Oil Filter-When is Subaru going to learn?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by integroid, Feb 18, 2010.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

2. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

3. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Pure one is quite good as well but the bypass pressure is too light unless you use the one with no drain back valve (forgot the number)

4. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Subaru will learn when they fail, Toyota thought they could get away with outsourcing LOL!

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

This is really old news and practice, nothing to get worked up over

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Use the H6 filter, it is JDM yo.

7. integroid

I already do:)

Not getting worked up....Just sick of people trying to tell me that the Fram filter is not identical to the Subaru filter.

8. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Does the H6 filter fit on the 02 WRX?

9. integroid

Yes

10. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

Has anyone tried the Filter that Napa makes?

11. DaveH

DaveH Member

I have always used the Napa Gold oil filter.

12. Alex

No, and I have little interest in trying it as well. I assume you use it? What results are you experiencing?

13. integroid

They are Wix Filters with a different sticker on them.

Ninja Edit:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  14. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

And how is that working for you?

15. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

I just put it on last week and so for so good. No problems really.

16. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

So I'm assuming that, thats a bad thing? sorry, I've always used Mobil 1 filters.

17. integroid

Nope, that is a good thing. Wix/Dana make great oil filters.

18. WJM

WJM Banned

Like others have said, its made by Wix/Dana. I used to work at a NAPA store and I know all the ins and outs of those filters. They are good.

Pure one is the best outside of the Tokyo Roki filters.

19. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Just that the Pure one Bypass pressure for our cars are much lower than the OEM

20. WJM

WJM Banned

Bypass valves suck. Every cold start, by this definition, means engine wear. Sediment settles to the bottom overnight and BLAMO, good morning engine wear.

Also, if the filter becomes clogged, opening the bypass valve is as bad as continuing to starve the engine of oil. It will destroy it.

21. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

Oh ok, well cool. Thanks!

I see. I've never used one of them before. But I appreciate the input.

Good info to know. I guess not many people are aware of that. I know I wasn't. Good thing I change my oil frequently to prevent the filter to clog. But it sucks that it still opens when the engine is cold.

22. WJM

WJM Banned

I'm going to test that actually....hook up a gauge on filter inlet and one on filter outlet and see what the differential is.

23. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

I see. I didnt think you could do that. Imma see if I can try to research it online and maybe peeps have already tried to test it. But let me know what the outcome of that is. Cuz that's interesting.

24. WJM

WJM Banned

Its not hard. The sandwich adapters for oil pressure/temp is reading the oil PRE-filter. I always install the sensors POST-filter in one of the engine block main galleys.

Measuring the oil pressure at the main galley under the ALT would be the best spot for post filter and using the sandwich adapter would be the best spot for PRE-filter.

If the pressure differential is............?????????? I dont know...need to hook up and find out.

25. integroid

Just a FYI - I picked up a few Denso Oil Filters last night. They were listed for 2002 Acura TL and when they came in, they are the exact same size as the H6 filter I have in the garage. They are very nice and I have read great reviews on them. They make the OEM Toyota oil filters and I believe use to make filters for Honda as well. They came with the o-ring pre lubed which I thought was a nice added touch. Will, you want to cut one open after I use it to see if they are worth a shit?

EDIT: LOL, after some research it appears both the Acura TL and H6 filters have the same part number from Denso. Maybe that is why it is the same size:)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  26. WJM

WJM Banned

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  27. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Necropost.

This Denso in the amazon link fits the 2.0 also? If its a good filter, it seems like a steal...

28. integroid

yes, it should fit. I know a lot of people using H6 filters on WRXs

29. Alex

Ive read on IWSTI that they're using the S2000 filter with good results.

30. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

What filter has good construction AND has the same bypass valve pressure as stock? Or is the answer none, which is why we keep going in circles???

Seriously it would be great if Will could provide some real empirical data provide a couple of different part #'s/ close the thread and sticky it. I would seriously donate $20 to Will to destroy a couple filters and find out real data relevant to what makes an excellent/good filter.

Bye... I'm going to bobistheoilguy for a few hours so I know which oil of the month to use in my next oil change.

31. Alex

I'm still loving the H6 thanks to Eddie and Will ;)

Keep you eye on IWSTI and NASIOC FS, sometimes you'll see the original black STI filters come up in a 6 pack.

32. integroid

Why not just use the H6 Tokyo Roki filter?

I have used the Denso filter and they seem very nice and have been well reviewed on a few sites.

33. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

and how much do they go for?

34. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

necropost again. i finally used the Denso i got off of Amazon for $5.50 before the price shot up.

good grief this h6 filter is huge, the element inside has to be close to twice as much area as stock and stock replacements. O_O

35. Alex

The h6 is awesome -- its like an oil rich hot tub for your motor.

36. Fafnir

Fafnir Member

This is really interesting. I wasn't aware that this was an issue in our cars. Is the Denso 150-1006 an H6 filter, and what most people use as a replacement?

I've been using Purolator PureOne filters for a long time, because of the good things I've read about them. Never caught this bypass pressure issue, though.

I've got a 2006 WRX - I guess the Denso 150-1006 fits?

37. integroid

Yes or you can get the pure one filter for the H6. Just look up the filter for a Tribeca. A lot of people are raving about the OEM Mazda RX-8 Filter on the Legacy boards. I havent had any problems with the Denso or the Pure One filters.

38. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ok, has anyone ever had a problem with any oil filter?

Ive been through my fair share of cars, and have pretty big list of car buddies. Poor oil filter performance has never been discussed or brought up?

What does a poor oil filter do badly?

What does a good oil filter do well?

I am mostly interested in what filters to pass on rather then what filter is the best. I have always used a modil 1 wrx oil filter, are those any good?

39. integroid

40. integroid

41. Alex

S2000 Filter Discussion? :)