Catless downpipe and emissions

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Protocol, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Protocol

Protocol Member

Hey everyone. This has probably been beaten to death over the years, but I want a clean answer from people here instead of some random ass on the interweb.

I currently have a Cobb catless DP installed. I'd (of course) like to pass emissions. From what I understand, ODBII testing is all that the state does on newer vehicles, and perhaps a visual inspection. I run a Cobb AP as well. When they go to scan my vehicle, they aren't going to see anything out of the ordinary "electronically" are they? It's going to read just fine since Stage 2 maps disable the "rear O2 sensor faulty" code I believe. The ECU should also report normal emissions levels, etc.?

The visual part I'm sure I would fail if they check, but my solution for that is to weld (or bolt) my stock DP heat-shield to the Cobb DP so it looks like I have a cat installed.

What do you guys think? Can I get away with this? I'm pretty sure I'd never get forced to do sniffer test right?

Thanks!

-Lee

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I think you should not give two shits about it since you have a new car that won't need emissions for another 2-3 years.

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

You will be fine as long as you dont have any cel's on the car.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

what eddie said...however, the state of GA is cracking down more and more on visual tests...granted, you have that pimpy cobb heatshield that hides the downpipe a good bit...you might be able to get away from the visual with that on the car.

And as Drew said....don't worry about it as you have plenty of time before you have to get it done.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

There are other cats and us hillbillies don't know the difference between at cat and a resonator anyways

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

he's moving to texas anyway

7. techlord

techlord Active Member

the only thing you have to fear is a visual inspection, I go to a place run by all mexicans and I guess they are just used to not looking.

8. Protocol

Protocol Member

This is true. I am making a formal post about it, but I am indeed moving to Texas. All out of state transfers, regardless of model year must get inspected.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Well I doubt you will have to worry much with the texicans then

10. Protocol

Protocol Member

Yeah, I think from a "safety" standpoint I might ask Nicad to use his welding skills to tack that factory heat shield on there this weekend. At least then I can always have deniability. Knowing my luck, I'd go to the one inspection place that has an ass that whips out the mirror on a stick and goes around the entire car.

I'm going to be so busy for the first few months that I doubt I will have much time to worry about anything with my car... to the point where washing it might become something I have to schedule!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

can't weld without an argon tank sorry dude

12. Protocol

Protocol Member

Well damn. Maybe I can just drill holes in it and bolt it on. Anything that I can do just for inspection times.

I would be correct to say that they wouldn't waste their time to do a sniffer test correct?

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

My friend stuck that mirror under my car and said, "Yup, you deff dont have a cat on this car" and gave me my receipt.

14. The state of georgia now instructs all emissions inspectors to do a visual check for a cat..That being said if it looks like you have a cat and no c.e.l.'s and a good gas cap then you should pass.(and yes this topic has been beat to death before)

15. Protocol

Protocol Member

Good, good. Then I should be fine then with the anti-cat "heat shield" job. It will look good enough when I get done with it!

16. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You should be fine.

I passed emessions, but I failed the visual. So i just welded my heat shield around the DP make it look like i had a cat, and I went to another person and passed.

17. Protocol

Protocol Member

Nice! Does anyone have a welder (and can weld) my factory heat shield to my DP?

I'm not sure what metal the factory heat shield is made out of, but anyone with the proper welding knowledge would be able to weld it I suppose.

I'll throw in $50-$100 depending on how much bullshit it takes to get the job done. Welding would be better than me trying to bolt/clamp that piece on there.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

probably some kind of shitty pot metal... 309 filler rod should do the trick

19. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Some places dont even give a crap, as long as they see it under there. If you're in law I can give you a place where they just care if you have something down there. Doesn't matter if its taped up or welded up.

20. Matt

Why not get to Texas and see how they are on emissions before doing this...plus you don't need emissions here for another 3 years, so I wouldn't sweat it yet.

21. Protocol

Protocol Member

I check with them and Texas is going to inspect it immediately when I get there in order for me to get Texas plates. I need the Texas plates in order to get a toll-way tag, so I can't wait until the Georgia plate expires. Texas does their own inspect yearly regardless of the model year. Mine is a 2010, but I still have to get the full inspection and emissions tests ran. They will definitely check for a catalytic "look-a-like" device down there. My Cobb DP is entirely catless so it's very easy to look at and see that it is a straight pipe running to the cat-back.

I just need someone weld the stock catalytic converter heat shield to my Cobb catless DP for me so it will appear that I have one for the visual inspection. From what I've been told and also read, Texas is pretty thorough with the visual inspection...

Is there anyone here who has the resources to do this welding for me?

22. Matt

nicad welds...if he can get the gas.

*snicker*

23. Protocol

Protocol Member

True... probably doesn't have the right stuff tough beside the gas. I wonder if Ball would do it?

24. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Why not jack up your car, turn few bolts, install your stock exhaust. Pass the emissions, come back home, jack your car up again, turn few bolts, and put w.e. you have now back on.

25. Protocol

Protocol Member

That's such a bitch to do though. My luck, turbo studs would break off... that's just my luck though!

If I can't get someone to weld that heat-shield on, then I'll just modify it when at least it can be temporarily attached somehow just to pass the inspection.

26. Protocol

Protocol Member

Does anyone know of perhaps a "retail shop" that wouldn't give me hell about doing this? Preferably someone that they have used before for welding or exhaust work.

27. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

I know someone in Flowery Branch if you want to go up there. Looks like it would be a good drive for you though.

28. Matt

yeah, I'm willing to bet this will be an under the table, cash only, no warranty thing if you go somewhere like Merlin Muffler

29. Protocol

Protocol Member

Screw it. I'm going to Summit tomorrow to buy a high-flow cat and then have someone (probably Grand Muffler in Marietta) weld it in place for me. Hopefully they can do it with the DP still on the car. I would think taking it off in order to cut the pipe and weld this piece in would be overkill... Grand Muffler appears to do good work for a decent price.

30. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

take it to baltground and have them tack the heatshield on

31. Protocol

Protocol Member

I really wanted to do that, but that damn heatshield is rediculous. After cutting off 5 of the 14+ welds required to get it off of the pipe, we gave up. It's actually not big enough to fit over the 3" pipe without some doctoring. I really weighed the time I would have had to invest in making this fake cat looking contraption versus just buying a $100 HF cat and having it welded in. With just one of these, I doubt I will miss much, other than the nice sound I get now. Still, shouldn't be a deal-breaker.