Ej20k ecu

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by OZrally, Sep 9, 2008.

1. OZrally

OZrally Member

Does anyone know where I can find a EJ20K ECU? I have one but I think it's a bad one. Could I use any other ECU with a K motor or can I get mine fixed?

Thanks,
    Kelsey

2. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

3. WJM

WJM Banned

ebay, JHOT.

4. OZrally

OZrally Member

XanRules -
    Yeah I pm'd that wal.in guy about his ECU but no response yet.

WJM -

Jhot were the first people I called but no luck yet. :(

5. OZrally

OZrally Member

What about bad gas? Could that make the car only fire on two cylinders?

6. WJM

WJM Banned

No.

if I'm talking to the same guy, the front cylinders are not getting fire.

As I've said, there is some electrical fault somewhere.

The ECU isnt going to be bad to the point of only firing 1/2 the coil.

7. OZrally

OZrally Member

No your talking to the owner of the car. So your saying that the problem is not the ECU and that it's a wiring problem?

Can you give me the link to the conversation your talking about

8. WJM

WJM Banned

Its not a link, its a series of PMs. 'engineman' states he has someone with a 99GT and the process of swapping a 95 JDM EJ20K setup in it.

9. OZrally

OZrally Member

Yep this is my car. Thank you WJM!

So you think it's in the wiring? I'm asking b/c I want to be 100% sure b4 I go out and buy an other ECU. Is there a way I can have the ECU checked?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  10. OZrally

OZrally Member

If any one else has any ideas what could be causing this please help out.

Thanks

11. WJM

WJM Banned

swap the ecu into another EJ20K car. Thats about the only way I know of.

If dude's got an oscilloscope you can test what the ECU outputs are. If no output from the 1-2 cylinder coil signal wire but signal from the 3-4 then you've got ECU issue. If output but not AT COIL CONNECTOR, wiring issue. If output to the connector, bad coil.

GET'ER DONE!

12. OZrally

OZrally Member

All right, Thanks man!

13. OZrally

OZrally Member

What about the crank sensor??? or the Crank gear? could this cause the problem?

14. WJM

WJM Banned

not usually. Worth a check tho. Pull the front covers off and see.

15. OZrally

OZrally Member

Not the crank sensor nor the cam sensor.

16. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

you checked the ignition coil?

17. OZrally

OZrally Member

yep. wires, plugs you name it :/

18. calmnothing

Maybe the actual coil went bad. You have some sort of piggyback system? Siegal said sometimes they can burn out the coil

19. OZrally

OZrally Member

I tried a new coil and no good. I talked to Gabe at Jhot and called his buddy Paul. We went through every possibility and it's got to be the ecu. SO I'll buy one and give it a try

20. OZrally

OZrally Member

I will not recommend the place I'm getting my work done if you don't have a lot of time on your hand

21. WJM

WJM Banned

............eh....yeah.

22. OZrally

OZrally Member

Well I got a new ECU it should be Monday. I really hope this was the only problem.

23. OZrally

OZrally Member

Just got a new ECU in... but wouldn't you believe that still did not help!!!!!! I know it was the wiring. This damn place is costing me a shit load of time and money and it's f***ing pissing me off!

24. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Are you in the atlanta area? - maybe take it to kingwrex at SOK?

25. OZrally

OZrally Member

SOK = subaru of Kennesaw???

Does he have experience with EJ20K's?

26. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Shoot him a PM - Kingwrex .

SOK - yes subaru of Kennesaw.

He is a mastertech that is on here.

27. OZrally

OZrally Member

I got my car back the other day. All I can say is that it runs... I had find the the correct pinouts for them as I just found out they have trying to use EK20g pinouts. What hell I went through just to get my car back (half assed). I am so glad to have my baby back and away from that shit hole place, what a joke for a engine shop! Now I have a lot of work to do just to get my car back in one piece.

28. deadred

deadred Member

Well I took a ride in this the other evening and it runs nice. It was running on my old downpipe and Im giving him one of the wrx intercoolers I have in the garage to help it look better and if Im not mistaken looks bigger than the v.4 intercooler. This shop did a horrible job at covering the wires as they are ziptied everywhere in the engine bay and literally have one piece of electrical tape spirale around the main bundle. We are going to clean all this up but this shop did a horrible job

29. calmnothing

What shop did the wiring?

30. WJM

WJM Banned

So was it the wiring (LIKE I FUCKING STATED) or the ECU?

31. deadred

deadred Member

:bowdown:It was the wiring like ya stated so now he has to sell the extra ecu that he bought just incase. I have no idea who did the job you might want to pm OZrally who did it. Im just glad he got the car back and away from the shop.

32. OZrally

OZrally Member

It was the FUCKING wiring!!! I also told them that ECU was fine and they insisted that it was the ECU and that they did the wiring to the "T". BULLSHIT after I bought the 2nd ECU and they said they were still having problems, I was so PISSED! I asked to see the pin out sheet they were using, the first thing I saw was at the top EK20G I looked at the guy and said no wonder. I told them it was a EJ20K to begin with, their excuse was that they could not find the correct pin out sheets. I went to work got on Google typed in EJ20K pin out, very first thing was NASIOC with the correct pin outs. FUCKING IDIOTS!!! Printed them out took them over to the shop handed the sheets to the mechanic, is exact words were "Wow this look more like it" three days later they called me and said it was running. I went over there and asked if the abs and A/C was working I was told that everything was working but I was lied to. POS of Shop I'm just glad that it's back in my hands now.

NEVER GO TO, Engine Man, Inc in Braselton!!!

A big thanks needs to go out to, WJM, deadred and everyone else that helped out!

33. OZrally

OZrally Member

delete

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  34. WJM

WJM Banned

thats why you need to take it to a shop that does it right and knows the cars.

ECS (East Cost Swappers) would have gotten it done same day if all the parts were provided.

35. OZrally

OZrally Member

Yeah well lesson learned. I gotta do it the hard way. Oh and b4 I took my car to them the were all big talk B16 this SR20 this EJ20 no problem.

36. WJM

WJM Banned

^that should have been the first sign of trouble.

37. OZrally

OZrally Member

Do the 2 guests viewing this thread want to chime in... ;)