Cobb TBE

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by bdydrpdmazda, Sep 10, 2009.

1. bdydrpdmazda

bdydrpdmazda New Member

So after alot of research I think Ive decided to go with the Cobb TBE with the Cobb accessport. from what Ive seen it puts up some very good numbers. This will be my very first mod to my 04 STi. Do you guys think this is a wise decision? How hard is it to install? Does anybody on here have the Cobb TBE on their STi? Suggestions?

2. atlxkevinx

atlxkevinx Member

My buddy has the Cobb TBE on his wrx. It sounds really good and mellow. Louder than stock but quiet on the inside. I really like the way it looks.

3. bdydrpdmazda

bdydrpdmazda New Member

i watched several clips of it on you tube and I think it is exactly what Im looking for as far as sound and looks go. Im hoping it will give me the gains that rallysportdirect.com claims that it will. They have the TBE and the accessport paired up for a little under $1900.

4. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

I have this setup on my STI and so far I love it. The installation and fit are easy. There are no surprises. The power gains are nice it it makes good noises too. You definitely can't go wrong with the Cobb TBE. The only downside really is the cost.

5. bdydrpdmazda

bdydrpdmazda New Member

is there any advantages to using a Cobb intake and up pipe with it or do mating up the parts really not matter?

6. amonsta

amonsta Member

I would shop for a used setup!! 2 grand is a nice step in the direction of a rotated kit. So shop here and nasioc in my opinion and pick it up for half off!!

7. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Yeah definitely try to pick up the parts used.

There is no benefit to using all cobb branded parts like the intake and up pipe you mention. There are plenty of choices out there and most of them provide the same performance. If you are going to get an intake make sure you do your homework. A lot of the intakes out there require additional tuning etc.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

The cobb components are certainly top notch, welds and material quality are excellent. I would not suggest installing a DP unless you are ready to have the car tuned as well.

Considering Catless or Catted?

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

and also you dont need an up pipe. you are catless there already. it would help, but its not as crucial as if you had a WRX with a catted up pipe. so you can hold off on that for a while

10. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Only thing I have seen an issue with is the Cobb pipes with the high flow cat. Had a couple that threw codes...my catless turboxs did not. Weird I know, but I have seen this with a couple high flow cat pipes now. I will have my entire turboxs TBE up for sale shortly....going rotated as well since turbo needs to be replaced.

11. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

IIRC, most of the catted downpipes come with some sort of fix or have the option to. Of course, EM will remove said codes. Going catted is the responsible way to go (if you can afford the extra coin for the catalytic converter option).

12. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Actually no, this is the same issue Scott Seigel had with WRXCoupe's car. Was "fixed" but failed readyness. It had to be temporarily flashed to Opensource for emissions. Again, never had this issue on a catless car. Scott and I had this discussion the other day. It is not every car or every downpipe, but the ones we have both seen have been ones with high flow cats.

I won't go into the whole "responsible" argument right now. But do some readings on No2 emissions caused by catalytic converters.

13. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Cobb's nice, I use their catback exhaust (rotated, so different downpipe). You can mix and match pieces all day long, just be careful if you use Cobb in there. They reduce to 2.5" at the dowpipe / midpipe junction, so it's not completely 3". We actually cut the reducer off mine and welded on a new section to make it a true 3" exhaust.

14. Alex

I thought it was something that should be said, balance out the thread :)

Interesting that the codes are not as easily removable as I previous thought. Thanks for the information.

15. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Double posting n00b!

16. tolnep

tolnep Member

what about APS?

compared to cobb.. and what about their 3.5 inch TBE? And its a bit confusing with APS because you can order a high flow cat at extra cost with both their 3 and 3.5 inch systems. a bit more money but supposedly nice stuff.

17. Alex

APS is nice and extremely modular. You usually can find them used more regularly than the Cobb setup as well.