External wastegate options

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by keeganxt, Dec 1, 2008.

1. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I've searched on here and there's not too much info, but that might be cause only a handful of people on here are running an EWG. I've been all over NASIOC too and found some good info, but I like getting info from people I've met/know on here.

I'm wanting some info on different set-ups and options out there. Here is what I'm aware of:

Grimmspeed 38mm Setup
    Ultimate-Racing 38mm and 44mm Setups
    P&L Motorsport 44m (turboxs modified uppipe)
    Helix Up-pipe w/38mm TiAL

Also there is news of a Grimmspeed 44mm tial vband kit coming out in 2weeks. And a sometime this fall/winter a TiAL vband 38mm WG.

1. I'd love any info or personal experience on utilizing any of these kits.

2. Is this true...

Big Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate
    Big Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
    Small Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
    Small Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate

If so, what is considered small/big? td04, vf39, 16g evoIII, 18g, 20g...all small correct?

3. If I plan on running 18-20psi what spring would I put in the WG? 50% of my target boost, so .7 - .9 bar?

4. Can I use stock boost control still? Is it needed, or can I just get the appropriate spring?

please redirect me to a thread if I missed something. thanks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. Jake

Jake Active Member

you should probly put that you are planning on running the evo III 16g on an 06 wrx. Not sure, might make a difference

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have a complete UR 38MM EWG setup with Tial WG fro sale.

I also have a brand new UR 44mm EWG Setup for sale as well. It is the Up and dump tube.

I am probably going rotated so I wont need either one. The 38MM kit would not clear my catted Invidia DP so that is why it is not on my car.

PM if interested.

4. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

PM'D

Still would be nice to have some more knowledge about his stuff on here...since EWG seems to be a good mod for anyone and any turbo.

5. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i would like to see some of your questions answered!

6. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

we'll have to wait for liquidforce or coolrex to get on i guess

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Vband is better, the 38mms tend to leak.

As far as Spring Pressure you should get it as close to your target boost as you can.

About Sizing, 38 or 44 will be fine you usually go bigger as the turbo\engine\exhaust gas volume gets bigger. You don't really need anything bigger than a 38 but like I said they leak.

8. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

so then this new tial 38mm would be ideal?

[​IMG]

"MV-S Wastegate
    V-Band 38mm Wastegate

TiAL will be replacing the F38 wastegate with the new MV-S wastegate. Small was on our mind when we developed this new ultra compact wastegate. It stands only 3.7" in height vs the current F38 which is 4.85" Other features include 3 bottom pressure ports for easy install and a top mount pressure port that can be rotated 6 different ways. No more bolts or gaskets and all configurations are leaded fuel safe. we also altered the way the diaphragm sits so it is virtually impossible to pinch. A late fall release date is scheduled."

9. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

new 38mm is v-band? interesting

10. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yes the new Tial 38mm would be fine, keep in mind though if you ever grow a pair of balls and put a man size turbo on that car, most rotated kits are made to fit the 44mm.

11. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i like girl sized things...i'm really big into Polly Pocket

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

ha. See I thought I had heard there was a new tial 38mm vband. Do it!

13. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

problem is no one will have an uppipe that is made for this WG for a while. so i think the p&l kit still looks like the most compatible and durable.

14. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

k so any other input...

boost control...? do you have to change the inline pill? edumacate us....

15. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

you can always get someone to modifiy your existing uppipe assuming it is catless, however i have no clue how much is it nor if it is worth the money to go that route

P&L makes some quality stuff, welds look clean

16. integroid

Keegan, I PM'ed you about boost control. You will have to tune for it and probably use something like the Perrin BCS. Or you could get a stand alone like the Apexi AVC-r. Heck, you could just use a manual boost controller but slowwrx would probably kick me in the nutz for saying that.

17. undrgrndrdr15

so if you go ewg'd you need some kinda of boost control besides stock?

18. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Tial 44 ftw PERIOD. It's just the most consistent thing made. That V-band 38 looks nice, but I never recommend anything until I use a few and have good results.

To control one you need at LEAST a 3-port solenoid (Perrin, Prodrive, GM, etc).

Getting a spring near your target and using a good manual like a Hallman works very well if you are wanting to run the same boost at all rpm's and all gears...

Siegel

19. undrgrndrdr15

thank you scott!

20. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Is the purpose of the aftermarket 3port boost controller solenoid to handle the higher boost levels? What if you're planning on running the same boost level as before the external wastegate? Is the BCS just more consistent?

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

if you get an uppipe and need to reflange it for a newer design, I can weld it on for you (if its stainless)

22. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

23. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

if you are running the turbo xs 4" down pipe which ewg set up will work if any?

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think Grimmspeed's will. Check with them.

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Also you need the 3 port because you have two lines that you are hooking up to the wg instead of just 1.

I have the Tial 44mm on my own custom modded Maddad uppipe and a modded UR dump tube.

26. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

thanks man, ill check into it

27. integroid

You can vent the top port of the wastegate to atmosphere and run a line from the compressor housing to the bottom port fo the wastegate. This would make the wastegate open at the spring pressure. You can splice in your choice of boost controller in the line to raise your boost levels..

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

True but I don't recommend this. Do like SS said and let your ECU handle it.

29. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i'm not sure grimmspeed's will but i know that the p&l motorsports will for sure, thats the one i told you about the other night. the final jig they used for the kit is on a turboxs 4" donkey dick.

http://www.pandlmotorsports.com/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=232&osCsid=3facc0c249601bda2a241730bb2e519b

It's running $750 w/44mm TiAL from P&L and turninconcepts right now. I'd recommend turn-in especially if you have a coupon from them in the mail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  30. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

hose setups from cobb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Regarding aftermarket EBCS's...

The Prodrive EBCS is a simple plug and play, and from what Cobb says "NOTE: If you are tuning with an external wastegate, we have found that the Prodrive electronic boost control solenoid (EBCS) works perfectly with the stock compensatory wastegate calibrations (coolant, intake air temperature, etc.). This solenoid is a replacement for the stock EBCS and plugs in to the factory wiring harness. Tuning external wastegates with the factory boost control system (ECU) has worked very well as long as you use the Prodrive EBCS.

Also here's the DIY install from NAStyOC for the GM 3port Solenoid. It's a slightly less plug and play (you have to solder 3 whole wires...oh noes) but it's like $30-40 in parts compared to $119-125 for the Prodrive

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  32. undrgrndrdr15

good info...

33. nicali

nicali Member

I am currently running the P & L Uppipe with dump tube and TiAL 44mm EWG (with a 1bar spring) alongside a Cobb TB. Topspeed took care of the install and SS set up a beautiful tune a few weeks ago. The EWG is fantastic, when I am gentle on the throttle there is no notice that there is a EWG in play. Once I start getting halfway to the point wear the throttle going to WOT it comes alive (I am usually at about 4000 - 4300 RPM). It is an amazing experience to say the least. BTW I am using the Prodive BCS.

34. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

anyone have any experience or knowledge of the HOA (formerly prodrive USA) 3 port BCS?

35. Jake

Jake Active Member

Keegan, what'd you get at best buy today?haha.

Whenyou ordering your waste gate?

36. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

47" 1080p lcd, new surround sound, blu-ray player, and 3 years no interest.

[​IMG]

not sure on the wastegate, prob jan sometime. waiting on my paycheck for wrecked magazine still.

37. Jake

Jake Active Member

nice on the tv.

Steven I think Keegan and I posted on 4touge about it, but I think he found that the p&l ewg was the only kit that worked with the turbo xs 4" downpipe

38. integroid

I just read that Grimmspeed will release their 44MM Uppipe kit by the end of the year.

39. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

they keep saying that...they'll prob release it just in time for the new 38mm vband to come out.

so what different hose setups are people using on their EWG's?

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I built my own hoses out of fuel line. Works great.

41. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Seems like that or a bit of silicon tubing would work fairly well. I noticed that the stock rubber hoses were quite brittle when I took them off to put in the GM bcs after 90k of duty.

42. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah my stock ones were HARD. The bends had hardened so much that as soon as I put the slightest pressure to move them they broke!

43. integroid

44. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

hellz yeah...that will give a great option for people. It'll be $50-100 cheaper that the pandl kit too.

45. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

wow...I've been reading this entire thread trying to figure out exactly what the pros / cons for internal / external gates are and still couldn't really figure it out...until I watched that youtube video on that grimmspeed page.

If anybody else was confused like myself, watch that 8 minute video - it's very informative

46. undrgrndrdr15

im not really sure if this thread ended up giving pros and cons as more of the set ups that people have used and how they feel... i know if you want pro's and con's there are some threads out there....

47. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I know that, but I was hoping to pick some up along the way...hence the reason I learned more in that 8 minute video than I did in this thread. Just letting everybody else out there know if they're a little shaky on the theory behind wastegates, that 8 minute video answers a lot of questions

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Quick answer is EWG = better control of boost and more efficient management of boost. Because of this you can make more power and most of all HOLD that power more EFFICIENTLY.

49. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

From Unabomber on Nasioc:

"Using an external wastegate on an internally gated model will show benefits as it effectively reduces choking of the turbo. Choking is where the flow gets backed up due to the more restrictive internal wastegate. By replacing the internal with an external, this generally allows one to run more boost safely. While every turbo can benefit from an external unit, it really shines on larger turbos."

IMO, after doing alot of research this last week, an EWG is a great mod for any turbo...though a bit more expensive than some mods and probably the last on peoples list of to do's.

It can help to control boost, keep boost from tapering as much, can get you more power by reducing the turbulence from the wastegate flow mixing with the turbo exhaust side flow, allowing the tuner to get the full potential out of the car. Oh yeah and the sound...

here's another good thread from nasioc.