i have a jdm question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 04redwagon, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

well as most know i need a motor for my 04 wrx wagon. i bought a jdm twin turbo ej20 and trans for 1022 shipped. i have looked online but cant find out any information on the internals on both engine and trans. any help will be appreciated. i have heard of several using these motors converted to single turbo with good numbers stock.

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

heh. good luck.

there's a very wide range of EJ20 motors, so that designation doesn't really help. you'll have to do some leg work to make it work - more than likely the front diff ratio is different

there's a reason why they are so cheap

3. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

twin turbo or twin scroll ?

Q - paid $1k+ for motor and not sure what you got ? good luck

4. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

i know im gonna end up changing the rear diff due to gearing. its a twin scroll from what info i got from the company its a legacy motor. i have looked up the motor through other companies. a friend of mine has the same motor in his car and it dynoed 260 whp with just a front mount. i am changing my sensors and turbo set up over to the new motor. im just trying to find out about the internals. i wrote the engine code down but cant find the paper.

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Theres a journal on here where a guy did this swap into his old legacy. Look up Impreza_rsk or something along those lines. I believe the title was "its alive...."

Your looking at a big headache after seeing his post, not sure if you needed a full long block or not but you could have bought a wrx 2.0 longblock for cheaper or an sti 2.5L shortblock.

Good luck

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

7. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

im not keeping the twin set up im using my factory manifold. my trans is acting up so thats why i got the trans with it. my front diff binds up when hot.

a friend has the same in his car but it wasnt a factory turbo car. he dynoed 270 whp with a small turbo front mount and he used a aftermarket computer to run the car and be able to tune it.

8. Cory

Cory Member

The cam pick up sensor is not the same as yours and your ecu will not pick up the signal and the car will NOT run. I also think the crank gear is not the same.

9. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

It's not going to be that easy.

You could ask a tuner if maybe that twin turbo setup will work on a wrx with a usdm wrx ecu.

You could also take apart both motors and see what will fit as far as cams and valves and pistons and things to piece it together that way.

You could just drop in that jdm motor/tranny assuming you had the wiring harness to go with it. Then you'd have to rewire the car to accept everything.

You could use the tranny and sell the motor.

The reason why the twin turbo motors are so cheap is because they are so damn hard to use on a US setup.

10. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

im talkinh about taking it down basically to a long block and swaping my parts on to the new motor. my friend is running his on a wrx exhaust manifold and sti intake manifold.

11. calmnothing

Listen to this guy.

It's not as simple as you think it is going to be. A lot more people would have done it if it was that easy.

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

See if you can get a refund and cancel the order. Like has been said in here, if the motors were worth a damn they wouldnt be so cheap. They're cheap because somebody brought them over and cant sell them so they dropped the price.

You may be able to take the block down to a shortblock and add USDM heads/manifolds to make it work, but you'd have to ask an expert whether the oil/coolant passages line up.

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the passages will line up, just depending on what HG you use.

basically you're going to be swapping EVERYTHING over from your old motor. anything that feeds into the ECU will need to come from your 04. TPS, cam sensor, crank angles, etc

14. WJM

WJM Banned

You need to swap the heads too. The cams between the engines are not interchangeable and neither is the cam sprocket/bolt setup.

Do a shortblock swap and sell off all the other JDM stuff.

If you dont listen to us you will fail.

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

quoted for truth.

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

i'll do you one better, cuz i couldnt agree more VVVVV

17. WJM

WJM Banned

^^^^^^^^THATS FUCKING AWESOME.

in all caps. bitches.

18. WJM

WJM Banned

Now, going back to the OT here...

You can swap the crank trigger wheel no problem. Direct swap: slide old off and new on.

If you can figure out some way to install a locator pin in the camshaft to properly locate the 02~05 WRX cam trigger and make sure the air gap between it and the sensor is good and reuse the original bolt from the Legacy TT engine, it will work. At that point you just need to swap over all your EJ205 stuff (manifolds and electrics) and get some one to tune it.

The only other issue I can think of if the above is successful, the intake manifold bolt pattern is likely different. If it is, it is likely the Phase 1 vs Phase 2 difference thus you cannot bolt the Phase 2 manifold onto the Phase 1 heads w/out fabricating an adapter plate.

Once again, that this point, do a shortblock swap.

19. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

i will see thursday what all i need and can swap over. i also need to find a new rear diff to match the front. i know the final drive gear is 4.444.

20. calmnothing

For all that work you're not going to gain much. The shortblock isn't much stronger and the pistons and rods aren't either. For you to frankenstein together is going to be a lot of money and labor that could have been used to do better aftermarket stuff like cams or a bigger turbo.

Sell the engine whole and recoup some money.

21. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

In that case a JDM 5speed will work, or a USDM Forester XT tranny.

22. TheNewWazoo

TheNewWazoo Member

If I can butt in, where'd you get the engine/tranny combo?

23. 04redwagon

04redwagon Member

tiger japanese engines