Need help with motorcycle, and some noob questions too.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mattprzy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

As I am waiting for approval to be registered at gstwins.com forums, I thought I would ask here and see if you could help with some bike troubles of mine.

I have basically driven this motorcycle almost everyday, I bought it new a year and a half ago. It's a 2007 Suzuki gs500f. I have also taken it to service every 3000 miles (starting at 1k miles), and now I'm at 15,000 miles. Since I had a bad time last service, I'd thought I'd start working on the bike myself. Here are some problems I'm experiencing.

note: The bike is carbureted, and has a fuel knob for "ON", "PRIME", and "RES"(erve).

Sometimes, as I am riding, the bike will start to choke up as if it's out of fuel. The tank will have plenty of gas left and I'd still have another 100 miles before I'd normally fill up or change the knob to reserve. This made me believe I have a clogged fuel line for the "ON". I checked it and it seemed fine.

Every time I come to a stop sign, the bike will want to cut off. If I'm unsuccessful at restarting it up (which is rare) the battery dies quickly and I won't be able to start it up without a jump or push. I have to blip the throttle constantly or hold the throttle a little to keep it rev'd up. I have attempted to adjust the idle, but I don't think I did it well enough or something else is broken and interfering. Once the bike is fully warm, the idle at stops will be at 3k (it's supposed to be at 1.2k). However, the idle will start to slowly come down after 5-10 seconds at a stop and die unless I blip it.

I think that I may have a vacuum leak and I may want to clean my carb. Air filter is clean too, and I want to say that my bike may run a little rich (as there is sometimes the smell of fuel while starting it up with choke).

How do I clean my carb? Do I need to take it apart and clean it with some special cleaner or just add something to my next tank of gas?

Here are some noob questions with pics:

what is this hose coming out of the battery? It was disconnected when I started working on my bike so I slipped it back on.
    [​IMG]

Is it normal for this to be that dirty? (these are hoses on the right side of the bike, I'm guessing oil??)
    [​IMG]

what the heck is this hose for? It doesn't connect to anything on one end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should I have to remove the carb to clean it, I'll have to get rid of some hoses in the way. These hoses have these weird clamps on them and what kinda tool do I use to move the clamps?
    [​IMG]

thanks for any help and input.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Clean your tank out, pull the fuel valve off and clean the screen and pick up. Make sure the vac line running to it is in good order I doubt you have any carb issues unless you run damn near empty before fueling up. Don't run around till you have to run on reserve and if you have to switch, make a beeline to the gas station.

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

i didn't read all the nonsense, but I think that second hose is the overflow for the carb. When you flood systems on a bike, they drain out a vent like that. Not completely sure (as I said, didn't read all the text), but that's what I recall from my dirtbike days

edit - ok, just read it...the first hose on the battery is standard...it's a drain for something that comes out during the reaction in the battery. my battery in my sti has that (two of them, actually). I think it's acidic or something, which is why the hose is there to direct it away from anything it may damage.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. b reel

b reel Active Member

it's a vent Drew, as for the other hose leading no where...

you should have two lines running to the tank besides a fuel line, one towards the top of the tank and another going to the petcock or fuel valve.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

I used to road race a gs500 wayyyy back when. Next time is stalls open the gas tank and listen for air rushing noise. If you hear it then the gas vent is blocked, kinked or not hooked up correctly. It's easy for all those vent hoses to get misrouted, so I usually ditch the emissions related stuff asap.

Needle nose pliers or channel locks will remove the clamps just fine. I use large screwdrivers myself, just stick it between the rings and twist so that the two little loops aren't even close.

Keep the battery hose on there so the corrosive stuff doesn't get on the bike!

G/L

P.S. you should get a shop manual for your bike, it'll answer most questions