My Blue 02

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Slowsoul, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

My Blue 02 (UPDATE: new mods/pics) 8-17-07

This is the story of how I ended up with my 2002 WRX.

I think that it was around 2001, at the time I was driving a 1995 Integra GSR...my 3rd Integra. I was planning on getting a turbo kit for it. However, the engine and tranny both needed some serious attention and I didn't want to spend the money on it.

Me and my buddy were working one day at Interland. We were wasting our time on the auto sites...overboost, superhonda, purehonda...etc...and we came accross a shot of the new 2002 Impreza WRX. We both agreed that Subaru had ruined the Impreza. I was pissed every time I saw a picture of the "new" bugeye. What were they thinking!?!? How dare they!?!?

Whatever, I got over it and continued drooling over R32s and R33s trying to figure out how to import one on my 28k a year salary.:cool:

Fast forward...a few months later I ended up losing my job at Interland and selling my Integra to get something more suited to what I was doing at the time...A lot of DJing and hauling equipment. So, I found a SWEET 1989 4runner! I drove it around for about a year until I had it out on a day hike at Trey Mtn (2003) and spun the bearings on the crank shaft...doh. There was a leak at the rear main seal...I should have known better. The 4runner went into my backyard and I borrowed my Grandpas 89 Fleetwood Brougham. Over the next year I researched my options...and I discovered that it was possible to swap the newer, stronger 3.4 V6 into my 89 4runner in place of the weaker 3.0 V6 that I had killed. That swap took me 6 months to complete. I finished it at the end of October 2004. I did it in my back yard with hand tools. After the swap I drove the 4runner around for about 2 years (that brings us to 2006), until a bunch of other maintenace issues started catching up with me...brakes, springs, shocks, starter...plus it was loud, dusty, no AC, no cruise, and the ladies didn't really appreciate riding around in it. So, I started looking for something more practical and comfortable.

All this time Subaru had come out with 2 new versions of the Impreza...I disapproved even more of the new models, and funny enough the bugeye had grown on me and had become my favorite Impreza, yes, even more than the GC8 that I used to love so much.

When I started looking for new cars, I was looking at the new civics, and mazda 3s, but I didn't really want to go for a brand new car. Mainly because all I would be able to afford was a boring base model. My sister suggested that I look at the Subaru Outback Sports...DUH! I loved the Outback Sports! I had completely forgotten about Subaru, it hadn't even entered my mind. So, I started looking for a late 90s Impreza Outback Sport Wagon in my price range...

nothing...

I couldn't find a SINGLE Outback Sport Wagon, that was under 7k AND a manual tranny...because there is no way in hell that I am ever driving or settling for an automatic.

Until one day...

I was browsing through the Autotrader classifieds when I came accross an internet special for a 97 Impreza Outback Sport with 120k miles for $2950.00! I was skeptical, but still hopefull. So I called up the dealership (SOG) and went out for a drive...it was an amazing car! It had passed the dealers quality inspection, and Despite the high mileage, the car still felt great! I realized that this was the car I needed to buy. So, I started negotiating with the dealer and we came to an agreement...however, nothing was set in stone. I wanted some time to think about it. So, I left...

5 miles down the road I had thought enough, so I went to my bank and pulled enough cash out for a down payment and headed back to the dealer. I get back, go inside and they were selling the car to someone else...!:eek4: WHAT! I hadn't even been gone 20 minuites.

I was SO pissed. That was my car. period.

So I left and continued my search...once again...nothing. It was even worse than before. I wasn't finding ANY Outback Sports with manual transmissions that I could afford. The closest one I found was in Maryland, and they wanted 7900.00 for it, and it wasn't even a nice color.

I came to the decision that if I was going to spend 7k on a car, I might as well spend a bit more and get a much newer car...enter 2002 WRX. I could go into the details, but to make a long story longer. I ended up finding a 2002 WRX with 72k for 13,000. I still hate that I didn't get that Outback Sport, because I had no intentions of modifiying it...at all. When I got the WRX, however, I went mod crazy. Although I love my WRX, I don't love my new debt.

Anyway...thats the story.

Here are some pics.

This is what it looked like when I bought it.
    [​IMG]

A month later I had new wheels (and a new lip spoiler).
    [​IMG]

A Month after this last shot I went a little too quick into a turn and learned about terminal understeer...right into a curb. Thank god the damage wasn't too bad. (Control Arm + Endlink+lip spoiler) Looking back, it was probably destined to happen. I was driving one of my dream cars...like an idiot, and I got what I deserved. I have slowed down considerably. It was like a balloon popping, or droping your ice cream cone, like I said it could have been worse. I got lucky, and I learned my lesson. I wish I had taken pics of the damage.

The previous owner really did a number on this car. I have spent a lot of time and money undoing crap ass work. It sucks, but it has payed off.

Here are a few more recent shots. I just got a new camera and I don't have it set up quite right yet. The depth of field is a bit short in these, so they appear out of focus.

Exterior mods since the last pics: I have removed my sideskirts, and installed painted OEM mudguards, and a STi Hood scoop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completed mods.
    Powertrain
    Cobb Access Port (protuned by SS)
    Cobb DP - Catless
    Helix Up Pipe - Catless
    Stromung 3" Cat Back Exhaust
    STi TMIC
    Drivetrain
    STi Motor Mounts
    STi Tranny Mounts
    Type RA 5spd Transmission
    Kartboy Shifter Bushings/Stay Bushings
    TIC Shift Lever Bushing
    TIC Tranny Crossmember Bushings
    TIC Outrigger Bushings
    TIC Rear Differential Bushings
    Super Pro Trailing arm bushings
    ARP Extended Wheel Studs. Front/Rear
    Suspension/Steering/Brakes/Wheels/Tires
    18x8 Revolution Mellineum (hibernation)
    16x6 Stockers (current)
    225/40/18 Falken Azenis
    PBR Ceramic Pads
    Mountain Rotors
    STi Steering Rack
    Perrin P.S.R.S (ALK)
    S202 Lower Control Arms
    RCE Yellows
    Koni Inserts
    Whiteline Steering Bushings
    Whiteline Subframe Lock Bolts
    Whiteline Ball Joint/Tie Rod Extenders
    Super Pro Trailing arm bushings
    ARP Extended Wheel Studs. Front/Rear
    Wating to be installed
    TIC 5MT Shift Linkage

As far as a turbo upgrade goes, I am pretty happy with the TD04 for now, but I have my eyes set on the TD05 16G...but I am also considering the VF34, and VF35.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Great journal :D

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Nice mods!

4. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Nice journal......What were your numbers like with the protune?

I should do one for my Blue 02!

5. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Thanks! I had fun writing it. I wish I had stressed a little more how funny it is that I ended up with a car I used to hate...with a passion.

I don't know...he didn't dyno me. ?!?! He actually didn't even use the dyno to tune...we did it on the street. That threw me off a little to be honest....

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning Scotts techniques at all, his experience speaks for itself, and he did a great job on the car, it feels awesome. I have just always wanted to get a car tuned on a dyno wether it makes a difference or not, and I go in for my first experience and we street tune it. Oh well maybe next time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  6. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

Don't forget though Marc, street tuning yields real-world results.

7. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

nice writeup man... it's funny how people come across these cars ;)

8. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Absolutely, like I said, I don't question his techniques...I just wanted to get on the dyno...never done it before.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

update!

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

so was that lip a total loss? cuz that is the lip i want!

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

Sorry about the accident man.

But I am digging the lone aquasock on your driveway in the first pic.

12. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Um...yeah. I couldn't even find all of it. Thank god that was all that broke, well, that and my control arm and end link.

I bought that lip from subydude.com for $150.00. I had to get it painted of course, but you could probably do a pretty good DIY paint job with paint from paintscratch.com. If I had known about that place when I got it, I wouldn't have paid someone to paint it. Sure the lip is a fiberglass replica, and the fitment wasn't too great, but you could really tell unless you got up on it.

13. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

A Few new shots...

I made it up to the mountains this morning, and it was beautiful! Foggy, light rain, windows down, no radio...bliss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Those pics in the mountains are awesome.
    Especially that last one!

15. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Thanks!

I really like the last one too! It would have been even better if I could have found my dads wide angle before I left...I think he sleeps with it.

16. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

MAN I miss my car so much now. :D (it's in storage while I'm deployed)

Great pics though, thanks for sharing. Glad you painted the side skirts and that lip is just right. You got any new plans in mind or her, or did I just miss em? I was also curious about your tire size but I may have just missed it too.

17. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Sideskirts REMOVED...not painted ;) Tires are 255/40/17, and if you are refering to the front lip in the first post...it was ripped off a while ago. :(

Currently, I am waiting on a set of 18x8 Revolution Mellenium wheels to come in, when I get them I they are going to be one of 2 sets in the US...which is not why I bought them, but it is a plus! Of course, then I am going to have to find a way to buy tires to put on them...doh. Here is what they look like.

[​IMG]

As far as future plans go, nothing imeadeate. I would like to keep this car for a long time 10+ years, make it a long term project. I am very happy with the car right now, and more imporatantly very broke. Eventually, I will upgrade the engine/tranny/turbo. Exterior modification wise, I have found a source for the 2001/02 WRC widebody kit for sale from a company in Canada. It comes with everything you need to make a replica (at least the look) of the WRC Impreza, but it is 6 grand. Hopefully the kit will still exist by the time I can afford it.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  18. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Here is a my first night shot...not too bad, I need a few more lights.

[​IMG]

19. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

18x8 Revolution Melineum mounted with 225/40/18 Azenis.

[​IMG]

Next on the list.

[​IMG]

20. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

very nice!

THose AP calipers should help fill the void from the 18's.

21. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Some of you may have seen my "CAR FOR SALE" post in the classifieds a little bit ago...after some more thinking I decided against selling it. I really think I would regret it down the road, and more importantly I wouldn't have been able to replace it with anything better.

So, she stays.

I had to take my 18s off because the tires were done. Fortunately, they were not my only set of wheels. While they are off, I am considering having a few rashes repaired and possibly refinished in another color.

I stuck a set of stockers back on to hold me over for a bit. I will also be removing the tein coilovers and replacing them with a set of RCE yellows paired up with konis. The coilovers are just unneccesary for me...but it took me buying and using them to finally understand what everyone says...only buy them if you really need them. Meaning...if you have a need to adjust and readjust your ride height and dampers on a REGULAR basis, then you need them. Otherwise, find some springs, you will be happier...and less broke.

From what I have read about the RCEs I think that I will be very happy with them.

There is a funny story behind the konis. A while back, I had purchased a set of konis off of a guy parting out a show car. He gave me the set for a steal. I was going to pair them up with an Eibach pro kit. I ended up installing them and running them for about 24hours, and I decided that what I really wanted was coilovers (see above). SO, off they came and up for sale. MMTASTY ended up buying them off of me. He was happy, I was happy. That was about 2 years ago. Just the other day, I was looking through the wanted section here when I came accross BERZERKLO's wanted thread...he was looking to put a stock suspension back on his car and remove his current set up...which happend to be a set of konis. I just so happend to have a complete stock suspension avaible, and I offered him a trade. Well, it turns out that BERZERKLO bought his WRX from MMTASTY...with the konis on it that I had sold to him, that I now have back in my possesion. I guess it was providence.

Here she is as she sits today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  22. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I have pondered the same about my bug but I will drive it until the wheels fall off............................and then get another set and keep driving LOL! Good decision!

23. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

It was a beautiful day today, and I couldn't resist throwing my woe out 18s back on and snapping a few shots.

I installed the Perrin ALK this weekend as well, and I am now sitting on a 100.5" wheelbase and 6.5 degrees of caster, and it feels great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  24. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

from all the wheels you had, i like the stockers the most.

25. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

To each their own.

26. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

SOLD 3/23/10.

This has been a long affair...