Nitrogen in Tires

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by skoloseven, Mar 8, 2009.

1. skoloseven

skoloseven New Member

Hello,

I just did an article review for Tires 2U and decided to go with nitrogen in my tires. I could instantly tell a difference. Is this in my head or have others experienced this too? My unsprung weight difference was actually noticeable. It felt like the car had went from OEM rims to how light weight aftermarket rims feel, but just not as much weight loss; same feeling though.

That being said, I have upgraded suspension too which should make more a difference.

02 impreza wrx

Perrin Sways F/r
    Perrin Endlinks
    Perrin sway mounts
    Rear strut tower brace
    Godspeed Lat links
    OEM rims sumitomo h4 all seasons
    H-brace
    Front strut tower brace

I still have stock shocks, and springs.

I'm curious as to who all has nitrogen in their tires, what car / suspension mods you have, and what the results were. Thanks for posting!

2. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

awwsum

3. schneid

schneid Member

I think nitrogen in tires should be called nitrosham

4. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

concur...haven't heard anything positive other than people's beliefs that it's better. I'll search tomorrow when I have more time, but I remember reading about how nitrogen was actually worse in tires. Can't remember off the top of my head exactly why, but I'll do a little more digging tomorrow.

5. It slices,dices and is yours for 3 low payments of 19.99$ plus shipping and handling,plus,if you act now we will even through in a second set for free.

Lets just say I can fill up my tires at work for free and usu. just use plain old air,which,btw,is 81% nitrogen already.

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Its closer to 78 ;)

7. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

i agree on the possible nitroscam, i think jeremy from top gear mentioned while testing the GTR that they run nitrogen due to it being more stable and predictable at different temps. or something.

8. I have nitrogen in my tires only because I can put it in for free at work and cant tell a difference with prodrive springs.

9. Trey

Trey Active Member

Nitro in tires makes the pressure more stable across a broader temp range vs normal air. Air will heat up and expand more quickly thus increasing the air pressure and affect the way the car handles on a track. Normal daily use is pointless in my opinion.

It's not a sham unless you think you get more that that. ;)

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Not to threadjack, but since Genya is back in town, we should get him to write a detailed post about Nitrogen fills vs Air fill for Genya's Corner. It has been so long since anything new has been there.

11. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I can assure you on a racecar its worth it.

When you compress air from the enviroment you also get water vapor.

When I used air in my race tires I would see between 12 and 20lbs of pressure change in the tires.

When I used Nitrogen I saw about 2 psi of total change.

So I could come in and set my hot tire pressure one time and it was good for the rest of the day vs. the old way of doing it every session. With regular air I usually only got 2 laps at peak grip\pressure with nitrogen once the tires came up to temp I could run laps till I ran out of fuel.

Its very much not a Scham....unless you are talking about running it on the street, oh and the change you felt had nothing to do with the nitrogen.

12. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I know that some places, like Troncalli Subaru, include 1 free year of roadside assistance; plus you can bring the car back if you get a flat for a refill...once. Really, not a bad deal for $40. Isn't that what a year of AAA costs?

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

For normal every day use it may be a scam, but as slowwrx put it, track days will make all the difference. I say this being the guy who sells the nitrogen, the nitrogen generators and or other associated equipment to car dealerships and race teams. As for those of you who want a stable psi in their tires at all times from a cold start to carving canyons and back home, you can't go wrong with NI. On another note coming from the rock crawler side of things, some guy's will use CO2 to air up their tires when heading home or if we get a pinch flat i.e., separating the bead from the rim, we'll hit a quick shot of CO2 for a refill. Unfortunately if you run CO2 for a long period of time in a tire it will degrade the rubber composition of the tire and this is what 07ltd#767 may be referring to.
    CO2 bad, AIR good, NI best

14. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

The guys at Butler tire use N2. They said it increases the life of the tire b/c pressure changes associated w/ air will contribute to uneven tire wear. I've used it in low profile tires but unsure if it is currently in my stock tires.

15. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

PV=nRT
    Major change in temperature changes the

16. skoloseven

skoloseven New Member

I'll really like it this summer when I hit the hot sand paths.. that sand can get reaaalllly hot on the surface. Maybe the cooler tire gas will help keep tread longer

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

i have always used nitrogen in my tires, so i really cant tell the difference.

18. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

To say you noticed going from air to nitrogen has got to be the biggest placebo effect I've ever heard of.

Did you actually weight the wheel/tire combo? There is no way that it's even 0.5 pounds, it's probably not even 0.1 pound.

I bet a tire with 35psi of Nitrogen weighs notably MORE than a tire with 32 psi of air, even the warst air.

Air is over 70% nitrogen... wet air increases it's pressure with temperature MUCH more than dry air. All nitrogen is, is perfectly dry air.

Nitrogen is great for race cars that take the tires from 60 degrees to 200 plus and are driven at the limit. It's WORTHLESS for cars that's tires stay near the same temp and aren't being pushed to the limit.

Siegel

19. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

just not worth the extra cost in my opinion

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

21. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Sorry, I was a bit grouchy after a long day. I often post and then realize that I'm not saying something useful and then edit it...

Siegel

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

23. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I prefer seasonal tire air...just switched to Spring Air and man, what a difference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009