Visual inspection at emissions? since when?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Alex, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted

For the first time since 06 the emissions placed actually checked for cats. I failed inspectio in about 15 seconds :clap:

Anyways, is this a new requirement by law or just new management.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

what is this emmissions non-sense?? lol

i dont know. but i thought the general consensus from everyone up there who was getting emmissions was that they NEVER check anymore

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I believe it is a new rule.

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

same thing happen to oneiguy.

5. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

so looks like we will all be welding some cat heat shields onto the downpipe soon ...

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

this is why I register my cars in bartow county.

7. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Hall County FTW!

8. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

Yeah, just sent a PM to rutspeed for his catted DP :)

Bit dumb honestly, if the car has a history of passing without an inspection I do not really see why they have to look... :unamused:

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, I went in Feb and the guy put a mirror under my car and said, "nope, you sure don't have a cat" and still passed me. Most fo the time they won't care as long as the car passes.

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I got my emissions done about 3 months ago by my house. The guy just plugged into my OBD2 port and checked my Gas Tank pressure. No visual inspection was done, and I passed with flying colors because of that.

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

12. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

For whatever reason this place immediately popped the hood and looked :)

13. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I failed the visual inspection with the legacy even though I had the heat shields on. His reasoning was that since it was modified, i likely just welded them on. I demanded a refund and went down the street.

14. Alex

:rofl:

15. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

I heard it's a new rule as well, The [location removed] is subaru friendly as the tech is a board member i believe. Maybe you could convince them the flex section of the uppipe is a cat? :sx:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm almost positive that someone had a resonator on their car, told the tech it was a cat and was passed...

17. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

awwww.....barrow county = no emissions........sigh

18. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

I remember them looking for a cat when I registered my FC RX7 in 2005. The same place checked when I registered my LGT a few weeks ago.

19. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

went to 2 different places last year for my car and my wife's. Guy used a mirror to make sure there was a cat on my wife's 04 TSX..... no mods at all. Other place didn't check my car.

20. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I thought that was always the rule... just no one ever checked.

21. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

it has been a rule always, no one did it though, i think they are jst cracking down lately. i was mirror checked and had no cat but i told him and showed the guy the up pipe and told him the cat was in it. he passed me. i got luck that time. now i have the turbo xs stealth back so i an just swap the cat pipe and race pipe when i go to get emissions done now

22. Alex

Thought about using the uppipe excuse.

23. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

i tried that. didn't work

24. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

There is a place just past [location removed]. It's a car wash emissions place on the right side of the road, hard to miss. Very laid back.

25. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

We need to start a "places that don't check" sticky... I think this is gonna become more common.

26. Brian

Brian Active Member

I disagree. If they are supposed to check (and they are) we'll just be busting the laid back places by documenting them. Think about it. If I say I've never been visually inspected who's going to stumble across that post and think "we need to crack down"?

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If anyone wants to start such a thread, please do it in Supporting Members only. If it is not a public forum, I think it is OK. Supporting Members being a private forum should be a safe place to put such a list of "Laid back Emissions" locations.

28. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Do you restrict who can be a supporting memember?

I think a post anywhere could still cause some serious grief for a "slack" inspection place.

As a matter of fact I think this thread should be cleaned up.

29. 2thAche

2thAche Member

I did mine in May on [location removed] and there was no problem. (No visual inspection). Probably depends on the shop and your rapport.

30. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

We restrict supporting members to people who have donated to support the site. I wouldn't expect inspectors to donate to see a list of lax locations, but who knows what lengths the government might go to screw us. I will defer this to Alex, but will stick to, if there is to be such a thread here on WRXatlanta, the only possible acceptable place for it would be in the Supporting Members forum.

31. Alex

I agree; however, I would be hesitant to have such a thread in the public section(s) of the forum as it may place those shops in a legal pinch. I would not mind creating a listing in a private forum, such as supporting members lounge.

32. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Supporting members get a lounge? Who knew...

33. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Same thing happened to me in March. I said ok, i'll put my stock cat back on, you guys can inspect it and then i'll take it back off! What a hassle!

34. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

To add to all this, I've heard of instances where cops have used mirrors to check for cats. So be on the lookout for that too.:eek3: