Cobb apv2 Voltage error?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by monyg85, Apr 17, 2009.

1. monyg85

monyg85 Member

I just installed and reflashed my ecu using the Cobb ap, but during the installation...right after it downloaded my stock settings, it gave me an error saying that my voltage in my battery was insufficient. It needed minimum of 11.7 and i had 11.4...but it also gave me the option to Retry the flash and i did. It went and completed it the second time around. I was wondering if anything could be messed up? or the reflash isnt 100% complete? Has anyone else ever gotten this?...i hope nothing is messed up with the ECU

2. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

You really need to make sure the voltage is good while flashing. It CAN mess up your ecu if the voltage is not correct. If it completed...well, ya got a 50/50 chance at this point, lol. If the car starts and you are able to plug in and see what the current tune is, then you are probably ok. But the ECU is apparently sensitive to voltage levels and changes while flashing. This is one of the issues we are currently experiencing with Sonny's car.

3. monyg85

monyg85 Member

I see...Yea it worried me for a bit there. I quickly pressed Retry on the Accessport (without giving it a hard thought) and then realized what could happen. But yes after it completed the flash, i went back and checked to see if everything works and if the map i loaded is indeed loaded, and said that it was and so far everything has been good to go. I only continued the installation since it was saying that my battery is at 11.4 and it needed 11.7 i guess i didnt think much of that difference! ...could have turned out bad.

4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I take it the car runs and drives fine? Does the accessport still communicate ok with the car? I mean can you look at real time data and such?

5. monyg85

monyg85 Member

Yea i mean so far so good (knock on wood)...ive been driving it around a little, enjoying these upgrades and maps...i love this ap. Well worth the money...ive been keeping an eye out on the real time data on the car/engine....everything seems to be ok....idk. Should i uninstall it and relfash everything again?

6. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

The ecu will be fine.. you can pull the file out of the ecu without needing to have it in flash mode ie:12v. Have done it many times, so I wouldn't worry about anything.

7. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Yup, as long as it starts and runs and communicates it is fine. The one time I saw it go bad, the car would not start, run, or communicate. The ECU was a brick.

8. monyg85

monyg85 Member

ok thats good, Everything still going smooth and the ECU is still runnin everything. Now all i need is protune sometime in the future! :bigthumb:

9. WRXappeal

WRXappeal New Member

I have a cobb apV2 for sale if anyone wants it... I only have the unit, usb, and connector.... $550

10. monyg85

monyg85 Member

Damn lol..that could have saved me a good bit of money had i known earlier!

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

SO how is the ap working for you. Did you notice any power changes? I ran stage1 and saw a little difference. Than i tried stage2 and not that much of a difference than stage 1.

12. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

that's because your car is broken. Seriously, you won't benefit from a stage 2 flash unless you have the supporting mods.

13. monyg85

monyg85 Member

I love the AP....its working great. I flashed to a stage 2 and immediately noticed changes. Turbo spools up, smoother accelaration...i mean there are a number of noticable things. it feels so much better now...

Brokenwrx, u barely noticed a change? from stage 1 to 2? What mods have u done to car?

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

One time my AP came unplugged in the middle of the flash and I couldn't start the car. I forgot how I fixed it but it worked lol. Its recommended you have all electric amenities off when doing the flash, no radio, lights, etc. What battery are you running by chance?

And yea, if you don't notice a difference between stage 1 and 2, either your butt dyno is broken or its the car. Stage 2 is Up-pipe and Down pipe on the wrx fyi.

15. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Lol i ran stage 2 just for fun to see if i would benefit. I only have CAI,Sti catback. Running stage 1 surelly shows big difference than stock. Stage2, ofcourse no difference cus i dont have supporting mods(again did it for the heck of it).

AND my car is not broken. that was like 6 months ago. :) And my car wont be stock for long.