Hey Topspeed any experience tuning this meth kit?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Labonte Motorsports? They have this 3g dash display kit with failsafes and all. How does it compare to the simple SMC kit?

2. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Yeah same thing as the Snow kit... which I had nothing but issues with.

3. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

We've had a couple labonte kits here. They were all installed by the customers and possibly installed wrong, but most had issues...

Siegel

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So I should stick with the SMC? I'm thinking of incorporating the failsafe into my car though.....what you think?

5. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I think you should just run racegas... but thats me.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I wish Doug! But racegas on a daily driver that travels 30 miles each way to work gets expensive!:rofl:

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

so buy a cheap beater.. I kid

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

what kind of race gas do yall have up there? any 100 octane?

9. siegelracing

We keep Q16 - mildly oxygenated 116 octane :D

Siegel

10. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Or make the switch to E85 and buy it cheaper than regular!

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

If you can find a station that sells it.

I know two gas stations where I can get 100oct or 112oct but I haven't seen any that sell e85.

12. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

sorry Delette for the hijack.

From that site there are only 22 in all of Ga and 7 that I would consider in the Atlanta area.

http://www.e85refueling.com/locationsplain.php?state=gaGeorgia

If gas prices stay low these e85 stations will start dissapearing. Without the subsidies from the gov't e85 would now be more expensive than gas.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

There's only 1 near me and it's 20 miles out of the way. E85 is NOT worth it if it's not readily available....you burn twice as much and don't get the same mileage.

15. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I got about 3-4 mpg less. Over the long term I got 22-23 mpg combined driving out of a tank of gasoline. I got 18-19 mpg combined driving out of E85. And it was 80 cents cheaper than premium. Plus you can make more hp than meth and gas. If you would have to go out of your way for race gas or out of the way for E85...well I would go with the E85 personally for the money. But hey, everyone has their preference!

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It's not 80 cents cheaper than 93 gas here.....

17. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Donno, it varies just like gasoline does. But I am sure it is a couple bucks cheaper than race gas right? What does it cost in comparison to Premium? Looked it up, looks like only $.40 cheaper than premium near you.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It was .43 cent higher than 93 last week. Its not readily available here so you are preaching to the choir.

19. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Wow, HIGHER? That's nuts. I was seeing an average of $1.72 in SC. Guess the guy that carries it near you is just jacking the price.

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah higher....it used to be lower. But consider that he is the only one around the 30 mile radius I can see why it's jacked up.

21. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

No problem with my Labonte kit after ~7 months (just straight boost based module). My tuning with Scott started poorly and he was ready to kill me when we had poor fuel pressure because TDC had done a half assed conversion of the Walbro hack a fuel pump housing and there was a busted o-ring. But to best of my knowledge the Labonte kit took no more than a few minutes to get good reliable performance out of. Scott was discouraged I did not want to run at least 75/25 since i am running 50/50. 50% water really kills the absolute power potential, but I went meth/water primarily for:
    1. detonation avoidance(#2 ringland failures seem to be common on Legacy GTs- intake design is unique to Legacy)
    2. eliminating hot spots in cylinder head (aka steam cleaning)
    3. no timing pulled in the summer
    4. Well duh, yeah I wanted more TQ and HP, too

I probably could have got 300 Whp out of VF40/18G with 75/25 but am extremely happy with 289WHp/316WTQ in a Legacy Station Wagon. Absolutely ZERO issues with the meth kit in 6 months and I have used... uhm like 7 gallons of 50/50 in 7 months.

I still have to agree with Scott- I am at least an intermediate level shadetree mechanic and a properly installed meth kit is time consuming and can create a potentially motor ending event if done improperly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  22. keithwrx

keithwrx New Member

is anyone useing the aem water/methanol kits?

23. siegelracing

We've used them a number of times. They are VERY time intensive to install but seem to work fine once they're in...

Siegel

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Scott out of all the Subaru meth injection kits.....which one do you like the most?