Important Autocross Information: Classing, Rules and General Scheduling of Events

Discussion in 'Auto-X Solo I/II, Drag, Track, Rally' started by miloman, Sep 25, 2006.

1. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Thanks to BrianGT for generating a detailed, yet easy to understand writeup:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classing information (allowed mods in various class structures):
    • Stock Classes (S): catback exhaust, race tires on stock sized wheels (+/- 1/4" offset), shocks with stock springs, stock intake with k&n (or other aftermarket filter), aftermarket front swaybar (stock rear)
    • Street Prepared (SP): everything from Stock + aftermarket intake, springs/coilovers, boost controller, BOV, TBE, headers, intake manifold, aftermarket IC (can't replace bumper for front mount IC with JDM), no catalytic converter required, any size wheels/tires, must use brake calipers
    • Street Modified (SM): everything from the above classes + engine/turbo swap
    • Street Touring eXtreme (STX): Treadwear 160 or greater tires, most mods from SP are legal, except for you must have a catalytic converter, and no boost mods (no BOV), aftermarket bodykits allowed [must have 2.0liter motor or lower displacement]
    • Street Touring Ultra (STU): Treadwear 160 or greater tires, most mods from SP are legal, except for you must have a catalytic converter, and no boost mods (no BOV), aftermarket bodykits allowed
    Here are the classes for various Subaru cars (based on the mods listed above):
    • STi: AS, BSP, STU, SM
    • WRX: DS, ESP, STX (for 2L motor), STU (for 2.5L motor), SM
    • LGT: DS, ESP, STU, SM
    • 2.5RS: GS, DSP, STX
    • ForesterXT: DS, ESP, STU
    Official rule book (pdf):
    http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf
    The rules work by stating all allowed mods, anything not in the book is not legal.

Here is the general schedule for Atlanta events:
    8:00 - Gates Open, Morning Check-In Opens, Tech Opens.
    8:30 - Course Open for walking. Morning Check-In Closes.
    8:45 - Tech Closes
    9:00 - Course Closed.
    9:15 - Workers must be at their station.
    9:30 - First car off.

12:00 - Afternoon Check-In Opens. Tech Opens
    12:30 - Course Open for walking. Afternoon Check-In Closes
    12:45 - Tech Closes
    1:00 - Course Closed.
    1:15 - Workers must be at their station.
    1:30 - First afternoon car off.

You should show up by 8:30 for the morning, and by 12:30 for the afternoon session. My wife and I usually show up around 7:30 for the morning session, as we both change tires.

Here is a good beginner's guide to autoX:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951026
    If you don't have a helmet, there are loaner ones available to use. For numbers for your car, bring some blue painter's tape, as it will come off easily.

I highly recommend this to all of you guys who do track days, as the autocross event is a nice safe controlled environment for finding out the characteristics of your car at the limit. Learning the limits at 30mph is much safer than at 100mph at CMP.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

The run order is for the 10/8 event. They rotate the run groups each event, and you can find them on the soloatlanta schedule:
    http://www.soloatlanta.com/
    click on schedule.

--
    Brian

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

thanks for catching that Brian

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Awesome, thanks!

5. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

I see that in Stock (S), you have to use the stock rear sway bar. Street Prepared is where you can change the rear sway bar (if I read the rules right).

DD

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'm ready for another auto-x!

7. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

correct. Only the front bar can be changed for the stock class.

--
    Brian

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

UPDATE:

05+ Legacy GT moved to ESP starting 2007

9. .....damnit. I heard FSP was easy for the Legacy, but ESP seemed more "normal" for the Legacy.

I signed up for that learner class as FSP, you think they mind?

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

If you mean novice school, I really doubt anyone would mind because you are not competing. However, you could always correct your information or send them an email.

11. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

If I have Cobb AccessPort or StreetTuner, does that force me into SP (as opposed to Street Touring - ST)?

DD

12. Sti4LifR

Sti4LifR New Member

good question and what about meth injection fulltime in a map?

13. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Meth injection is not legal for Solo II, water injection is fine however. A Cobb acessport is fine for ST as long as you have an ST Map. ST maps cannot alter stock boost levels; if you have a map that alters the stock boost tables you'll be in SP.

14. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

I wanted to ask about "classing" my car as well. Does the 2.5 shortblock put me in Street Mod? I am running the stock turbo at a higher boost as well. This may help determine what suspension I get.

15. tybalt6691

tybalt6691 Member

who would be the best person to tag along with during the next event?

16. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Just come out and run in the novice program, and hang out with everyone, you will get plenty of ride alongs. Only you'll have to wait, I don't think the season starts until March or April. I would recommend it to any one, I have become a big fan of autocross, I placed first in BSP for the first time during points 10, I was really excited about that.

17. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Any engine swaps that are of the same manufacter (ie STI EJ257 Block into a WRX) goes into Street Mod. If you swap say a LS1 into a RX7 that would be X Prepared. I'd wait on the suspension, take your car out and learn how to autox first. Autox is 80% driver, 15% tires and 5% suspension; spend your money on seat time first rather than suspension.

18. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Most likely will be starting in Febuary or early march.

19. tybalt6691

tybalt6691 Member

anything I can do to learn prior to then?

20. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

It's not Autocross, but http://www.siegelracing.com/.

Any driver education clinic will be of benefit whether you are interested in AutoX or Track driving. SS has a good school to start with.

21. Meredith

Meredith Banned

There are events in ALSCCA and Dixie SCCA during october and november. www.alscca.org