Help:Oil Change Shop Drained Tranny Fluid!!!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by bl-srt-4, May 4, 2009.

1. bl-srt-4

bl-srt-4 New Member

I need a little advice on what to do about my wife's Impreza. She has an Automatic '05 Impreza RS, and I had the oil changed on Saturday at what I thought was a reputable shop. Well, they drained the tranny fluid instead of the oil, and then filled more oil on top of what was already there.

I drove about 1,000 feet (maybe less) before I noticed the extremely hard shifting from the almost empty transmission. They were quick to fill the tranny fluid back up, and apologize for their mistake.

My questions are:
    1) Was this enough distance to cause any damage? I don't think it was, but please give me your opinion.

2) I don't know what type of fluid they filled it with. Should I go to the dealer to do a flush and fill with Subaru ATF fluid, or just do a drain and fill at home? I know it was a Pennzoil brand, but that's all I noticed.

I've heard that tranny fluid must be "pumped" into the vehicle to get the proper amount specifications, but I don't know if that pertains to my vehicle.

I appreciate any suggestions.

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

My first question is did they change the oil when they noticed their F-up?

and did they give you your money back???

And I would be worried about damage and make them pay for any repairs!

You should check with Steven King at Subaru of Kennesaw!

Good Luck man!

and Welcome to the site! :wavey:

3. bl-srt-4

bl-srt-4 New Member

Thanks...I've been trolling for quite a while...I just never posted until now.

Yea, they did change the oil when they noticed. I watched them this time!

I didn't get my money back (although I should have), I was more worried about long-term damage, and getting out of there quickly to check out the car.

I have a feeling that everything is fine, but I guess I need some reassurance instead of assuming.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Go to King and have him check it out

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

DIY Oil Changes = FTW!

6. I have to agree, I dont think I ever paid for an oil change. It will save you money and it will help you keep an eye on your car, everytime you change it taking a look at small things here and there. Keeping you from having major problems down the line.

Plus I just have a problem trusting people to work on my car.

Highly recommend King, hes good.

7. bl-srt-4

bl-srt-4 New Member

I agree, guys. I had actually just got through telling my wife that I needed to just do it at home, but I had been a little busy lately, so I thought I would just run by there really quickly. Needless to say, I won't be doing that, again.

Update: I found out that the tranny fluid they refilled it with is a Pennzoil ATF Multi-Vehicle fluid. Unfortunately, my wife has told me that the vehicle is making an odd noise when accelerating in first gear but ONLY when the car is cold. I tried to duplicate the sound when she got home, but to no avail.

After I fight some more with the shop (which they are being cooperative at the moment), I'll get them to pay the bill so I can go see the KING!!!

8. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

just make sure to get all the promises from that shop in writing.

9. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

was the car brought to SOK yesterday?

10. bl-srt-4

bl-srt-4 New Member

No, I haven't brought it in, yet.

I was trying to determine if I really needed to, but it's looking more and more like I might have to.

11. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

we had a car in the shop yesterday and the trans. filter had been crushed due to aftermarket shop thinking it was the oil filter.

bring it on in. the sooner the better, expecially if its the fault of another shop.

12. techlord

techlord Active Member

the longer you wait to take it in the less chance of them owning up to any problems found.

13. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

Drain all fluids immediately and replace :)

14. bl-srt-4

bl-srt-4 New Member

Update: After speaking with them Monday night, they wanted me to stop by to speak with the manager. I was very, very surprised, but he immediately gave me something in writing pertaining to what they had done without me asking.

The manager was familiar with the situation, and called Subaru while I was there to assure me that the tranny fluid they used would be fine. On a side note, I plan on replacing it with Subaru ATF.

He asked if he could look at the car one more time while I was there and I agreed. It turned out that the tranny fluid was 2 quarts low. Once filled to proper specs, it now drives perfectly.

I feel a lot better about the situation since they were very cooperative. I was even given the owner's name and number before I left if I had any problems.

15. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Wow, very nice. Sounds like they did a great job of rectifying the problem.

This is really common, though...draining the tranny accidentally.

16. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

how hard is it to fuck up an oil change? sheesh..this is another reason I do all routine maintenance myself. glad the shop is being cooperative

17. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

Hello i have a good automatic out of a 2005 rs with 32,000 miles on it for 500.00 and i am very aware of your issue and can help in the process.pm me and send me your phone #

18. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

This can help some.Usually these places drain the front diff on the auto trans by accident.Check the dipstick on the passenger side.Under the air box near the firewall.It should be empty and burnt up.If this is correct the oil change place is responsible.They will deny it and you should go to sog and have neil ck it for you and start the process of getting the new 4200.00 trans put in your car at there expense. Pm me if you want my trans at 500.00 or 1200.00 installed.Good luck.

19. bl-srt-4

bl-srt-4 New Member

Thanks, again, everyone. The RS is operating smoothly, and if I do have any trouble at least I have something in writing. Again, I don't think I will since they were so cooperative.

Now I'm off to change it out with some Subaru ATF.

Lesson learned...at least it wasn't a costly one.