Where to take welding classes?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 98SILVERSTANG, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

I'm pretty much done with dragrace season so am I trying to fill some of my extra time with some welding classes. Anyone know where I can take some classes? I have a welder etc and plenty of stuff to weld on teh race car but need to learn better technique lol. Up north there were like votech schools that did this but not sure here in Georgia. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Alain

2. WJM

WJM Banned

Home. lol

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_47.htm

http://weldingweb.com/

ok, not really at home.

I would highly recommend classes and such, but I dont know where to point you to in order to take them.

With a gas mig welder I can weld some nice shit. Same with stick.

About every other day I use my MIG on flux core which is basically a wire fed stick welder. With clean surfaces I can make it look pro. More often than not I get bad surfaces and cant get them clean so it ends up looking like shit but functioning as intended.

I never took any classes, just learned on my own and from watching others weld.

3. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Mig welding is not as precise as Tig welding. It also uses a LOT more filler wire due to the constant stream of wire being forced out. Tig welding is much harder to get good at, but it looks a lot better imo. I weld a Formula B race car for a professor at my school. I may be able to get pics.

Other than schools, I suggest watching others weld and learn to Tig weld. I learned just from a lot of practice.

4. totsubo

totsubo Member

Gwinnett Tech has classes. I was going to take a few classes there for welding. But ran out of free time.

5. WJM

WJM Banned

oh yeah, I *SUCK* at TIG.

6. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have a buddy who is a blacksmith and he has shop nights on Thursdays. I'm sure he would be a great resourse at a much lower cost. PM me and I'll get you in touch with him if you like!

7. +1 for gwinnett tech. Im going to some after Im done with my automotive classes

8. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

Awesome thanks guys for all the feedback. I've tried to mig weld and have installed like my window net on the mustang etc but doesn't look the greatest. I am more interested in Tig. I will look into gwinnett.

Face you have PM.

Thanks
    Alain

9. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Appalachian tech? from suwanee that'd be a haul, tho...

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

Gwinnett Tech gets a nod from me as well.

11. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

did all mine at gwinnett tech.....+1

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

gwinnett tech.....+me

learned stick , mig and tig. Tig is definately my favorite. Just takes patience and practice.