Legal Top End Run....

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by SonicBoom, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I don't have all the details yet, but a friend at work (vette owner) is getting information about an event coming up in South Carolina. Its set up for people to make runs to find out the top speed of your car. You'll have a mile to get up to top speed and a 1/4 mile to slow down... As far as my friend knows this is going to be legal so I'm assuming it is a sanctioned event. Its sponsered by a bunch of rich Vette owners so I'm figuring they would have the $$ to do it.. I will post more info when I get it to see if anyone on here is interested in a group trip. I am curious to see what my car can do.. as far as I've heard, a protuned STI can do right around 170.... I have some questions though that maybe some of you guys can answer...

1) Is a mile long enough for an STI to get to top speed??? In the videos I've seen of top speed runs for the STI, its very quick to get to 140 or so... then the remainder takes a while to get to top end.. It seems to me like we would need more room than that....
    2) Many have complained that our hoods are very unstable at high speeds... that they raise up and seem like they are going to fly off... While I'll only be going fast enough to worry about it for a minute or so, do I need to be worried about this? Is there any way to temporarely more secure using ties or something?
    3) Would race gas help me at all? Not that I think it would help me go faster or anything, I was just thinking as far as detenation is concerned...
    4) Should I adjust tire pressure? Not even sure which way would be better more/less....

Like I said, details are very sketchy at this point, and I'll update this thread as I get more info.. I just think it'd be cool to make a top speed run and not worry about going to jail....

2. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i would be completely down for this....

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I'm pretty sure it's not. At 170mph, you're traveling a mile every 20 seconds. I'm not sure the physics behind it, but I'm pretty sure (unless you have a beast car) you can't make it there in 1 mile. I know the salt flats use 2-mile strips for top speed (at least they did on Top Gear) and they still couldn't get to full speed (granted it was on salt)

I've done 140 before...trust me, the last thing you're looking at is your hood. However, the only part that I would say is unstable would be the scoop. But, like I said, I wan't paying attention to that.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter. 6000 rpms is the same whether you're in 1st gear or 6th. You could probably up your timing a bit to get a little more compression before detonation, but unless you're car is set up for this I don't think it would matter.

higher tire pressure = less tire surface contact with road = less friction from tires. Stands to reason higher tire pressure = faster speeds

I bet insurance (if this is legal) would be a super biatch for an event like this...
    Looks awesome, though...I'd be down :ddirty:

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Didn't the guys at top gear have something like 2 miles or 4 miles to top out their cars at the salt flats? Now I understand salt flats will be VERY different from hard concrete at michelin proving grounds (I can't imagine it anywhere else other than the black lake)

5. undrgrndrdr15

i know i have hit 150 in my car and still was not topped out but i dont know how long it took to get there.... still would be fun to see what i can get to in a mile!

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

As far as the whole mile thing... I hope its more that that and my info is wrong. I would think it would take at least 2 miles to get up to top end...

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

hmm. Yeah you'd need more than a mile I would say 4 for safety for idiots who have never driven a car that fast and need more room to slow down etc.

8. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

if it's only a mile long a quarter mile should be plenty of time to slow down...any (safe) car that can get to a speed at 1 mile should have the breaks / suspension to handle stopping in a 1/4. That's probably why it's only a mile, safety for people who can't drive at top speed.

9. undrgrndrdr15

if its a bunch of vette guys i could see it being longer than a mile... vettes should hit close to 200 and i dont think any street vette will do that... hell the acr tt viper that runs 200+ in the standing mile is well over a 1000 horsepower

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

11. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

i've done my cars max speed in sixth gear at redline..about 170+ on a 3 mile road and had plenty of time to slow down

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ now that sounds realistic... 3 miles seems like plenty of time... to get to 170 and back to 0 in 1 1/4 miles sounds way too short..

13. Scooby

Scooby New Member

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Looks pretty cool.... don't have the time off/$$$ to drive out to Nevada for a week or so.. but 90 miles would def. be enough room to get to top end and back..

15. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You are not going to reach the top speed of your car at Michelin proving grounds (black lake)... it's not that long.

16. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Is this at Maxton...or something like that I know they run an event every year called the maxton mile.

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Which event are you talking about?

18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

If your asking me.. I still don't know... No info after 2 weeks or however long its been...

19. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Matt mentioned this earlier:

Edit: FYI MPG is asphalt not concrete...

20. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

I also have redlined 6th gear in my sti several different times even with three other people in the car. dont know how fast i was going because as im sure you are aware the sti only reads 160 but the niddle was buried. the stretch of highway where i do this doesnt seem much more than a mile and i have plenty of time to do it in. i am running how ever a gt30r. i asked SS the top speed on a sti monday before i even read this and he said that he thought the sti tops out at 180-185.

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

just wanted to throw this out there that yes they are in fact quite a lot different. engine load (due to gearing, boost, etc) is a lot higher in 6th gear than first.

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yahtzee! Finally got some info, it is the Maxton mile... Its on April 4th/5th, cost is $200. It is a mile to get up to speed, 1/4 mile to stop. Thinking about going, but its iffy. As we've been talking about, a mile just isn't long enough for our cars to get up to top end... I've done 130ish allready, can't see paying $200 to get up to 150 and have to shut it down... My buddy is going though, so I'm gonna put some thought into it...

23. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I think i might go in september for the motorcycle runs.

24. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I'd be down to go just for the spectacle. I bet it is a madd scene with lots of cool stuff. I have no desire to drive my car though, b/c i don't anticipate getting to top speed. I've been 160+ in a built H22A swapped accord before.

If you have space I'd be down to ride and throw down on traveling expenses.

25. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ I'm thinking the same thing... I'd imagine there will be a ton of high horsepower exotics, as well as regular schmoes like us.. Maybe a class trip is in order..