Who has good quality component speakers in their Subaru? 6.5"?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Alex, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I am interested in hearing your setup if you have a good quality set of components up front. I listened to Integroid's DLS's over the weekend and they sounded superb. Just interested in hearing a couple other brands before I make up my mind. It would also be a plus if you've already deadening your doors.

Let me know!

2. techlord

techlord Active Member

I have the blaupunkt slimline series but no amp on them. They sound good but with our cars if you don't matt the doors it will vibrate the aluminum.

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I have infiniti perfect (or references, can't remember) in mine fed via a dedicated amp

4. Alex

Yeah I also have Kappa Perfect's fed via Amp. Ready to dump them :)

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

You won't find anything that sounds better than the DLS in that price range:) Just Sayin

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I've deadened my doors and have semi-decent 6.5" two way speakers, run through an Amp that removes all bass, just like a Crossover that comes with a component set will have.

My speakers are Phoenix Gold somethings that I picked up from Frys for $10 last year. I bought a couple sets because the price was too good, and may have a set available if you like them on the cheap.

7. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Phoenix gold rsd's?

8. Alex

You may be correct :)

Thanks for the offer, we'll see.

9. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I just got a set of Polk 6.5" components that I'll be putting in soon. Currently have Polk 6.5 slim fits, but there just isn't enough "bass" for my taste.

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

Integroid used to judge audio competitions in the mid 90's, he knows SQ when he hears it....just sayin' :p Of course, I still have my 6.5" MB Quart components from 1996 and love them with my PPI amp. lol

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

w00t, 1500 posts!

12. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

n00b!

13. integroid

The older MB Quarts are still one of my all time favorite speakers.

Like I said to you last week, the only thing that comes close in that price range are the CDT's. The Polks, Infiniti, PG, etc are just your typical no frills retail speakers. I have never been very impressed with them. You also have to remember we have very limited space in our doors. The great thing about the UP6i is that it uses a neodymium magnet which is tiny. Also, the x-overs are of the highest quality. If I had to do it over again, I would still choose the DLS speakers but maybe try some of their higher end speakers.

[​IMG]

14. jeb

jeb Member

15. integroid

Oh yes, JL Audio...the last of the great american car audio companies. I am using their amps and woofers in my car. Use to be sponsored by them back in teh day and their quality has only gotten better over time. Most companies these days go the other direction. I think their strong points are in their subs and amps. THeir full range speakers are awesome, but still think the others I mentioned above are a little better. Of course, this all my opinion......everyone's ears are different so what sounds good to me might not actually sound so great for you. I guess my ears are trained to what things are suppose to sound like in a competition environment and that doesnt always mean it will sound good for you. Best advice would be get in another Subaru that has a close setup as what you want and listen. Sound deadening, amps, speaker placement can make a huge difference on how things sound. My setup is the best you will get out of those speakers in the mounting position they are in. The only they would sound better in my car would be to make some enclosed custom kick panels. Just didnt ahve the time to all of that but I think the placement of mine still sound very good for what it is.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

Have JL in my truck, been tempted to pull them out and put in the wagon so many times

17. Alex

Wirelessly posted

I am in complete agreement with you here Eddie. Your setup sounded killer and best of all it is accomplishable within my budget.

I simply was curious what else was out there installed in an enviornment like mine :)

JL has been suggested to me recently as well but I think their woofer design is geared stronger towards hip hop, electronica and rap.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

I'm ready to ditch my infinity kappas as well. I have them all around. They are definitely a marked improvement over stock, but after hearing better quality speakers it's time to go.

19. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

My ears like the following:

Higher end JL Audio, older MB Quart or Diamond Audio Hex's

I had Hex 600 components in my old wrx and I loved them.

I bought another set to put in the Legacy, but I might sell them..

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

how so? 98% of it is enclosure design relevant to the driver specifications

21. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I have their (JL audio components) speakers and they sound great no matter what I am listening to.