Help...ASAP

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by undrgrndrdr15, Jan 17, 2009.

1. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

so driving home tonight i got caught on an ugly hill with a person who stops short and a person right on my ass... long story short i ended riding the clutch a bit taking off and everything was cool... well i parked for a while and went to eat and when i get back and go to head home my car is acting like the clutch is slipping... i have less than 10,000 miles on an act 6 puck sprung clutch... the only thing that seemed weird is that when it "slips" it wants to jerk the wheel left and right violently.... any ideas... could this be something other than the clutch... i checked in my jacking the car slighty and the only thing i saw was drivers side cv boot is torn and slug grease but doesnt look too fresh..... any ideas...

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

You might have glazed the clutch. Try to drive it normally for a week or so and see if it goes away.

The comment about the steering makes me thing you might have done a number on your front diff if its splitting power unequally left to right but I'm no tranny expert.

3. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

If you take it up to 5th gear and mash the gas what does it do? If it slips bad and the rpms shoot up but you don't go anywhere it is probably the clutch.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That is an aggressive clutch for a 5mt. What mods do you have?

Maybe you got lucky and its just an axel.

5. WJM

WJM Banned

sounds like the axle to me, especially if the boot has been split for a long time, its a common thing to see.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Is there any clicking coming from the axle w/ the torn boot?

7. WJM

WJM Banned

There should be...however, I have seen joints get 'sticky' and cause similar situations w/out any noise.

8. undrgrndrdr15

there is no clicking or popping from the cv... i did do a pull in fifth last night and there was no slipping at all... fourth gear had a tiny bit of slipping but under that it slipped pretty bad with first being almost useless....

9. undrgrndrdr15

i have a 2.5 block 18g and all support mods with a protune by ss.... im putting down 296 and 328 witht he stock intercooler i thought the clutch would be ok...

btw its the act stg 3 6 puck sprung with the lightweight flywheel

10. undrgrndrdr15

any ways of checking to see if it is axle or diff or anythign like that on my own?

11. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

If it "slips" in the low gears, but not the high, it's NOT the clutch, it's probably the CV itself being totally destroyed... A trashed CV is the same as having a broken axle...

Siegel

12. undrgrndrdr15

ok i will be doing some checking tom...

13. WJM

WJM Banned

CV joint cannot slip.

14. undrgrndrdr15

i know the joint cannot slip but the car is acting just like the clutch is slipping... i drove it a little more today and it wants to pull a little in 3,4,5 as long as i keep the boost low... and it still wants to rip the wheel in one direction when it does it... i will be checking the car tom...

15. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I say clutch. No way would you get the slip your talking about and not hear a huge clunking. Not to mention if the axle is broken and the boot torn the axle will be flopping around all over the place. The clutch has probably worn down just below the tq limit for your car.

What happens is as you take off you put a small amount of heat into the disks. This head allows the clutch to slip. This is also the reason you don't see it in high gears.

16. undrgrndrdr15

any ideas for the jerk then... anything i chould check besides the cv?

17. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i would prob fix the cv since you know that's either shot or on it's way out (split boot, old grease, etc) and if the clutch is still feeling slippy, then go do that too (unless you figure something else out).

it doesn't sound like you're going to get away with "one" fix unfortunately.

18. undrgrndrdr15

i planned on doing the cv and was going to drive a little more to see if maybe the clutch is glazed??

i have never heard of that before can someone give me some more technical info on that...

19. Doug@DBW Motorsports

The jerk could be a cause of the clutch's slip then grab repetition. Sort of like warped brake rotors, the clutch disk, pressure plate, or flywheel may be warped causing high and low spots. So when it slips it tends to grab a bit harder in certain areas causing tq steer then not tq steer or a jerking in the wheel.

20. undrgrndrdr15

would it do this even if it was not catching at all... the rpm just shoot up until i let off the gas with no catching until i barely throttle it in fourth and fifth...

sorry to seem so dumb on this im just having a hard time believe my clutch could be gone this quickly...

21. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

If it was the clutch wouldn't it slip worse in the high gears? Could it be front or center diff maybe? Clutch does not seem like it would cause things to go side to side...

22. undrgrndrdr15

would a video help... i can record it tom and post it up if anyone thinks it could help..

23. Doug@DBW Motorsports

just swing by the shop, we can go for a quick spin. That will answer all the questions

24. undrgrndrdr15

i dont think i can make it to the shop.... if i was closer i would for sure...