2000 Impreza L + EZ30R = :-)

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Slack, May 6, 2005.

1. Slack

Slack I take peekture, CLEEK! Supporting Member

Greetings. This is Slack from Nasioc. I just signed up for this forum, so I thought I'd make a brief post about my project.

Tomorrow myself, Steve D, Mike McCoy (FI bmw guy), and my brother will start taking my car apart to get it ready for the new engine. I bought a Japanese-spec EZ30R from Gruppe-S to replace my dying EJ22. I know WRX swaps are more popular and probably cheaper, but I wanted to try something different. If anyone is interested in coming by to check it out and/or help, please email me for directions. The work will be taking place at Mike McCoy's shop near the Mall of GA sometime between 10:30am and 11:30am tomorrow.

Click here for more details about my project if you're interested..

Mick

2. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

hey slack it's craig, you helped me install my eibach pro kit springs last summer. Good luck on your project, and hope to hear more about it!
    Craig

3. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Man Id love to check it out/help, but heading out of town tommorow so wont have time, let me know if it spills into sunday, may come peek on way back in town.

Good Luck.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'd love to!

...Unfortunately, I have some prior engagements to take care of.

5. Slack

We're not going to get it done tomorrow. We are estimating that it will take about 1 week to complete it. I have to not only do all the wiring, but also make a custom exhaust. So, if anyone is interested in coming by the shop anytime from today (Saturday) through next weekend, then you're more than welcome.

Mick

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i will try to stop by and check it out sometime during the week

7. Slack

Just found out that none of the people I mentioned in the original post are going to be available to help me out today. So, um...if anyone has any sort of good will towards fellow suby owners, I would greatly appreciate some help at the shop. Please call me @ 770-309-1980 if you can help out.

Mick

8. married05gt

married05gt starting over

I can come by sunday, I live five min. from mall of ga

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

sorry dude... just checked the site... i wont be able to help out until after wednesday... i don't know much about this install, but with direction, i could offer my hands

10. Slack

Well, Saturday was a complete bust. It took a bit of work to get the alternator and PS pump on there, but it was mostly an act of futility. I managed to drop a nut down between the timing chain cover and the block while I was at it. Once I finally got them on, I realized that the PS pump wheel was damaged to the point where it wouldn't spin because it was scraping against the pump housing. grr:

Also, found out that the AC compressor doesn't fit, so I'll be going w/o it until I can afford a new one. I guess we'll get some stuff accomplished this coming weekend. I've still got to order my exhaust components, but I'm broke till Friday. :rolleyes: :hahano: Maybe now that I'm giving more advanced notice, some people will stop by and help out. :D

Mick

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i'll try to swing by this weekend... most probably, i should be available

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I am free tomorrow with nothing to do, maybe I will stop by.

13. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I might be able to tag along.........

14. Slack

I'm not going to be doing anything to the car tomorrow. I've got to wait till my PS pump is delivered. I ordered it today, so I should get it Wednesday. Once I get it, I have to get a shorter belt since I won't be mounting the AC. I will post up some more info as we get closer to the weekend, so if anyone is interested in coming by there will be the time and directions.

ScoobyBlkWRX & miloman: Any help would be greatly appreciated. You don't need a lot of experience, so as long as you know how to turn a wrench, I can most likely use the extra set of hands. :) Thanks for the support. Nobody from Nasioc offered to come over. :p

Mick

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

let us know what day/time you will be working on stuff... saturday is the dave n busters meet but i don't think i have any plans on sunday...

16. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

man that looks like an awesome project..let us know how it is coming along!

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

hey man.... i should be able to lend a hand after lunch... im gonna PM u my phone number...

18. Slack

Sorry folks, I forgot to post up that I wasn't going to be able to start this past weekend. I ran out of funds and had to wait till today to order more parts. I am trying to make sure I have everything I need before starting so that I minimize the downtime.

Friday afternoon/evening looks to be a go for now if I can get all the parts I need by then. I will post up something by Thursday to let everyone know what is going on. Thanks again for the interest in my project. :)

Mick

19. Slack

Delay...after delay......after...

Okay, I am getting closer and closer to having all the parts. I'm glad I didn't take the car apart already. :eek:

Mick

20. Slack

Ordered more parts today. I had to order the complete immobilizer system so that I can get the car started. What a headache!

Mick

21. Slack

Looks like we're on for this Friday. :)

Mick

22. revel

revel Member

hey mick. good luck with the swap. after talking to you at the SubyWharehouse meet i cant wait to see your GC afterwards. it already sounded sic as hell with the EJ22 and the custom exhaust work. so i know you will hook it up right and have one monster sLeeper.

23. Slack

1 Push fan and the power steering cooler:
    [​IMG]

Engine bay shot #1:
    [​IMG]

Power steering with custom remote reservoir mount:
    [​IMG]

Engine wiring, throttle body adapter, and 'short stack' intake:
    [​IMG]

24. Slack

Side shot of throttle body and adapter:
    [​IMG]

And the interior....not much has changed there:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the pics!

Mick

25. Slack

I thought I would bring this thread back to life since I have actually made some progress.

Short version: Car was taken apart by myself and a few associates. Some progress was made, but wiring was a bit too complex. Car was transported to TopSpeed. Nearly no progress was made. Car was transported to Subaru of Gwinnett. Little progress was made and then they asked me for a bunch of money up front to start working on it. Car was transported to East Coast Swappers in Springfield, MA. Progress has been made!

My car runs and idles smoothly on a non-tuned Hydra. Right now we are working on the throttle cable bracket and we found out that a Ver5 cable throttle will fit my application. Other than that, there are some random small things to work on and it will be done soon. It has taken forever, but I really won't care when I'm back in the driver's seat.

Mick

26. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Wow, well done sir. I was watching this project over several boards for quite some time. I'm glad you finally got it all working.

27. WJM

WJM Banned

Cool. Bring it to the meets when its done.

28. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

yay for Mick!!!!

good job finally tackling this project! It took quite some time, but you're in the homestretch!!

JUST in time for the Subaru Challenge!! :D :rofl:

seriously, bring it out to a meet or three, dude! I'm glad it's almost complete. It looks like you're driving it at least.

29. Slack

I'll be bringing it to a meet or three as soon as I get it back. This car project has dragged on for so long, I've got to remind people (myself included) that it still exists. Any sort of auto-x or rally-x will not be on the agenda until I have a newer FXT 5mt or STi 6mt installed. I don't think my stock L tranny will hold up to anything except normal driving.

Mick

30. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Awesome man. I've been watching this one for a while.

31. Slack

Major Update:

East Coast Swappers finished the car and....the work's all paid off!!! Transport from ECS to Element Tuning is scheduled for November 26th. I'm finally starting to get excited. :D

32. WJM

WJM Banned

about fucking time. ;)

33. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Wow....this has been a long time in progress.

Glad youre about to get it back!

34. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

awesome! I can't wait to see this thing run

35. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice, Mick! I'm happy to see she's almost completely done!!

36. Meredith

Meredith Banned

LOL Mccoy.....

37. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Congrats

3.5 years is a long time to wait. You are a very patient man.

38. Slack

So you know him as well....Sorry!

39. Slack

Thanks, folks. I don't know which I will be happier about: Getting my car back or getting rid of my bimmer. :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  40. techlord

techlord Active Member

Congrats
    good news bad news
    good news you got it back
    bad news I half way done pulling the million wires from my doner to put in my L and this has me worried it will take me just as long.

41. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

it shouldn't if you swap over all the wires. When's the next time you'll work on it? pm me

42. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

wow Slack, i had no idea you had this thead here. i've been following your work, along with the saga of the other guys trying to find a good EM for their EZ swaps, on NASIOC for quite a while as this is the only swap i'd consider if i was to swap at all -- its just really freaking cool.

great to hear the progress and if you need any help turning wrenches just PM me.

43. Slack

I've been away from wrxatlanta for quite a while. My car still isn't done yet, but it is on its way to the fifth shop.

Topspeed -> SOG -> East Coast Swappers -> Element Tuning -> D1 Motorsports (in Chicago).

There's way too much to say after all this, but it will be in good hands with Dylan (@ D1). He's offered to get it running using a prototype EM. Phil @ Element couldn't get it running with the Hydra, so I will be selling it shortly. If Dylan can't get it running, he will be helping me part it out. I'm not sure yet, but I might just do a WRX swap if it doesn't work out. I would really like to keep my L.

Mick