Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Infiniti G37 Coupe

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wileycoyote0022, May 7, 2009.

?

On a overall comparison which would you choose?

Poll closed May 21, 2009.
  1. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Infiniti G37 Coupe

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Wanted to get some input from others about this. I have heard a few good things about it, but its a Hyundai?!?!

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont...Id=20266279/articleId=142826/firstNav=Gallery

Infiniti G37 Coupe (Base: $35,800)

Length: 183.1 in. Width: 71.8 in.
    Height: 54.8 in. Wheel Base: 112.2 in.
    Curb Weight: 3633 lbs. Gross Weight: 4656 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 39.4 in. Front Hip Room: 53.4 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 53.7 in. Rear Head Room: 34.5 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 52.7 in. Rear Hip Room: 48.2 in.
    Front Leg Room: 43.8 in. Rear Leg Room: 29.8 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 7.4 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 4

Performance
    Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.7 liters
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 330 hp
    Max Horsepower: 7000 rpm Torque: 270 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 5200 rpm Drive Type: RWD
    Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

Fuel
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 20 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway/Combined)
    Automatic: 18 mpg / 26 mpg / 21 mpg
    Range in Miles:
    Automatic: 360 mi. / 520 mi. / 420 mi.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 (Base $32,250)

Exterior
    Length: 195.9 in. Width: 73.4 in.
    Height: 58.3 in. Wheel Base: 115.6 in.
    Curb Weight: 3748 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 40.4 in. Front Hip Room: 54.3 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 58.3 in. Rear Head Room: 37.7 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 57.9 in. Rear Hip Room: 54.3 in.
    Front Leg Room: 44.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 38.6 in.
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 16 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Performance
    Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.8 liters
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 290 hp
    Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 264 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 3500 rpm Drive Type: RWD

Fuel Tank Capacity: 19.3 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway/Combined)
    Automatic: 18 mpg / 27 mpg / 21 mpg
    Range in Miles:
    Automatic: 347.4 mi. / 521.1 mi. / 405.3 mi.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

drive them both. G37 all the way!

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

G37...

Hyundai has come a very long way, but it still hasnt gotten to the same point as Nissan\Infinity when designing good cars.

Go drive them both, and I bet you will like the G better. Plus these new VQ motors are pretty awesome to drive. My dad has the G35S sedan, if I had the money for a classy DD that would be it.

4. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

335xi coupe....lol....I'd prefer the g37 over hyundai..

5. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Hahaha.... I wouldn't want either, but there's no F'in way I'd ever buy a Hyundai for a penny over $15K. If I were spending that much coin on a car I could think of 20 things I'd rather have than either of those. But if you like them that's all that matters!

6. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

If you gonna buy a Genesis coupe, get the 4cyl turbo R Spec. It's got a lot of potiencial! And I think it's around $23,500. The motor was produced by the same people that made the new EVO motor(very small differences). Theres quite a few on Youtube starting to produce good power numbers and from what I had reed somewhere, AMS has some interest in this car aswell, possibly a canadate for a 2.3 stroker kit!

That's just me talking. I can't leave well enough alone, so I want the one that can possibly be messed with the most.(Bang for the buck!) If your looking to keep it pretty stock then just get the G37....

Altough, the new 3 seires is HOT!!!

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

If you are going to track it and mod it, Hyundai, but if this is to be a daily with light to moderate mods, go with the G37. For those who say they would "never" pay XXXXX for a hyundai, realize that in the late 80's the same thing was being said about Subaru...things change, car companies progress, get over it...

8. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

^ Yeah, what he said!:rofl:

9. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I think that while BelvnAWD has a good point, so does mmtasty. While in the 80s you would have said I'll never pay over $XX,XXX for a Subaru, and now they're awesome, you still wouldn't have paid that much for a Subie back then. It hasn't been tested enough to be sure that they're at the quality level that they're projecting to the public. Things change and car companies progress, but while Hyundai has come a long, long way, I still don't know that they're quite there.

The Genesis coupe is totally hot, but with the unproven longterm reliability of a Hyundai performance car, out of the two, I'd go with the Infinity.

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Also something to conside, the infinity is going to hold its value ALOT better than the hydundai will.

11. '05limited

'05limited Member

They're both sooooo heavy...???

12. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

335ci with 6-speed manual tranny -close thread- hehe

13. blaster

Forget what I said earlier. This is what I meant to say.

14. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

G37, make sure you get the OEM BBK

15. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

why no 135 in the poal??

It's got more powaz than either already listed, and has a bigger braking setup than either.

16. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

cause it's like 50k by the time you're done configuring it? I would like a 135 except that BMW maintenance is absurd.

17. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Who cares about those cars...get your Subaru Dyno'd at Topspeed on 5/30!

18. BelvnAWD

10 year - 100,000 mile standard warranty should take care of the reliability issues...and MMTasty said he would NEVER pay more than XXXXX for a Hyundai...

19. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I have owned a hyundai is the past and will never own another one again. It was by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Now the Genesis is does looks sharp and looks good on paper but from my personal experience I certainly would not spend that amount of money on one.

I would by a Miata and a rainbow flag decal before I would by another hyundai :fawk:

20. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

21. I was having a debate with some buddies at work. That even if Hyundai came up with a sports car that could hold up with a G37 coupe, it still wouldn't sell that great, cause its Hyundai.

22. blaster

Fair enough, never is a strong word. Today, or even in the next decade, I wouldn't drop that kind of coin on a Hyundai. And what do you get with that warranty when it's in out of the shop constantly, should that happen? It's nice that it's free, but it's still a PITA.

23. FACE

FACE Active Member

What is the diff in INS prices?

G37 if the STi did not exist

24. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

hahaha....

25. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Not necessarily true!

I wouldn't pay more than $7k for a Hyundai.
    I wouldn't pay more than $15k for a Subaru (I didn't).
    I wouldn't pay more than $40k for a car... ever.

And look at what happened with the VW Phaeton - No one would pay $80k for a VW! Its why Lexus and and Acura exist - because people (especially Americans) have strong branding/image issues with cars.

For the record, I will say Hyundai is doing an impressive job of trying to break out of their mold. But I will never buy one.

And to get back on topic, G37, hands down.

Motor trend just did a similar comparison: V6 Hyundai Genesis and the V6 Camaro.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0907_2010_chevrolet_camaro_v6_vs_2010_hyundai_genesis_coupe_3_8_track/index.html

These are strange times.

26. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Well I guess Hyundai should have spun off a luxury brand just like the Japanese brands have and work their cars on that platform that cost more than 30k maybe. I think that may have been a better idea.

27. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

americans are such weird critters... acura, lex, infin, aren't badges in japan, and bmw/audi are regular joe cars in germany. we require this mental lubing prior to penetration that is quite absurd.

28. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

so you like it rough, without lube eh? Didn't need to have that image really. :p

29. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Lexus and infiniti debuted in japan a few years ago...I think

30. BelvnAWD

So you will hold to an idea, even if proven incorrect and miss out on products that may in fact be fantastic? I will then say this, I will never understand your thinking on this topic...

as for miatas, I have contemplated the pink triangle sticker...