Lets talk about tint.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by JWX, Mar 16, 2010.

1. JWX

JWX Member

So I need to get my wagon's windows tinted. I see someone recommend K&L in Norcross, anybody have any other recommendations? I'm thinking about doing it myself, I've tinted before although with cheap stuff. Seems easier to pay someone to do it.

I was also thinking about going with something light(like 20 or 35) on the two fronts and hatch glass but darker on the back doors and side windows(15 or 20, depending what I put on the others) The goal isn't really security here so much as trying to block some of the sun.

I also assume that it would be cheaper to do this in bulk, anybody know of anything coming up for this?

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

My front doors, front and rear windshields are 35%, rear doors and quarter windows are 20%

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

www.totalappearance.com

Ask too speak with Billy tell him Josh from ATD sent you and we will take care of you....

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

It is difficult to do a group tint day simply because to tint a car properly takes time. Generally speaking you want to do the process in a controlled environment that is low dirt/dust/wind, etc.

If you want to block the heat from the sun, look into a good UV blocker tint from a quality company. The darker number does not necessarily always mean it will work better than a higher quality lighter number...to a degree at least. And I am not talking about 5% here. I would recommend something like Llumar (http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoSolarControl.aspx)

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

did the whole front windshield just for UV protection

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

We just recently tinted the passenger side of Peds car. Bought the tint from a local place in Cumming, Solar something.

Like Alex said, the darker tint doesn't always block the most sun/heat. They had a display there, with a heat lamp behind a wheel with 4 different layers of tint. The lightest tint actually blocked the most heat from the lamp.

If you are interested in doing the work yourself, I would be willing to help. Peds front window came out really good. The back not so much, but we pulled tint off before applying new, and didn't spend nearly as much time cleaning the back window when we did it. For the front, we actually removed the glass from the door and thoroughly cleaned it several times.

7. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Which location? L'ville, or Lilburn? Or does it matter?

8. atlxkevinx

atlxkevinx Member

I've gotten my tint done here before. They do good work!

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

L'ville (770)717-0734....

10. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Seems like the "popo" is cracking down on tint (as per my numerous experiences/encounters (Dekalb and Forsyth) and a $90 ticket). Anything less than 32% is illegal (BS IMO). Sucks, but I just roll down my windows when I see the "po's" now.

420:
    We just recently tinted the passenger side of Peds car. Bought the tint from a local place in Cumming, Solar something.

Solar Works

11. tolnep

tolnep Member

ah... tint .. tint is cool..

i guess..

i was into sportbikes for a few years. let me tell you, being able to see the person inside the car and what they are paying attention to (or not) became a big issue that i have not been able to completely abandon even though i no longer ride bikes...

next time you see some dizz yaking on the cell, and not looking at what she's doing as she starts to scoot out into the road, think about it...

when i see a suv rollin on 22 inch rims coming fast to a stopping place in an intersection and i cant see em cause of the tint and for all i know they be yaking on two cell phones and i can hear the 1000 megawat base thumpin i get a bit nervous..

but tint be cool...

12. JWX

JWX Member

Thanks guys!

Have any pictures of your car?

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

it's those very people I tend to distance myself from, from the instructor, " keep your distance and leave a way out, even from your riding buddies"

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

There will be some posted soon

15. Trey

Trey Active Member

Atlanta Tint and detail in Norcross is great. I have used them for the last 6 cars i'v eowned over the years (since high school). Friends have used them as well.

Ask for Steve or John.

16. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

+1 Just had my wagon done there. It looks great and is a good job for a good price. I'd highly recommend!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

17. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

i've had 2 cars done at Atlanta Tint & Detail. Steve takes his time and is a perfectionist. 30% on the front, 20% rear back and a 25% strip on the front windshield. Should cost around $225.