issues with the wagon

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 04redwagon, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

well im getting my wagon back. but it has an issue. at idle the motor sounds good but at 1500 rpms and higher it sounds like a rod knock. if you let it go back to idle it quits. no power loss is felt. i watched videos on youtube and all of them on there with rod knock dont sound like mine. the only one that sounds something like mine the sound was coming from the timing set. when i first heard it i stopped and checked the oil and it was full. i was driving regular when it started. was wondering what everyones ideas might be.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I have seen the egt probe back out on the uppipe and make a similar noise.

If the sounds is coming from the front of the car pull the timing cover off and make sure the tensioner is ok.

3. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

the sound is coming from the driverside towards the front.

4. WJM

WJM Banned

check for exhaust leaks and the timing belt tensioner.

5. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

i will check those things tomorrow.

6. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

well i started it today and now its doing it at idle. no copper flakes seen in the oil like some describe. i guess im gonna look for a forged assembly or 2.5

7. WJM

WJM Banned

check for exhaust leaks and timing tensioner?

because a forged assembly or 2.5 will not fix either one of those.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

the exhaust leak may go away when you put the new block in but thats not how I would fix it. too expensive for my taste

9. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

i looked to see if i could find any carbon build up around the gaskets and such.none were found. going to start pulling the timing cover to check that. this time when i started the car it was quiet until revved. as the car warmed up it got louder with the cars rpms raised from1500 to 2000 rpms. so as it heats up it gets worse. the problem started when i drove the car to work one day all was fine. about an hour later i left to pick up a part and i heard it. i thought it was the car next to me. as i pulled up next to a different car at a the next red light thats i noticed it was mine. i stopped check the oil and all fluids were good. so i babied her home.

10. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

well while i was looking at the car while it got louder and shut off. i bumped the starter but it wont turn over. so i guess it was a rod. time for a new motor.

11. WJM

WJM Banned

Then there is metal in your oil and you are not looking hard enough at the oil.