E85!?!/!?/??!!/!!?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by steeleWRX, Oct 22, 2009.

1. steeleWRX

steeleWRX New Member

Hello guys.
    I was planning on running E85 in weekend worrier (S13) but I must sell to help fund my new DD/weekend worrier lol ( STi) haha but im still interested in E85 since there is a pump 7 minutes from my house.
    I understand what E85 is and i know you need bigger injectors to compensate for the 40% more fuel consumption.
    I've read some threads on IWSTI where people are making high 400's swhp/awtq. they say they are just running bolt-ons exhaust/CAI/injectors/turbo. and AP.

Is anyone on here running An E85 STI?
    I really dont want to Run to many engine mods.
    basically here's what i would be running.
    08 STI stock motor.
    CAI
    turbo Back exhaust.
    AP
    EWG/up pipe.
    and E85... eventually a bigger turbo but i dont really want to make shit tons of power. just maybe mid to high 300's safely with E85.

Also ive heard AP has multiple "logs/maps" could i have an E85 tune and a 93 tune that i would be able to swap, say if i were in bumble Fu*# and there where no E85 pumps. ? :)

thanks guys LMK what joo gotz

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

SargentPower runs E85 so PM him. Also Doug @ Topspeed has tuned several E85 cars so he is very familiar with them as well.

On a stock turbo you need around 820cc injectors. Upgraded fuel pump recommended. And a uber good tune which Sargent or Doug can do for you.

3. steeleWRX

steeleWRX New Member

ok u think a walbro 255 will be sufficient ?

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

On stock turbo, yes. 20g or bigger no.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Let Mike Sargent chime in for more specifics though as he has firsthand experience.

6. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I think CoolRex has pretty much filled you in on most everything. Walbro is fine on a stock turbo. Once you step up to a big one though you are going to have to jump more into the fuel system. I am doing a build now with my car that will be running either dual walbros with 2000cc injectors on E85 or Dual walbros feeding dual external pumps with the pressure jacked up on Bosch 1000cc injectors.

You can definitely get more power out of E85, but on the stock turbo you are not going to realize the full benefits. The stock turbo can only flow so much air before it becomes the limiting factor. I found that I only needed about 30% more fuel running at a lambda of around .81. The thing I found was you can lean it out a bit more (in terms of lambda...overall air fuel will still be a lot richer) and not use so much fuel. For anyone running E85 I recommend bigger fuel injectors, a fuel pump and a wideband o2 sensor with a gauge. That way you have the fuel you need and you can monitor fueling changes if they switch blends on ya.

Now with this being an 08 Sti, you do realize any warranty you have from subaru will be GONE once you start doing all this right? Just had to throw out that disclaimer.

7. steeleWRX

steeleWRX New Member

i understand the warranty will be gone. im not trying to immediately do E85. but i mean im pretty sure my warranty is already void with Stage 2 anyways. plus i dont plan on waiting until 60k or what ever to put a turbo on the car. im not trying to make 600hp on stock block for one pull. this is my DD. i just want EWG (to scare pedestrians) and possibly a bigger bolt on turbo. ( not trying to turn the boost up and run meth) the only reason for bigger turbo would be better gas mileage from lack of spool, more top end power (because the 08 boost fades pretty bad around 5k) and just to give the it a more prominent "turbo" car feel. * lag lag lag AHHH* ill most likely get a FP 20g or something of that nature and run 15lbs.
    the whole E85 question was just to see if people on here run it in STIs. and how they liked it. plus its a little safer than 93. but it sounds like a little to big of a hassle for a DD so im just gonna run good ole 93 and keep it OG until i have sufficient funds to treat my brand new car like a 240 lol.
    But seriously thank you guys and *when* i do decide to run E85 i shall ask'ith the more detailed questions. :)

8. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I've tuned a bunch of E85 cars too... Running it on the stock turbo would get a SOLID gain in TQ, but like Mike said, only a marginal gain in HP. E85 is a lot like running 109 octane race gas.

The bigger the turbo, the bigger the WHP gain from increasing octane.

On a stock turbo you might only gain 25-30 whp. On a 20G it could be 50-65 whp. On a 35R it's often 100+whp...

You get the picture...

E85 on your car should make 385-400wft-lbs and 320-335whp, so it would be nice.....

Siegel

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Humm... it always to more like c16 for me. Yes the octane rating is close to MS109 but because of cooling properties and slow burn you can run much more timing.

10. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Definitely agree. It also is extremely knock resistant!

11. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Commercially available E85 is not as consistent as synthetic racing fuel, I wouldn't want to push it as hard as something that you KNOW is ALWAYS going to be the same octane like VP C16...

Siegel

12. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Actually in running it for more than a year, I found that with the exception of when they change blends, it was very consistent provided that you get it from the same station. The station I used only used 2 blends so I was able to use just 2 maps.

13. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

E85 is really nice, Dan at Batlground just finished up a EVO that made over 450whp on E-85, thats pretty healthy power to be able to run everyday.

I would skip the stage 2 and go with a rotated turbo kit, there are a lot more turbo choices and they make more power and spool faster than comparable bolt ons. It works out to about the same price as doing a bolt on turbo especially if you are wanting to do an external wastegate. Its also much easier to work on.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

I think the point of going E85 is not to be constrained by the use and price of race fuel. Granted going with a dedicated E85 tune will put a damper on family vacations being planned around the nearest gas station carrying E85, $2.10 a gallon for E85 trumps the C16 all day for me. As for Ball, I'll leave the name calling for Tuesday night or when he returns my call, but he is right

15. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Nah, I just had a 93 tune waiting if I needed to go on a trip.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

True, but my vacation gas money is dictated by how much change I've saved up so that 0.80 cent difference would go a long way, that and now running a 0.96 5th gear limits distance covered as well