both known for tuning Subarus. These guys are not. I am not even sure they tune Subies. I don't feel they are the threat you are making them out to seem like.

Would you be complaining and bitching the same if a meet was held at a local Sonic where everyone went to eat and spend money instead of your shop? Both are money going somewhere other than your shop. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, just trying to end the bickering. Personally I am excited to meet some new people that are into tuning cars and racing. Always fun to meet new people :)

17. slowwrx

yeah it begins

Its just a casual observation about the first picture I clicked on...on their website. Don't worry I'm sure that single bolt holding in that rollcage will do just fine.

18. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Sometimes the cage is just for looks.

19. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Sunny, pull me off the list. My car is possibly sold:sx:

20. crashtke

Lots of stuff is just for looks or image. Most carbon fiber parts...just about as heavy. The obnoxious HIDZ that people buy and don't bother aiming. The mega wings on cars that rarely see over 65 mph. Just like the loud ass BOV on the SRT-4 that was trying to mess with me on the way home. And his exhaust sounded like it was straight pipes, lol. The stickers all over cars. The fake scoops on some cars (even from the factory like some of the old mustangs).

Tell me that you have never done some form of modification just for looks. I think everyone on here has at some point or another.

21. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

The way I see it is that this is in no means an official WRXatlanta dyno day since those are organized by the mods and admins, more often than not with months of lead time. When we organize a dyno day we support the site sponsors the pay for our bandwidth. Various reps from each shop get on here all the time to give constructive advice based on their real-world knowledge of Subarus, can the same be said of any other shop in town?

I really have no gripe with members planning their own dyno day independently so best of luck to you, but next time you talk to Orton, see if they'd like to come on here and be a sponsor. It's cheap for them and great publicity.

Now quit with the bickering or I'm going to have to start cleaning this thread up or even lock it.

22. UpSideDownDesi

Bobby, the owner already came and looked at the site and thread...gave me a call not so happy, but laughed it off. Thread did a nice intro for him, but i am sure once he gets to know the relaxed people of this site, he'll be interested.

Moving on...i hope to see everyone at the Dyno Day, come hang out even u aren't dynoing.

23. UpSideDownDesi

you are still welcome to come hang out

24. UpSideDownDesi

payment update

25. crashtke

Payment sent.

26. pankopp

pankopp Member

can we request a time slot>?

27. techlord

techlord Active Member

I personally don't care where a dyno day is held, I enjoy the company of other car enthusiasts suby or not.

I did notice that this thread started off as a TS dyno day and see that a TS employee opined on the matter not just 6min after the OP but the next 2 days. I still have yet to see any shop bashing.

28. UpSideDownDesi

yes, send the time slot info in with you paypal info

29. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

Should we make a list of what people are bringing food wise? It seemed to work well when we just did the mountain run.

I will volunteer to bring in hotdogs.

Alain

30. jeb

jeb Member

Paid

31. pankopp

pankopp Member

paid...

32. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I probably will. We can dyno the E320!!!!

If I still have my car I want to try and get it on the dyno if time permits. I will pay on the spot.

33. UpSideDownDesi

Yea that's a good idea, i'll make a list. Quantity?

34. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

I'll bring 3-4 packs of 8.

Alain

35. UpSideDownDesi

Prime spots are getting taken up quick...don't wait till last moment.

36. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Can rwd cars dyno too?

37. UpSideDownDesi

i don't think we are gonna have any room left. If we have some time left, yea def we'll put it on dyno.

38. totsubo

totsubo Member

I will come by to watch.

I bring my own food and drinks... maybe some extra.

BTW, I would like to go to any Dyno Day, to any shop as long as its within reach and on a Sunday. TopSpeed, BG and so on.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  39. UpSideDownDesi

sounds good man, def come by......we'll see you there :).

40. UpSideDownDesi

14 more spots left

41. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Wow, turning down RWD guys and you have 14 spots left???

42. UpSideDownDesi

People who said they are in for sure, if they don't pay up by the first week off oct then we'll open up the spots to rwd/fwd guys too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  43. robb86

robb86 New Member

Can someone change my name...
    13. robb86- Cecil (Evo X)-Paid-2:00-2:20

Lol, don't listen for my real name... been going by robb pretty much my whole life.
    wouldn't want ya'll to call my name out and then I don't respond :D

44. UpSideDownDesi

haha k done.

45. totsubo

totsubo Member

I should be there in the Renault GTR.

46. OZrally

OZrally Member

Hey UpSideDown,

Can I get the 3pm slot? Let me know what food I need to bring. Does the $26.50 cover the Dyno cost?

Thanks!
    Kelsey

47. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

The $26.50 covers the cost of the dyno and food. We pretty much just listed what we wanted to bring food wise.

Alain

48. crashtke

Need Beer?

49. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

not any of that crap you make. :keke:

50. UpSideDownDesi

i'd say if you do bring it....keep it within the folks you know.