swap to older engine

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 98skuby, Jul 22, 2009.

1. 98skuby

98skuby New Member

i have a 98rs. and i just bought a 96 svx engine and ecu and harness.
    i wanted to know if/when i swap that engine in would i still pass emissions (assuming i have the cats and other emission stuff)? more detailed is when they plug in the computer and see they engine isn't from a 98rs but a 96svx.

james

2. Smurfzilla

Smurfzilla Member

as long as all the emissions controls hardware is in place and working properly you should be fine.

3. Trey

Trey Active Member

OBDII is OBDII. :p

4. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I'm not sure if that engine is the route you want to go. A guy with the screenname Slack has been trying to get his engine swapped in for 3 years now. Still no luck. Unless you can afford massive downtime I would suggest doing a LOT of research into this.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

this.

6. 98skuby

98skuby New Member

oh i have, i am on several forums and it has been done. the hardest part is the electrical, but then again all swaps the electrical is hard. i know what to do i just need to do it and buy the parts.
    so the computers don't care that it is an older engine in a new car?
    i am keeping all the 98rs emissions, excpet for the engine it self, i even run cats...grr.
    thanks for the info.

7. More than likely the emission tech will not notice.You are 'supposed' to have the same size/style engine that the car came with or possibly one from an earlier similar model.The computer usually cannot tell unless maybe you have a newer car with the v.i.n. in the computer but even then its up to the tech.Is the svx obd2? Some manufacturers were behind on this..They will probably just hook up the machine and maybe glance underneath to see if you have cats.I know of some emi. techs who have never visually checked for cats.At the Ga clean air force we were told to just plug it in and the computer will know if there are cats or not.I was not going to raise my hand at this point.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

well, you'll need an SVX ECU for it to run

9. 98skuby

98skuby New Member

oh i have everything, well almost. i have an engine lined up and harnesses and ecu and the firewall ign controller. so it will be obd II compliant except for the older engine in a newer car.
    i am a tech so i can do it my self or know someone that can.