Atlanta Motor Speedway drag races

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Mad Mallard, May 9, 2009.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

AMS is holding drag races on their 1/8th pit road.

http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/events/drags/

There's a test N tune next Friday. After that, they race and have a car show on Fridays.

I'm probably going next week with my dad. I know 1/8th isn't much of an interest to most folks, especially those on the north side content with Commerce. I'll take pics...

2. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

lol I've been racing there for the past three years. its a blast. we should meet up

3. Mad Mallard

woot. I didn't see any posts about it, here, but i didn't search very deep... ;p

4. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

I have never posted about it. it would be sweet to see a large group of subys dominate down there. the classes have been pretty weak. I've been undefeated with a mostly stock sti.... ill be in the pro four class this year where its a lot tougher to win. there's a 500hp starlet that leaves in the air I have to race now lmao. that thing is sick

5. Mad Mallard

so i'm joining just in time to get dumped into a big class, eh? ;p

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

im down

7. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

might have to bring the quad back out. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I put my transmission through this last year and had a blast in the process. Lots of fun for pretty much the cost of gas. Unless you break something.

9. Mad Mallard

this is hand drop, right? Will I even get a chance to brake torque and build boost?

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

Jewels you'll have to bring it down now. Omar needs some competition with his Harley powered golf cart.

11. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

yeah its a drop hands style race. if you're quick you can brake boost

12. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

:wiggle: ya got it

13. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I usually end up down there quite a bit during the summer. Will probably show the VW this year.

14. Mad Mallard

I'm not going to bother racing then.

there's just no point. Without a true stage, I'll never be able to build the boost I need to seriously launch outside of my tall 1st gear and boost lag. Especially if its only 1/8th mile...

and I can't sit there power braking for 30 seconds straght either..

15. Mad Mallard

gotta keep an eye on the weather.. %20 rain...

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

you can race a 4eat?

17. Mad Mallard

I can't tell if you're being cute or inquisitive.

In case its the latter, sure you can. The transmission proves itself much stronger than the 5mt as long as you take ATF fluid cooling seriously.

18. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

so you just step on it and go? what fun is that without shifting.

19. Mad Mallard

There is a technique to launching it, just like letting out on a clutch.

However unlike a stick, I can launch with about 11lbs of boost from a complete stop. Its a pretty interesting feeling and great for consistent 60' times.

20. Tireboi

Tireboi Member

im not goin this friday but next friday right after i leave school

21. Mad Mallard

is anyone there now? is it rained out? I can't find a valid telephone on their website, and nobody answers the one on this flier.

its really stupid, all the numbers are corporate, no warm bodies on the track.

22. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

lol I'm going up there. my houseis 1 mile from the track and its not raining. lmk if you head out. my name is ben (404) 291-8402

23. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

b reel and wishiwasfast are meeting me at my house between 8-30 to ride out

24. Mad Mallard

well you must not've gotten much for your dollar since they shut down at 9:30. :/

kinda lame. I ended up going with my dad for a while, only saw a legacy parked on the grass while we were there.

Also, what was up with how far away they had people standing? -_-

25. wishiwuzfast77

wishiwuzfast77 New Member

yeah we said tha hell with 930....lame O

26. Mad Mallard

they said they'd open the grandstands next week, but even at that fence, its really far compared to even commerce...

This seems like a really undeveloped operation yet, we couldn't find anyone willing to give us any number to call the track personnel and not the corporate offices. When we asked who do we call about being canceled for inclement weather, this woman just told us "we'll always be running. Its have to be a downpour before we stopped running."

sounds really professional. 9_9

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

Guess you haven't been before, last years events were pretty good, this was just a test and tune, next Friday is the start. Besides, this is just to keep the kids from running on the streets