Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Figured I would start a thread to find fellow android users out there.... Discuss what model you have, what apps your running etc.. I have the Motorola Droid. Its rooted and OC'd to 1Ghz. I have a shit ton of apps, which I'd be happy to list if this thread gets any hits...

2. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

htc g1, rooted and overclocked to 528ghz
    got it back in july and kinda PO'd with all these new android phones coming out:unamused: and now i'm stuck with it for 2 years:grr:

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ you mean 528Mhz? :) Yeah, I think I may have even made a mistake not waiting... There are a ton of new android phones coming out in the next 6 months/year... What are some of your favorite apps?

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Droid here. Not rooted. Not bothering with that. Running...OEM specs. :p

I have about 50 or so apps on my device I'll be willing to share as well.

AK notepad (like the bb app)

Amazon - works just as well, if not better than amazon.com

Android lightsaber - lol

Astro file viewer

Barcode scanner

Blocked traffic Free - cool game

Bump - works with iphones too!

coin flip - to flip....coins

dog whistler - doesn't work on animals too well, but good for getting kids to shut up

Dolphin Browser

droidlight - flashlight with camera flash

ebuddy - multichat program. works okay

flickrdroid

Google goggles

google sky map - constellations!

handcent SMS

Have2Eat - AWESOME location based restaurant guide

jewellust lite - fun game

jewels - same

Google Listen - listen to podcasts and other audio

Metal Detector - no idea how, but it works

Movies by flixter - cool app

Pandora - obviously

PdaNet - for free tethering

Photoshop mobile

Slacker

Steamy window - cool nonsense app

tapatalk - from nasioc - forum reader

Tip Calculator - I can do it faster in my head, but still

Twidroid - for twitter

ultrachron lite - stopwatch/countdown timer

google voice

word mix lite - fun word game

youmail visual voicemail

5. We all have androids here at TopSpeed. Nothing rooted or Overclocked...I should get on that huh?

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Its pretty awesome and easy... There is an app. called Sholesmod on the market, that roots the phone for you.. its way easy. It also allows you to Overclock (you have to download another app called SETCPU, but its free). Do a search on it on Droidforums.net and you'll find tons of info on it. There are other ROMS that do the same thing, but you have to enter a bazillion commands thru a terminal emulator which is still easy, but tedious and more prone to user error. Thats a great website btw, for all android phones.. but mainly the moto... I will list my apps soon, there is lots and I need to get some rest (night shift worker)...

7. Matt

so...sholesmod said to go to the website for a free download...I went there and it kept giving me errors.

I'm not planning on keeping this phone much longer, so I don't want to 'sink' money into it, even if it's only $6 for both apps. Thoughts?

8. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I have the hero. Pretty good. No rooting or overclocked. Is there a benefit for this?

9. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Decker rocks the G1 and Ashley and I use the MT3G. Mine's rooted on the Cyanogen Rom with the Enoch them and Ashley's is running the stock 1.6 rom. Google maps 4.0 is pretty amazing. Switches to Street View when it gets close to the destination.

Are y'all able to use Tapatalk to get on here?

Siegel

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I did it with the app on the market.. not the website... Should work both ways though so I'm not sure. $6 man.. loosen the purse strings in the name of awesome :)

11. Matt

I would....if I were keeping the phone. But I'm selling it. No point in doing that for a short amount of time.

12. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

What are you moving on to now?? :fone-whore:

13. Matt

I am a phone whore. I'll be moving to another android device...whenever they release them on Verizon, the greatest cellular network in America*.

My thoughts, only stated to piss 420 and nsvwrx off.

:rofl: :p

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

you bastard. Hope you pay the ETF.

15. Matt

:rofl:

what ETF? I'm sticking with the same provider. Only Google/T-Mobile is dumb enough to charge 2 ETF's for the Nexus One

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, btw the google + tmobile ETF comes to..350! ( they took it down 200 bucks) .. the same as verizon :)

17. Matt

which is still atrocious. that needs to go away.

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

holiday/dogfood version nexus one ;)

19. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

so my head hurts trying to read this thread. I feel like an 80 year old man trying to understand the internet.

20. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I was waiting for the Sony Ericsson X10 with Android to come out, but I may wait to see how the new Windows 7 Mobile works out.

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, i too am getting a WM7 phone.

22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

tapatalk doesnt seem to find wrxatlanta...really bothers me

23. Matt

not yet...the forums have to be set up for it. and they aren't....yet

24. DustySTI

DustySTI Member

I have the nexus one. Great phone. The resolution on the screen is a ton better than the other android phones that i have seen or used. I already had g1 and mytouch. Both were good, but the speed of the nexus one is so much better. No lag time at all. Also has multitouch built in without having to root it. (like iphone pinch to zoom in/out)

Better than other androids because (sorry have to brag :))
    unlocked
    don't have to root for wanted features like some listed below.
    5 homescreens standard
    faster processor
    thinner
    voice recognition 100% better
    bigger screen than iphone
    touch interface much better
    multi touch
    one touch widget bar allowing to control wifi, blu tooth, sync and brightness (instead of downloading widgets)
    5 megapixel camera with flash (like droid)
    lots of personal options.

Apps

Better keyboard
    handcent sms
    yellowbook
    urban spoon
    movies
    weather channel
    shazam
    easy note
    easy money (expense tracker)
    advanced task manager (great for ending apps hogging mem)
    google finance (stocks)
    pandora
    google goggles
    google maps
    documents togo(view and edit word, excel, ppt, pdf.)(android 2.1 comes with pdf viewer though)
    pkt auctions (ebay)
    key ring(dont have to carry barcode readers for gym or kroger etc)
    bunch of games (tetris baseball superstars, robo defense, kitten cannon, bejeweled, monopoly, battle for mars.

25. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

What other Android phones will be released by the summer?

26. Matt

By whom? HTC has 6 or so new android powered phones coming out, and Motorola/Samsung/LG have some coming out. Also, Dell and Sony Ericsson have some being released as well.

27. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Thanks for listing :) I'm allready downloading some of yours I didn't have. Get rid of Barcode Scanner and get Shopsavvy, its got the scanner and some other cool features built in. What exactly does bump do? I mean, I get the theory, but what info do you actually swap with someone? Is Droidlight better than Mototorch? Last question, how are you tethering when your not rooting? I was my understanding Verizon blocks that on stock phones... thus the need to root. My does it, but I don't have the need for it too much :)

28. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

For me, it was mainly to overclock, and to get features that haven't been released yet for my phone.. also to allow more customization. It gave me Multi-touch, pinch zoom (which Dolphin allready had to a point), wireless tethering, 5 home pages instead of 3.. and a lot more shit I can't remember. Phone is a lot snapier at 1Ghz than 550Mhz... How do you like the Hero? A girl I work with got one and it seems pretty cool..

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Hadn't heard of Tapatalk... downloading now.. Does it enhance forum viewing?

30. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Saw the WM7 demo last night... looks pretty sweet...

31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

My Droid has most of those functions, minus the pdf..(but I had to root/OC to do it). Sounds like your screen is larger. I'd be interested to compare resolution. I like that the nexus one is thinner and better looking... I was pondering waiting to get a N1, but found out was only on Tmobile.. I'm sure it'll be forever before Verizon gets it. How do you like Better Keyboard? Reviews seem really mixed... 1/2 loving it.. 1/2 saying its crap.

32. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

The hero is good. A little lagy at times, but can't complain. Haven't customized it much yet.

33. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok... here are my apps..
    android lightsaber
    any cut (makes short cuts for home page, like 1 touch dialing for contacts)
    apps organizer (allows you to make folders for games, internet related stuff etc..)
    Astro file manager
    Bloo (FB app, a little better than the regular FB app... but still shitty)
    Dolphin Browser
    drocap2 (allows for screenshots.. haven't figured out how to work it yet)
    Google Goggles
    Gs Droid for Xbox Live(ok app, allows you to check your friends online status etc)
    Handcent (must better than stock messaging app, cool iPhone bubble style)
    Missed Call (LED customization for missed calls and a few other things)
    mototorch
    Note Everything (note pad, kinda plain and crappy)
    Pandora
    PicSay (allows you to mess with your pictures.. resize, add captions and effects)
    Pure Grid Calander (Calander for home page, noticed Hero comes with this stock)
    SetCPU (Customization for OC'ing)
    Shazam
    ShopSavvy (Barcode scanner that give info about product and where to get it)
    Sportstap (good for checking sports scores, better than espn.com)
    Tapatalk (just got, don't know much about)
    Terminal Emulator
    Weather Channel
    WikiMobile
    Games (Solitare, Texas Hold'm, Speed Forge 3D, Blackjack)

34. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

So, I just installed android running eclair on my sdcard and it runs on Windows Mobile. Granted...the whole porting android to WM is still a baby and things like WiFi don't work and such...but every day it gets better as more drivers and updates become available.

Either way...I'm staying WinMo. Even though I walked into a T-Mobile store yesterday and saw them open a box full of iPhones. I tried to get a picture, but they caught me. Quoting the employee, "Um...what you just saw...is technically a rumor and thats all I can say."

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  35. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Wow.... its finally happening... I thought AT&T would have a stranglehold on the Iphone for the next few years at least.... very interesting. Are you running Android on top of WinMo or are they partitioned? How does that work exactly? Trying to wrap my mind around having 2 OS's on the same phone. I would think it would bog it down to nothing...

36. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

just switched from my G1 to the droid... and its awesome. I used to have to run the task killer app or my phone would slow down to being almost useless. But now with the droid I can have multiple widgets and run many apps at the same time like pandora and it never skips a beat.

37. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ yup, I'm loving it too.. Check out Droidforums.net... more info than you need :)

38. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

Android installs and runs from the SDcard. The phone's memory is at about 70% usage. Right now I have to take the battery out to get back to WM.

Dual boot is in the works.

39. integroid

Just curious if there is an app out for the android phones like apple has for finding out what song is playing? It take a sample of the song and then finds the song for you?

40. Doug@DBW Motorsports

How do you make it run at 1ghz?

41. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah. it's called....wait for it..... shazam. just like the iphone

42. Matt

with cpunet.

43. Matt

It's called Shazam and is on multiple platforms now. (iphone, blackberry, android) Not sure about webOS

44. integroid

LOL...I didnt know it was called Shazam to begin with:) but thanks for the info

45. integroid

Not on webos:(

46. Doug@DBW Motorsports

is this an app?

47. Matt

yes it is. It's in the market under tools.

48. Doug@DBW Motorsports

hmmm just searched... nada

49. Matt

sorry, I meant setCPU for root users

50. Doug@DBW Motorsports

gotcha... dang so my phone as to be rooted for it to work. Not that big a deal I guess..