Single Din radio install question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Kokopelli, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I just got an HD stereo for my car but it is single din. What parts do I need and where can I get them locally?

I prefer a direct plug in adapter versus doing any wiring. I also would like a door for the other din but one without a door will work too. I really don't want to have to mod anything to make it fit.

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

If memory serves me correctly, the radio is attached to two plates, which makes installing aftermarket radios a snap. You can get a forrester single din pocket (with door) for around $30 at SOG. You could also order a whole kit from crutchfield, but you indicated you were looking for something local. As for the wiring harness, its hit and miss for subaru locally. I did find one at pepboys, but had to try like three or four different automotive parts stores to find the harness. Good luck!

3. keithwrx

keithwrx New Member

i have a wholesale car audio account, what year is your car? and i can help you install it. i have been dealing with car audio for about 10 years now.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have a Forester DIN pocket sitting around. You can have it if you want.

5. jeb

jeb Member

I put a single din in my old bugeye with a pocket, and as far as fitment I had no issues. I had ordered radio off of crutchfield so that I could get the free harness from them.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

My car is an 02 wrx. Installing the radio is not the hard part. The hard part is getting all the pieces without having to drive all over the city.

Time = Money;

Do you work at a shop that carries the parts I need?

What side of town do you live on?

7. longfury

longfury Active Member

I'll be in Marietta all day today. I work over near the Big Chicken. I'll be leaving for work soon.

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

BTW....I forgot it this morning. I left the house and realized I left it after I was half way to work.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Mike, Fry's carry the the radiop plug that plugs into the factory radio plug and has the pigtails on it to wire up your aftermarket radio. All you need is a Forester din pocket from longfury or SOG. I can install it for you once you get all the parts.

10. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Mike, you will have to drill extra holes for the forester pocket, but its the only way to get a silver almost-matching colored pocket.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Stereo is in. Got a harness from Best Buy.

I still need to get the pocket from Longfury.

When are you working again?

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

I'll be at work tomorrow. I should be there between 12pm and 7pm.

13. Trey

Trey Active Member

If your radio is like mine, you'll have to drill new holes in the side brackets for everything to fit flush (not a big deal)....

[​IMG]