Going to look at a 2002 WRX

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Stormhammer, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Just wanting to know what to look for - the car has 121k on it, and recently had a new clutch installed, and so far looks completely stock.

Any heads up? I know the 2002 had some transmission troubles, so it makes me wary...

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

try and bribe someone knowledgeable to go with you. there is a lot you can deduce very easily. hacked up turbo heat shields, cluster wires clipped, the feel of a proper 5MT engagement, spliced and hacked up turbo vacuum lines and oil breather lines, etc ad naseum

where is the car?

3. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

in the northern metro Atlanta area :D

Yeah, I'm generally on par with noticing the heat shield, vacuum line, etc ( I own an old Mitsubishi Starion, so I'm relatively familiar to noticing hack jobs <_< )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. johnswrx

johnswrx Member

i test drove 2 weeks ago and it was a POS!

5. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

The exact same one? Why was it a POS?

Also, what's the general consensus on the auto WRXs?

6. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Do titties come with that vagina?

No one here drives an automatic wrx ( as far as I know)
    Personally, I wouldn't. Its not very manly at all. Plus there's a loss in performance and control.

Its not nearly as much fun to drive AND REAL SPARTANS DRIVE MTs!!

But if u want to make it easier to talk on a cell, eat burgers, or be lazy in general, then go for it!:pssh:

This is blasphemy.. read up

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

^Just a heads up, I know there are at least a few people on here that drive automatics. Just wanted to prepare you for the possible rebuttal :)

8. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

Megadeth's_wife drives an auto. She has blonde moments...I don't want her shifting.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Stay on topic ;)

10. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Well, to be quite honest I'll more than likely will not be modifying the car - more like just having a decently fun DD.

I ask about the auto because the only other WRX that's stock and under $10k within 100 miles of me is a silver automatic.

Oh, and an Impreza wagon that apparently was in a fender bender, fixed and repainted solid black.

11. johnswrx

johnswrx Member

small cosmetic things and drove horrible. i think if you wait you will find one in better shape and be happier. maybe its not a POS! but i wouldn't buy it. nothing is wrong with auto its whatever makes you happy

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I drive an Stg 2 SS turned Auto and love it. k thx.

You also get the nicer AWD system.. which is closer to the STi ;)
    :argue:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  13. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Yeah, also there's the tiny problem of finding a WRX that isn't modified, that is under $10k, in GA.

14. I have an auto WRX too... :keke: See post below.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  15. I have an auto WRX.... I drive 30 miles in heavy traffic everyday so its better than manual for that purpose.. plus we're hoping to tote a baby around in it one of these days... I didn't want to deal with manual and a baby in the backseat... but I can drive a manual.. the hubs is a manual... :keke:

16. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

The 02 auto is probably better than the o2 5mt since the 5mt is just a hacked 4eAT. I would not suggest buying an 02 unless you're getting a great deal on it. 1st year production car. That particular model almost bankrupted Subaru because of all the recall drama. The 02 WRX is the reason Subaru eventually beefed up their gear sets in the 5mt slighlty, transitioned to the 2.5 and upgraded the brakes. Mild mods will pull it apart if you're not careful. About the only noteworthy things on this model is the chassis and maybe the ej205, It's definitely not fast but it's not bad for a little open deck 2.0 liter. Just my opinion and yes I own one. One other foot note, if you go with an auto, which I wouldn't get, they're atleast cheap to replace............................

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

recall drama?

I don't recall THAT many recalls...

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

where did you get this information from?

19. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

I may end up settling for a 02 2.5RS

It's retarded at how difficult it is to find a non-wagon Legacy too

20. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Member

Why would you want to do that? ;)

21. Matt

don't settle for that....

22. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

Wagons are hard to find in GA...if you are willing to look out of state, the price drops in accordance to the need for awd. More Subaru's = the cheaper they are.

23. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Well, here's what I want to find

the older Legacy sedan
    1998-2001 Impreza 2.5RS - or the Outback Sport

a wrx if it's priced right and mileaged right.

24. wangan_x

wangan_x Member

go go legacy turbo, btw Stormhammer, where you been man haven't seen hide nor hair from you on D-S. You too good for us now that you are getting a fancy subaru? :D

25. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

haha I just lurk that site honestly. I still have my Starion :D It was my Maxima that got wrecked :(

So I took the out of state advice.

Looking at one up all the way in MA...

[​IMG]

$6600

26. wangan_x

wangan_x Member

27. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

btw, I don't want a Legacy older than the late 90s...

28. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Persoanlly I would stay away from a car that has spent that much time up north in the snow and salt. I have worked on a few and they were a mess underneath and harder to work on.

Just be patient and you will find a good car locally.

29. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

This post has some bad info.

Almost bankrupted Subaru? Come on man, it wasn't he SVX (which DID almost bankrupt Subaru)

30. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

31. wangan_x

wangan_x Member

swapping to a MT ain't bad man

32. techlord

techlord Active Member

are you planning to keep the Starion? Maybe you can work a deal with chad on his built 02 wrx. May be a tad out of your range but worth a try. The car has all the goodies to keep it reliable for the conservative power it is making for what it has.
    here is the thread.
    http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25701

33. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

The statement about the WRX almost putting Subaru out of business is true.
    Every auto manufacturer adds a certain amount of $$$ to the price of a unit to basically "put away" for warranty claims. For example GM adds approx. $3500 to the price of a unit. Prior to 2002 Subaru had the sum of $450 per unit to "put away" and did not have an issue with their cars until the WRX came out...yada yada yada...well they got sued in California regarding their tranny for a boat load...which in turn almost put them out of business.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  34. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

so glad that didn't happen!

35. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I am aware of the budget process for warranty and about the trouble Suabru had wth the WRX but it did NOT almost put them out of business.

You know I used to be a SOA employee, right?

36. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

Well that's the thing, I don't want a heavily modified Scooby. At most, maybe a shifter, exhaust and intake. Tops - I'm aiming for it to be a DD

That's why the Starion is my toy car :D Yeah, I plan on keeping it, ironically that thing has been pretty reliable, even with a bad thrust bearing and my crank pulley moving out a 1/4" everytime I push in my clutch pedal and at idle the crank slides back pushing the flywheel against the t/o bearing. Makes driving it more exciting :eek:hnoes:

37. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Noticed you don't drive a Subaru.........or is the VDub your "other" car?

38. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

I guess not all employees were told that information.

39. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

patrick is WRX OG

40. Jake

Jake Active Member

his old wrx is actually up for sale.....

41. Stormhammer

Stormhammer Member

42. Matt

that silver WRX has been up there for a LONG time