Changing STI rotors

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by baddriver, Aug 27, 2009.

1. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Well my replacement rotors and pads have arrived and I'm going to have to remove and reinstall the brake calipers to get the new rotors on.

I was browsing NASIOC and I ran across a few threads where a few people were snapping the heads off of the caliper bolts when trying to remove them. Has anyone heard of this and would they have tips for avoiding this sort of situation?

There was also mention of using or not using anti-seize on the bolts during re-installation of the calipers. There was also mention of graphite based anti-seize products being a no-no with aluminum. Anyone heard of this or is it noise?

Lao woudl anyone have teh torque specs handy for teh front and rear caliper bolts for a 2006 STI?

Thanks,

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

3. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

4. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

6. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Putting my new fronts on today (and braided lines) at my buddy's shop. I'll let you know if there is anything weird. Definitely going to use 80ft-lb on the front bolts. And probably anti-sieze.

7. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

I've changed rotors a couple of times. You really just need to get something to keep the calipers from stressing the brake lines. I use a wire clothes hanger and throw it away when I'm done. I hook it on the strut or spring or whatever. And I hate doing it.

And, it's time for me to do it again. My Carbotech's have eaten my front rotors.

And, I've never had any prob's getting the rotors un-screwed. It feels like I'm gonna break something, then it lets loose and I'm on my way, thankful that once again I've kept my knuckles. I'm a software guy. This "nuts and bolts" stuff bothers me.