Car problems

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by dundunskeert, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Well I've been having a problem for a while that can no longer be ignored. It used to be right after I started my car within the first thousand feet it would bog down completely, then pick right back up. Now it has been doing it a lot more frequently. I'm pretty sure it is still getting gas because right after it finished bogging it really kicks on. So I tried changing the plugs and that seemed to help a little, the old plugs looked fine. I swapped coil packs which did nothing. I cleaned my filter k&n and made sure to use as little oil as possible. I also cleaned my MAF with electronics cleaner. So it finally seemed to fix itself until a few months later (now) and it's really doing it bad now. I barely made it home last night, came to a stop a few time going up hill with my flashers on.

The car idles fine and revs fine when it is not under load, My water temp was average aswell. It doesn't misfire, it just bogs really bad.

I'm 70% sure my MAF has gone bad, I would clean it but that seems to only be a temporary solution, should I buy a new MAF, does anyone have one laying around that I could borrow to see if it fixes the problem?

Thanks in advance for all help and responses.

Aaron

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it is the MAF sensor. I carry a spare in the car, just in case ;)

also, I've had the same issue before

3. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

How much is a new one going to run me?

4. Matt

about tree-fiddy...

seriously :unamused:

5. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I called Subaru of Kennesaw and they said they could they could sell me just the sensor fo $59. I then tried Subaru of Gwinnett three times and they finally answered an she told me it was $340, I told her subaru of kennesaw told me it was only $59 and all I needed was the sensor. She told me that the could only sell the whole thing then she goes OHH I found it. Hopefully it will be in tomorrow.

6. Matt

sweet. I may do the same thing. Only issue with getting JUST the sensor is there is a special tool for the 99 MAF. It's a certain size hex/star tool, which hopefully someone can chime in and say what size it is to get the screws out.

let me know what you come up with

7. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

It looks like a safety hex to me. The airbag control unit uses them aswell. I'll probably just cut the bolts so I can use a flathead screwdriver, then replace the with regular 8mm bolts. I'll let you know how it goes

8. slowdriver

slowdriver Banned

Its a recall part, if someone knows where to look the part is actually that cheap (dealer cost is something like $45 according to my sources) since its a KNOWN issue on ALL MY1999 hot film MAF equipped subarus...aka 2.5RS and Forester.

9. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Swapped out my MAF with one that I required on a trade and I am still experiencing the same problems. I'm going to check few other possibilities tomorrow, possible clogged fuel filter, possible intake leak, The MAF still may be the problem, I have also heard that the front oxygen sensor could be the culprit. No check engine light has come on, but I scanned the car anyway and did not come up with any codes. Any ideas?

10. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

11. RotorNutFD3S

RotorNutFD3S New Member

Hopefully no one gets mad at the noob for cross posting from another Subaru forum, but there's a good thread about what to look at when trying to diagnose this problem: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f13/t66391-hesitation-look-here-first.html

That being said, I helped a friend diagnose this same problem on his '00 2.5RS, turned out to be a bad front o2 sensor and he had no CEL. Then it happened again and it was his knock sensor, again, no CEL.

12. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Thanks a ton! I have another front 02 sensor that I'm going to swap on tomorrow.
    Your miata is sick btw

13. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I'll sell you a MAF for 75 bucks. You drive to my place, we test it out, and if your car runs like it should, i will sell it to you. let me know.

14. RotorNutFD3S

RotorNutFD3S New Member

No problem. Good luck with it!
    Thank You!

15. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Thanks for the offer. But I literally can't make it out of my neighborhood.

16. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

He also just posted it was $59 from the dealer. He has a RS and not WRX so I doubt your MAF sensor would work with his car.

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Someone could mail him a working maf?

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Ohh, my bad. I thought we were talking about WRX here. I know its 300 at DL for wrx MAF.

my bad.

19. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

To clear a few things up. A new MAF sensor, sensor only is $59. They try to sell you the MAF and the tube it comes in which is about $300 new. I borrowed a car and went up to Allpro today and got a front oxygen sensor and knock sensor from Brandon. Big thanks to Brandon!

I'm going to try put those parts on today and hopefully I get somewhere.

20. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I put the new oxygen sensor in it seems to have fixed it. I'm gonna drive it around for a couple of days to be sure, but it is definitely working way better than it was before.

21. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member