WTF State Farm

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ben@TTR, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

Just got a letter from State Farm informing me that they are dropping the insurance on my STI as of March..Their reason is listed bc of claims but I have had only 2 claims on that car and both were a $100 tow bill. I dont understand how I can have ZERO moving violations/tickets on my record and I am dropped so suddenly over $200. The car was driven MAYBE 5k miles this year wtf lol.

Just a bunch of BS..if they dont decide to re-instate the coverage, looks like i will be taking my business elsewhere. :squint:

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

hrmm...I would just call your agent. I still use my agent back in Loganville b/c I went to high school with their daughter and we're still good family friends. They've gone to bat for not only me, but the rest of my family and I've never once had any issues with them. Just give them a call and see what they can't work out for you.

3. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

man that's crazy.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

Drew's right, talk to your agent as your about to get black balled.

5. WJM

WJM Banned

Thats insurance companies for you. They choose to, and can, drop you at any given moment for any given reason.

6. Protocol

Protocol Member

State Farm is friggin notorious for doing this. I have them for homeowners insurance.... but that's about it.

When I was recently shopping for insurance on my '10 STI, Progressive turned out to be the cheapest out of all of the major companies. $90 a month, and that is with elevated coverage rates!

7. WJM

WJM Banned

I have not had any issues with Progressive. I've been with them for 7 years, IIRC.

Esurance: they are good, but they will not tell you that they are not licensed to sell insurance in some areas and they will sell it to you anyway and then you'll get fucked.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had state farm for 14 years and with multiple claims, never had a single issue, never been denied a claim, etc...

definitely do what Drew said and call your agent and see what's going on

9. Protocol

Protocol Member

Hehe. Nice... Have they heard your exhaust yet? :eek3:

I know for a while a lot of insurance companies misguidedly listed WRX's as 4-door sedans without noting the words "turbo", but this was back closer to the debut of the bugeye in the US. They saw "sedan" or "wagon", "all-wheel drive" and literally it sounded as safe a a Volvo. Not sure about the STI back then. I know that now (I suppose from claim statistics) they classify it higher, and the STI even higher.

I don't see anyone under the age of 25 owning a STI and not paying dearly for it! Even for a 2010 STI I think I got a good deal at $90 a month. State Farm wanted ~$130 and All-State wanted ~$150... so on so fourth... that is with a spotless record also, plus I am 30 years old. After age 25 though, I believe there is little discount. Age 25 (for me at least) was a solid 50 percent price reduction, after I manually asked for a re-rate.

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

typical... you pay them every month, but as soon as you make a claim and make them pay they drop you.

11. Protocol

Protocol Member

Also, DeKalb county can eat a D.

$665 for ad-velorem tax... pfft. :unamused:

12. State Farm and Volvos are not a good combination. My friends brand new S80 was stolen and the kids smashed every piece of glass on it and took it for an off-roading joy ride. State Farm refused to pay for any of it even though she was on her parents insurance who had had State Farm for 30+ years with no claims. She had to fight really hard to get them to replace everything (the would not total it out). To this day it doesn't drive right and we still find pieces of glass. Another friend got into an accident in her Volvo and it totaled it and again State Farm refused to pay for it. She took SF to court and won a nice settlement.

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

My insurance was cut in half when I turned 25.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I dunno.....I got paid serious bank for my WRX even with keeping it and selling for even more profit. AND the coverage on the M3 with the deductible dropped from $1000 to $500 and the hit for totaling the WRX was cheaper than the WRX. SF was the cheapest for me out of any other insurance company when I added the house to it....they covered my house for double coverage and $600 cheaper than the competition.

State Farm ftw.

15. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

im with you. ive had progressive for 10years and had multiple claims for break ins and windshields and such. never been dropped. however i do pay annually instead of monthly.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

We all know you are special, so you don't count

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

[​IMG]

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Travelers here. Has State farm and got out after they dropped us.

19. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

State farm pays my bills so I cant complain to much. They are a bit expensive for me right now, but when I turn 25 I will prolly switch over to them since I do work for them.

20. WJM

WJM Banned

Exactly my thoughts on your case. :rofl:

21. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Just to give another view:

The Insurance Co will be more likely to drop you if:

A: you have more than 1 claim in 18 months in any cycle.
    b: They only sell one kind of insurance (car, house, etc)
    c: you only have one policy with them with few or no frills (roadside, rental, etc)

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

Well if calling for a tow is considered a claim then I guess your screwed Ben.

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

Funny thing is coolrex does hold his tongue like that when driving down the road

24. Brian

Brian Active Member

I haven't been a fan of SF ever since they made a sportbike "blacklist" in the 80's. A few insurance companies tried to get them banned by quoting $2k+ for liability on any sportbike.

Anyhoo, make sure you switch insurance before you're dropped. Other insurers may jack your rates if they see you were dropped. Switch first and drop SF!

25. Brian

Brian Active Member

I haven't been a fan of SF ever since they made a sportbike "blacklist" in the 80's. A few insurance companies tried to get them banned by quoting $2k+ for liability on any sportbike.

Anyhoo, make sure you switch insurance before you're dropped. Other insurers may jack your rates if they see you were dropped. Switch first and drop SF!

26. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I dropped state farm years ago when I got the WRX. They wanted about $300 more per 6 months than some of the other companies out there. I was with Allstate for a few, but have now switched to USAA. State Farm has had some serious complaints in recent years about their service. I would just look elsewhere man. You might even get a lower rate!

27. Jake

Jake Active Member

i have been on my parents allstate policy since i was 15. i have had MULTIPLE (~20-25) moving violations and lost my license at one point. my insurance premiums never changed a cent. then when i got in a wreck that essentially totaled my WRX (valued @ 10K, they wound up paying $12K) my insurance jumped to $3300 every 6months... needless to say i don't own my WRX anymore.

i just signed up with Geico for the Buell, just doing liability until may when a couple tickets drop off. we'll see how they are. so far, they were the cheapest AND most important to me the ONLY company open when i called the 800 number to buy a policy on a saturday.

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I refuse to even think about getting allstate insurance since they assisted a 2 certain family member in trying to get a fraudulate claim about an accident to go on my record serveral years ago.

Allstate is an awful company.

29. Kris

Kris Member

I have Geico and have had them since I was 16 and my family has been with them for ages and we've had no issues. Sorry to hear about your issue with SF though, hope it can get resolved without too much fuss.