05 WRB STI in N GA

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by gtaccord, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

My story starts when I took a ride over Wolf Pen Gap with my friend in his '08 WRX. That ride accounts for me buying my STI and also my other roommate buying his '08 WRX.

I purchased my '05 STI from Troncalli in Cumming in June. She had 27k on the clock and was in excellent shape. It even came with very nice window tint.

Here she was in completely stock form a few days after my purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first order of business was to swap to a WRX trunk and desticker/debadge. Thanks to Tray at Topspeed for the swap. You can also see the Cobb catback in these pictures. I just had to be able to hear that rumble and I figure it gives me a good foundation for future mods.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I went with RCE yellows and Group N top mounts for looks and function. I am extremely happy so far with these mods.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Last but not least I came across a deal I couldn't pass up and added some Work Emotion CR 18 x 8.5 +43 in bronze with blue Work lug nuts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next will be a V limited lip and a host of suspension mods (Whiteline sways and anti-lift kit and TIC Klunk Killer). After that it is on to stage 2.

I will keep you posted.

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Looking good!! Those Works are sex.

3. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Nice looking car. Keep us posted.

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

looking great, maybe a v-limited lip of sort if you prefer the lower front end look

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

Glad you made it on here. Welcome to the site!

6. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Now with more lip.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is my Christmas gifts.
    - TiC Klunk Killer
    - Subframe Lock Down Bolts
    - Kartboy Rear Endlinks
    - Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    - Ixiz Hood Lifters.

I will keep you posted.

7. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Nice! Like the SV650 too.

FYI- Kartboy is having a 10% off sale today if you're ready to move on those endlinks...

8. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Thanks.

The SV 650 is for sale.....

9. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Nice set up, those wheels are sweet! The lip looks good too!

10. redman

redman Member

Very clean STi man, keep up the good work.

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

its amazing how that lip sets off that car. looks really clean.

12. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

So Santa Claus does exist....

[​IMG]

TiC Klunk Killer (comfort)
    Kartboy Subframe Lockdown Bolts
    Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
    IxizConcepts Hood Lifters (not shown)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything is now installed and working as intended. Special thanks to my brother for the install help.

Next mods:

Front and Rear Whiteline 24 mm sways
    Whiteline Anti-lift kit
    Camber bolts for the front.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  13. Biggis

Biggis Member

Quit peeing under the car RAY RAY.:unamused:

I'm anxious to hear/feel the change with the bushings. ahem. I mean the LOCKAHS.

14. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

You know I can't feel that much of a difference but then again I haven't driven it very far yet.

It....communicates better is the best way to say it I think.

The bushings reduced the driveline shudder during hard shifting a good bit though.

15. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

UOA - German Castrol 0W-30

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  16. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Stage 1!!!

Thanks Monk.

[​IMG]

Sways on the way.

17. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Forced modification.....

So I had a little run in with an Integra. The good news is I won (damage to my car is minimal anyways). The bad news is there is damage to my car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The good news about the bad news is that I can upgrade to the jdm bumper beam.

[​IMG]

The car will be painted week after next and then she will be back good as new.

Sways and alk incoming as soon as I pay for the paint job.

I will keep you posted.

18. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Good as new....

[​IMG]

Now that that is over with it is back to performance mods. I will get those sways and alk yet.

19. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Oil analysis - GC 0W-30

[​IMG]

20. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Whiteline ALK!!

Finally got around to installing my Whiteline ALK and camber bolts. While I was in there I did the free caster mod. I also decided to try doing my own alignment which actually wasn't that bad. I set it to -2 degrees camber in the front, -1.5 degrees camber in the rear and 0 toe all the way around. I also picked up some TiC Fender Braces but I didn't have time to install them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was trying to show the camber in the pics up there but I am not sure it is evident. I will definitely be doing another photo shoot soon after I clean her up a little bit.

Between the camber change and the ALK the car definitely feels different. It has a heavier feel on center but turn in is definitely more direct and smoother. Everything just feels a little tighter. I can't wait to add sways to this setup.

I will keep you posted.

Edit: I had a chance to take my car over the mountains yesterday and I am really surprised at the handling improvement afforded from the ALK and increased camber. It's very noticeable and I can definitely tell that turn in and more importantly traction in the front of my car is improved. Understeer is definitely still there but point where understeer begins is definitely higher. Even my fiancee said she could feel a noticeable difference in the grip of the car. I can't wait to add sway bars to this setup!

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  21. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Oil Analysis and Dyno Results

I finally got a baseline (well stage 1) dyno run in. Now I am ready for stage 2!! Great meet. Thanks to Topspeed and all the wrxatlanta folks

[​IMG]

Oil analysis GC 0W-30

[​IMG]

22. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Nice! Looks like you've got a solid, reliable, fast effing car there, me friend.

23. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Thanks.

24. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

looks like a good start if you ask me!

25. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Swaybars....finally

I finally got the sways I have been wanting and talking about for the last year. I went with the Whiteline 24 mm adj (24mm - 26mm) in front and Whiteline 22 mm adj (22mm - 24mm - 26mm) in the rear. Install was easy and straight forward.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know that I need rear endlinks but I figure I will use these as long as they hold up and then get some kartboys.

My initial driving impressions (1 off ramp) is that the car is now very neutral but the tail will come around if I want it to. It definitely rotates a whole lot better. I never felt the rear of my car do anything before tonight. I am heading over the mountains tomorrow so that should give me a better idea of the difference that the sways have made.

Next up....more power (Stage 2).

26. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Update and more installs

Update:

So the update is for the sway bars. I had a chance to drive over the mountains today and holy s$%t what a huge difference. My car is completely different. It is very much point and shoot now with the accelerator being the trigger. The rear is very communicative and will definitely rotate on command but it is very controllable and not snappy or surprising at all. I just can't get over how much better my car handles. Sways get a big thumbs up from me.

The only downside is that I can definitely now feel the slop in the rear suspension bushings now so I guess that will go on my list. I thought I would be able to ignore them.

Install:

TiC Fender Braces. I have been needing to install these for about a month but since I don't have a paved flat surface to work on I really didn't have an easy way to get my car up with the wheels off to get these put on. So today I decided to take my bumper off 1) to repaint my lip 2) to reinstall it because the body shop that worked on it last didn't quite get it on there right. Soooo I figured that since my bumper was off I might at well take the fenders off and install the braces. The install was easy but I really hope I don't have to go through all that again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a quick test drive and I can't say that I really feel a difference. I "think" my car feels tighter and I "think" it made a difference but I don't if that is really true. I know that it didn't hurt and these were a gift so I am happy enough.

Next up I have the carlabs x brace in the mail.

After that.....stage 2.

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

SICK car, and you have good taste in mods.

28. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Thanks.

29. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Carlabs X brace

Installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just driving around for a week or so with the x brace installed I "think" that I can feel a difference. The rear of my car now feels like its connected to the front. The rear doesn't hesitate as much to follow the front. I thought that this feeling was a result of the rear bushings but the x brace definitely tightened the car up. I would say overall that the car is more responsive and it got rid of a few rattles and squeaks.

Now my suspension mods are basically done. I may replace the rear suspension bushings at some point to get that last bit of slop out of the car but I am calling it done for now.

I have my downpipe coming to me as we speak so stage 2 here I come.

30. SONIC

SONIC New Member

Great looking STi! You must have tons of fun with that thing up north.

31. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Stage 2!!!!!

So it finally happened. I feel that my suspension is 90% sorted out so now on to the powah mods. You all have seen all this before I am sure but here goes.

My poison of choice
    [​IMG]

The goodness
    [​IMG]

The not so goodness
    [​IMG]

Wow at the difference
    [​IMG]

Wrapped
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turbo Blanket
    [​IMG]

Check out my sewing skills
    [​IMG]

Turbo looks ok
    [​IMG]

Pile o parts
    [​IMG]

O2 sensor transfer complete
    [​IMG]

Midway through the turbo blanket install. These are not easy to install with the turbo on the car
    [​IMG]

Everything back in place. Looks pretty pimp to me.
    [​IMG]

My new favorite tool. It made the dp bolts so much easy to get to
    [​IMG]

The car as it sits. It's not clean at the moment but I thought it looked pretty awesome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My AP said I was making 17.8 psi which is on the high side of the range in the Cobb notes. Now I am really contemplating a protune. Initial driving impressions are all good. The midrange power is simply awesome.

Next mod: Mileage.....until after the wedding.

32. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

nice work

33. ryanowarrior

ryanowarrior New Member

nice work man. keep it coming :D

34. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

/get protuned!

35. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

I need to find teh monehs!!!

36. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

All good things.....

Pictures say it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I and my brother are ok although I spent three says in the hospital with a lacerated spleen. My brother was not injured.

This sucks so much. My car is totaled. I will be out of the Subaru scene for a while (hopefully just a year or so) but I am keeping all my aftermarket parts so I can be ready for the next car. Right now I just need something that is cheap and good on insurance.

But on the upside (for someone else) I will probably be buying my car back and the entire drive train and suspension is intact and undamaged. I will definitely be parting this out. I will post more when I know more but keep me in mind if you are looking for parts for a project or swap car.

37. jvk

jvk New Member

Damn. I saw you in sautee about a month ago and was looking for you on here since. not the way i expected to see it. Glad ya'll are alright though

38. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Yeah I have seen you around. I think there are 2 wrb wrx's in the Cleveland area if I am not mistaken.

39. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Glad you are ok.

40. 2thAche

2thAche Member

How did you manage that?

41. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Combination of slick wet roads, worn out Z rated tires and poor judgment on my part. Everyone thought I was going really fast but I wasn't. I actually slowed down for the turn.....but obviously not enough.

42. ryanowarrior

ryanowarrior New Member

damn man that sucks.....glad your alright. where did you have the wreck at??

43. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

In the curve right there at Mt Gilead Baptist Church on 115. I was coming back towards Cleveland from Dahlonega.

Yeah it sucks hard. I might have to bum a ride in the Evo every now and again to get my fix.

44. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Wow that sucks about the car.

45. calmnothing

Glad you are ok though

46. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yup ditto

47. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Thanks.

Turns out I won't be able to buy the car back but they will let me get the parts off of it. I will just save everything and get another STI in a year or so after the wedding is over. Hopefully I will have better luck the second time around.

48. calmnothing

Hmm wonder why you can't buy it back

49. ryanowarrior

ryanowarrior New Member

dang dude that aint far from my house. heck yea man anytime you wanna take the evo for a spin just holla at me....that is unless its raining lol. glad your ok though man

50. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

I can buy it back....but it is going to be quite expensive. I just don't think it will be worth my time and money investment.