Blaster's CGM Wagon (Louder "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger")

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by blaster, Jan 30, 2010.

1. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Guess it's about time I get started with a real journal (not like this one: http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22482).

Gather 'round, children, and hear the story of my CGM WRX Wagon…

[​IMG]

I shouldn't have this car. I never wanted this car. I just wanted to get an Impreza Outback Sport with a 5-speed. Coming from an underpowered Civic and a rickety AND underpowered Integra, I figured the 175hp was enough. As you all know, that's just not true.

Having no luck at all finding an OBS with a manual, and getting lots of pressure from all my coworkers, and even vendors, to "GET THE ONE WITH THE SCOOP, MICHAEL!" I went to look at a WRX in Tucker. The whole ride out there I was repeating, this is a bad idea, this is a bad idea… I had the same mantra when I was walking around the car and looking at those shiny red brakes, and even moreso when I actually drove the beast, but no matter how much I thought she would get me in trouble, I fell in love with her instantly. Now I imagine boost being a lot like crystal meth – one hit and all you want is more. (Hmm, crystal meth, crystal gray metallic WRX wagon… Coincidence?)

Just a few days later, I was in the doghouse for buying a new car, but dammit, that car was mine. That was October of 2008, and I've only become happier and happier with the car as time goes on, even if frustration/bloody knuckles/aggrivation is what makes a Subaru a Subaru, love's in there somewhere, I'm sure.

I started out simple with working on the wagon, first just learning how to change the oil and reading up as much as I could on anything and everything else. With some help from all of you, I've gotten more into wrenching, performing my 60k maintenance, and doing brake pads and lines. Now the only real reason I want to mod is so I have reason to spend more time working on the car. As difficult as it can be, it's just one other thing I love about my wagon.

Current mod list is short:
    Cobb Stage 1
    Whiteline Rear Strut Brace
    HPS Pads
    Stainless Brake Lines
    K&N Drop-in Filter
    Killer B Radiator Shroud
    Killer B Alternator Shroud (a little bling never hurt anyone)
    Ikea Mudflaps (to keep my Swedish meatballs clean)

Current plans for the car are a bit more ambitious, but not crazy:
    20mm Sedan Rear Sway (waiting to be put on)
    Kartboy Solid Endlinks all around (waiting to be put on)
    Sedan Control Arms (also waiting to be put on – stupid no garage, dirt driveway, and rainy weekends)
    STi Springs with Paranoid Fab Saggy Butt Spacers (again, waiting)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the future the front sway will be upgraded to a Whiteline 27-29mm, and the rear a 22mm. Wheels and headlights will be painted black once it gets warmer, and a matte black roof is in the works, too.

I eventually hope to go stage 2, picking up an STi intercooler and VF39 as well (of course with an AP), but that's a ways off.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. blaster

And on the seventh day, God (finally) said "let there be solid endlinks and a sedan rear sway bar."

I've been waiting freakin' forever to put this junk on.

[​IMG]

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Nice -- install the rest!

4. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Very nice. You can ALWAYS come to my place and use my garage and tools.

5. blaster

Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks for all the help, and in some cases the parts.

6. blaster

Finally bit the bullet and got an AP. Just flashed Stage 1 and so far it feels real nice.

7. blaster

Thanks, she's got a loooooooong way to go.

8. Protocol

Protocol Member

I can't wait until you get this puppy installed.

[​IMG]

9. blaster

Is that a turbocharged building?!

10. Protocol

Protocol Member

Pretty much. I could very well live inside of the heat shield area.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

Damn it Lee, I told you not to post pics of my build...

12. blaster

Where does the bathroom go?

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

that's not a turbo, it's the a/c compressor

Ball is building a rotated kit for it as we speak and Seagull is the only one who can tune it.

14. Protocol

Protocol Member

Sorry. Of course anyone that went to the Georgia Dome could see it on the "engine train".

Well, amazing given the size, it's internal. The shit then flows down to the wastegate. Ahh, drumroll. :dirty:
    ROFLTRUE.

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

doug could make it faster.

oh snap!

16. blaster

Dear Member Journal,
    I'm probably not working on the wagon this weekend. I'm as sad as you are.

While I'm not updating you, please enjoy everyone else's comments.
    _
    Michael

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. radarblips

radarblips New Member

Rofl :rofl:

Great looking wagon brah, I'd be in one now if I didnt have my 4doh

19. blaster

Oh jeez… We've got a lot of catching up to do.

Since the last update I've painted the headlights, tore out the grille, wrapped the roof in flat black vinyl, failed to swap the front suspension to sedan track (see favorite mod), installed a wagon FSB, 04 STi springs, and today new (to me) wheels and tires (thanks BKiller). That's the short version.

The long version of the upgrade story includes lots of help from El Presidente, lots of broken tools, lots of swearing, and lots of time. Ask about it at a meet and I'll be happy to share, but it's a bit much for here.

Also, as soon as my IAPerformance spacers come in, it'll be a little louder inside, too, thanks to UpsideDownDesi and his speakers.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but I think the gunmetal stockers look bitchin' on a silver wagon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I do want to add, in regard to my Killer B alternator cover, is that Chris at Killer B is THE MAN. A bit of custom mounting hardware broke, and was replaced at no charge as soon as he could get it to me a while ago. More recently, the cover itself broke at one of the mounting points, but with an email to Chris, I had a brand new cover, totally free of charge, in my hands the very next day. You just can't get service like that nowadays.

20. Alex

You know, now that you bring it up -- Ball still has that breaker bar. He mentioned he'd have it replaced under Snap-On warranty for me.

How did the cover break? Are you hanging onto it or something? :p

21. blaster

I really don't know how the cover broke, but Chris said they had some "manufacturing issues." It was at the driver's side where it connects, and the new one he sent definitely has a bigger tab there.

22. Alex

Strange indeed. Also, you need some proper non-cell phone photos of yer car :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  23. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

Looks good, does you wagon have factory tweeters?

24. blaster

It does. I hope they can keep up with the new 6.5s. Looking at the magnets on the stock speakers vs the new Kenwoods is downright sad.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

there seems to be some trash on the front windshield, might want to clean that up before posting the proper pictures of a very nice clean wagon.

26. blaster

I see what you did there…

Seriously, though, this wagon's been clean maybe twice since I bought it. Kept up, yes, but clean? No.

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

a bath, debadge, desticker and color match the rails is about all you need.

28. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

K good, i was planning on using my stock ones too. From what i remember reading about them, the speakers have but in inline-corssovers so you should be good. LOL enjoy the new found sound.

29. Alex

My vote was for him to strip and polish the centers of the roof rails for a more euro look.

[​IMG]

30. blaster

Took the speedwagon over to Juston at Six Star and got a new clutch put in. Haven't had much time back in her yet, but she's never felt so smooth. The pedal had always been a bit stiff, and now it just glides.

The best part: Juston fixed my rear defrost! Not sure how it happened, but one of the spades split on the connections on the glass. Anyway, works now.

Up next, putting the IAPerformance spacers that just came in to work on the Kenwoods I got from UpsideDownDesi. Probably get into that this weekend.

31. Alex

LMK if you need a hand with the audio install :) Also, how did Juston repair the defroster?

32. blaster

He did some Dremel magic, jammed a wire in the coil, soldered it, attached a spade, and voila. He said it worked at the time, and would probably hold. I told him that even though he did it for free to try it out (or as a very welcome value-add), I'd be sure to come back and bitch if it broke again.

I owed him that much after he made that crack on my pulley cover.

33. blaster

Just wanted you guys to see how sad the stock speakers really are. The new Kenwoods are going in today.

(stock pictured left, Kenwoods on right)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]