Ugh, I have to dump money into the STi... Best place for clutch & bearing change?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by dustybottoms, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dustybottoms

dustybottoms Member

Just curious what the forum thinks.

I have to replace my front wheel bearings (04 STi) as well as my clutch.

With the clutch, I'm thinking of going with the ACT Street & gruppe-S flywheel as I doubt I'll hit 400wtq anytime soon.

Anyway, I'm just trying to find a decent shop that won't rob me on the labor for both the clutch install + bearing install (+parts).

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

2. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

We just ordered the ACT street clutch for a customer, nice clutch. As for the wheel bearings, I am a supporter of the hub swap. I did it and never looked back.

3. '05limited

'05limited Member

I like ACT - just don't get the 6-puck, I have it and it does a great job but the chatter is a little rough - if I had to do it again I'd get the HD.

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I love my HD

5. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

TopSpeed is a great place to get your work done :D (he did ask)

Siegel

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

stay away from Gruppe-S.....just a fair warning....they arent what they used to be and their customer service has gone down the drain....

7. dustybottoms

dustybottoms Member

Waiting on an email from Valerie... :wavey:

-Chandler

8. dustybottoms

dustybottoms Member

I'd love to do the hub swap, but it is quite cost prohibitive, seeing as I'd need to buy wheels (the previous owner put HRE's on the car), shocks, new rotors, etc. In a perfect world, I'd swap my stock wheels+ HRE's +cash for the hub conversion kit + prodrive G1's (or similar)+ suspension. I know that is pretty far fetched, but I just don't want to go through the headache of selling my wheels.

Would you mind sending me a PM with the price of the ACT street clutch+ flywheel? I don't want to go below 13.5lbs on the flywheel, and am researching some options now, but am absolutely open to expert suggestions :)

9. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

We will not Rob you!

2 Recent reviews on Clutch transactions from Zen Motors, LLC. One was installation.

http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23913

http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23884

We have competitive prices. And offer tracking number same day of order. Buy a clutch thru us and I'll do 15% off our installation. Our Regular labor rate is $80.00 an hour.

We can do the ACT Street Disc for $599.99 and the ACT Street Light Flywheel for $303.50 Both prices shipped. + Gwinnett county sales tax 6%

Let us know!

Take care!

10. Valerie

Valerie Member

Hey Chandler. Sorry It's been a little crazy here! Give me a call and we'll talk numbers and such! :)

I'll throw in a free hug with purchase :wiggle:

Thanks,
    Valerie
    678-297-7770

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Free hug from Valerie = deal sealing transaction :rofl:

12. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

i'll go with zen motors. Tray will take care of you ;)

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Topspeed has more Subaru experience than any other shop around. That means more than anything.

14. dustybottoms

dustybottoms Member

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What is your current suspension setup? If I had to guess you can ditch the HREs for more than the price of the entire hubswap. You can always have the rotors re-drilled or upgrade to a nice set of DBAs. Stock 05 STi suspensions are easy to come by. Why are we still discussing this? Get to that hub swap!

16. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Batlground for the win!

17. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

kingwrex at sok