magnetic drain plugs

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Oil plug, tranny plug...

Preventative maintenance? Snake oil?

2. GregT

GregT Member

I had both on my miata, always had a thin film of fine metal each time I changed the oil.

3. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Back when I was a mechanic in college I saw a lot of these come through the door and just about every single one had metal particles on them...just my experience.

4. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

so why coulnt you just buy a magnet and stick it on the end of your oil filter?

I don't see how removing metal shavings from your oil can be harmful.

6. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I think removing metal fragments from the engine could not be anything but beneficial.

7. FACE

FACE Active Member

Had one on my 04 and where the bolt head attached...it leaked

I totally agree that removal of metal shaving is only a good thing though :)

8. There are at least 2 styles that go over/around stock oil filters.I would say that I would think they are a good thing.Most cars have magnets everywhere else(trans,diff) so why not for engine.A little extra protection.I would guess that the oil filters is supposed to trap any metal particles but it should not hurt for a little more help.My biggest problem has been finding a setup that works.With our cars the oil filter is fairly close to the exhaust.I was worried about getting too close.(adding/keeping heat in filter.)plus I wrapped some of my exhaust so even less room..As far as drain plugs I have yet to run accross one that fits our cars.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have a magnetic drain plug on my car that I got like $10. They are fairly common and can be found at some local auto parts stores.

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I call ineffective shenanigans...